I'm a Bio Major but what if I don't get into Medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBatman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any Bio Major's in the same situation as me? How many Bio Majors that graduate with a 3.5 30 MCAT minimum stats don't get into any MD school?

Members don't see this ad.

Any Bio Major's in the same situation as me? How many Bio Majors that graduate with a 3.5 30 MCAT minimum stats don't get into any MD school?

The search function is your friend. This topic was discussed several times already.

Then you're screwed, because bio is a dead-end degree.

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep applying until you get in. In the meantime, teach, or find a meh job.

Antonio-Banderas-computer-you-got-me-yospos-reaction-13677939419.gif

lol non bio major checking in

thats why you don't major in bio brah

Yeah......... that sucks. What are your other interest? I was in your zapatos once. I wanted to be a biomedical sciences or a nutritional science major. Later on, a reality check hit me(lol), what if I don't get in? I need major that it is useful in life, thus I major in women's studies(lmao), kidding. A business degree was the answer. Just stay away from the over-flooded business degrees like, marketing and management.

Last edited:
Jumping on the hate train, I was a neuroscience major, and it was a *****ic idea. How are you supposed to specialize in neuroscience as an undergrad when you've never been exposed to real research? I panicked when I realized I was about to graduate. And then I decided I had to get into med school...

You have three realistic options:

1) Start on your masters.
2) Become a teacher.
3) Military.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bio major, Low 30s MCAT. Great GPA.

Didn't get in anywhere. Had a few interviews.

Stopped teaching at the end of this school year. Can't imagine another year of the same stuff (in my 20s still, btw). If I don't get into school this cycle, probably will be going back for BME or something and trying again in a few years.

Wish I did BME or any engineering originally or got my degree in nursing.

Unless you're a biology person and sincerely like doing that stuff, stay away from the degree. Despite what some university pre-med boards try to tell you, you aren't going to learn med school before med school. I'd be tempted by a Botany degree if my college offered it, but as is, two and a half years' worth of animal behavior and development and bacteriology that I don't need sounds pretty disagreeable to me.

Chemistry, on the other hand, offers some spiffy backups and fantastic compensation, provided the idea of working in a chemistry lab all the time is worth it to you.

Then there's the humanities degenerates. We can...uh...write gud I guess.

Seriously though, see if you like it before abandoning ship. If it's a genuine interest, it'll show just like it would if it was a 'pre-med standard'. Biology strikes me as the English major of pre-meds in that a lot of freshmen start there because they don't really know how they want to reach their ends, but figure it's as good a place as any to start. But if I could talk about gene expression in Cornish game hens in the same way I can about the divergence of the Ostrogoth and Visigoth tribes, I'd be all over that business.

Don't worry, there's always dental school!

That was a joke, BTW

That was a joke, BTW

Dentistry and pharmacy are still viable options. :thumbup: :laugh:

Even podiatry, which seems to be the best "kept secret in medicine." I think there was a thread over there about that recently. :lol:

But if you don't immediately get in, there are still options to salvage your candidacy for medical school, such as pursuing a specialized masters degree/certificate or even taking some time off.

That was a joke, BTW

Well, all you would have to do is take the DAT and shadow a dentist. Its a little easier to get into then medical school.

If you can handle looking at teeth for the rest of your life...

If you go to a prestigious school just go into finance or something, they'll hook you up.

Nursing is underrated. Excellent profession that can get you almost 100k/year.

It's not always about the money. Sometimes it's about the status and the extent to which you can interact with and develop a professional relationship with patients.

Also, dental school isn't much easier to get into than medical school. The average stats are lower, but there are far fewer dental schools. And it would still take a good year or more to throw together a reasonable application, since you do need to demonstrate interest in dentistry. So basically, unless your application is horrid and more hopeless than the Jedi Order after Executive Order 66, you might as well use the time to try again.

What about the Bio Major URM's with high gpa good mcat

hmmmmmm

Dentistry and pharmacy are still viable options. :thumbup: :laugh:

Even podiatry, which seems to be the best "kept secret in medicine." I think there was a thread over there about that recently. :lol:

But if you don't immediately get in, there are still options to salvage your candidacy for medical school, such as pursuing a specialized masters degree/certificate or even taking some time off.

I don't understand how people can do this. These programs are very expensive and they give you like, at best an 80% chance of getting into medical school...provided you do really well in the program. There is absolutely no way I would take that kind of monetary risk.

OP- If you can add Statistics or Computer science minor, that can help achieve a viable plan B. Assuming you don't get in any MD school in first attempt, you can try to get a research/lab work and apply next year. If that doesn't work, you may do MS in Bio/genetics/Bioinformatics. This will help you get a decent career as plan B.

You could also take a community college certification program (they may differ by state) for a phlebotomist or a lab technician. You usually need about 3 quarters (about 2~2.5 semesters) worth of classes, which could be done over a few summers I imagine.
Getting certified for EMT is also a good plan IMO.

Coming from a non-biology, but most likely as "useless" of a concentration (Cognitive Neuroscience), I'm confused by this thread. Are the vast majority biology majors pre-med students? :confused: Perhaps our school was just weird, but my impression was that most biology majors did NOT want to go to medical school, but rather had post-graduation plans that centered around graduate school, industry research, policy, even consulting, or other specific projects they felt strongly about.

Coming from a non-biology, but most likely as "useless" of a concentration (Cognitive Neuroscience), I'm confused by this thread. Are the vast majority biology majors pre-med students? :confused: Perhaps our school was just weird, but my impression was that most biology majors did NOT want to go to medical school, but rather had post-graduation plans that centered around graduate school, industry research, policy, even consulting, or other specific projects they felt strongly about.

No. You're getting that impression because you're on a pre-med forum :p

Most of the bio kids I've met are either pre-med or some other pre-professional (pre-dent, pre-opto, pre-pharm, etc)

Dat derr investment banking (hedge funds) $$$$$$$

Though it is unlikely you will manage to break into IB (unless you go to Ivy/other top schools), getting a degree in finance/economics is still good and has many good job prospects.

TheBatman said:
I'm a Bio Major but what if I don't get into Medical school?
Fight crime in Gotham City.

Reactions: 1 user
Though it is unlikely you will manage to break into IB (unless you go to Ivy/other top schools), getting a degree in finance/economics is still good and has many good job prospects.

But it's boring, meaningless shill work.

If it was meaningless then the jobs wouldn't exist.

Plenty of meaningless jobs exist. Without going deeper into it, financiers today are like the dukes and barons of yesteryear. They play a role in the economy, but not a productive one. That is to say, they facilitate, but IMO not in any meaningful way.

If somebody "finances" a factory, for example, they don't actually contribute any of the labor, resources, etc, to its construction and operation. They are simply in possession of capital, which gives them a title and "allows" them to finance factories. They aren't doing any more for productivity than landlords in feudal Europe did (and arguably, landlords did more since they were also military protection).

I have been asked that question once or twice as an incoming Microbiology major. I honestly do not think about it that much, I focus on working hard and setting myself up to have a great chance at admission.

Other threads on this topic usually suggest a post-bac if you are refused first cycle; however, if you have had so many unsuccessful cycles applying MD and DO that you are done then commonly listed alternative careers at the Master's and Doctorate level are...
Physician Assistant
Epidemiologist
Podiatrist (of course this will be very similar to medical school)
Audiologist
Occupational Therapist

Last edited:
you try making spreadsheets and presentations all day and call it meaningful while emailing people at 3am to show them how hard you're working

What is your email?

Sorry but you just worded that the right way to trigger my neurons.

Most the time there's no reason to be blind-sided by not getting in anywhere and stuck with a undergraduate degree you don't plan to use. As a biology major, myself, who has little interest in pursuing the career opportunities that it qualifies me for, I just don't understand how so many people get to their junior or senior year without being honest about the strength of their application. Why put yourself in a high risk situation like that without making adjustments? I'm not saying there aren't situations where everything rapidly took a turn for the worse, and there was no way someone could've foreseen it, but in most cases I've heard about...

But it's boring, meaningless shill work.

That's a subjective assertion right there. Economics/finance degree can be very useful and interesting, though I admit some of the applications can get a bit abstract (and mostly redundant and systematic).

Plenty of meaningless jobs exist. Without going deeper into it, financiers today are like the dukes and barons of yesteryear. They play a role in the economy, but not a productive one. That is to say, they facilitate, but IMO not in any meaningful way.

If somebody "finances" a factory, for example, they don't actually contribute any of the labor, resources, etc, to its construction and operation. They are simply in possession of capital, which gives them a title and "allows" them to finance factories. They aren't doing any more for productivity than landlords in feudal Europe did (and arguably, landlords did more since they were also military protection).

But the point is someone still needs to do that job.

you try making spreadsheets and presentations all day and call it meaningful while emailing people at 3am to show them how hard you're working

I actually have done it in internship form.

Its a different type of field, but calling people with jobs in finance, economics etc. meaningless is an arrogant claim. On topic, its just another field you can go into. Doing a bio/econ double major isn't that hard either.

I don't get the "just teach" attitude. Getting a teaching licensure is more than just having a BS in biology. There are several semesters worth of courses that one must take to get it. By the time you have completed the necessary requirements, you could have already reapplied twice.

At my school it is possible to get a biology/secondary education degree, but that is reduced bio content and a significant amount of teaching content. You would have to know well in advance you want to go that route, assuming you wanted to graduate in 4 years.

I don't get the "just teach" attitude. Getting a teaching licensure is more than just having a BS in biology. There are several semesters worth of courses that one must take to get it. By the time you have completed the necessary requirements, you could have already reapplied twice.

At my school it is possible to get a biology/secondary education degree, but that is reduced bio content and a significant amount of teaching content. You would have to know well in advance you want to go that route, assuming you wanted to graduate in 4 years.

In some states, I hear that you can substitute teach with a bachelors in anything. Just need to take a teaching certification test and pass the background check, as far as I know.

But the point is someone still needs to do that job.

I actually have done it in internship form.

Its a different type of field, but calling people with jobs in finance, economics etc. meaningless is an arrogant claim. On topic, its just another field you can go into. Doing a bio/econ double major isn't that hard either.

finance is "let's take all this money and move it here. oh btw we want a chunk of that cash". economics is "let's assume this and make a whole argument based on selected data despite the fact that this doesn't correspond in any way to real life". pretty much the reason why austerity in europe was a huge failure
behavioral economics is legit though

Psychology major here, my fall back is accelerated BSN programs, Would that be out of the question?

I lol'ed. I was originally going to write up a lengthy explanation of how you're wrong but then I saw you're an hSDN member, so I decided not to bother.

finance is "let's take all this money and move it here. oh btw we want a chunk of that cash". economics is "let's assume this and make a whole argument based on selected data despite the fact that this doesn't correspond in any way to real life". pretty much the reason why austerity in europe was a huge failure

And medicine is "this person has a health problem, here let me prescribe this course of treatment."

I still don't understand what you're trying to get at, at all, especially after bringing austerity in Europe into it. All I was saying that these are fields which have relatively strong job prospects as well.

Basically, this. Finance capitalism will collapse in the next few decades, if not sooner.

If you don't get into MD with a 3.5/30 then go DO and become a physician. The End.