I'm accepted to a school i don't want to go to...Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freemds

Attending fed up with CMGs
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was only accepted to one school but its in Detroit (Wayne St.) and I...well mostly my wife, don't want to go to detroit because of the crime and cold. We also don't want to go because it is so expensive (45K). I have a lot of research, clinical exp with handicapped indiv, a 32 on mcat, and a 3.6 GPA. I feel that I should have been accepted to more schools but I was a late applicant due to retaking the MCAT. So does anyone have any advice on whether I should turn down Wayne St. and reapply, or any advise on Wayne St. in general? I wasn't too impressed with it.

Members don't see this ad.

Some food for thought:

1. You should not have applied to a school in a place you did not want to be.
2. You should have withdrawn your application before they were given the chance to accept you once you saw it was a place you did not want to be.
3. Never bite the hand that's been kind enough to feed you.
4. You may get to Wayne State and realize you absolutely love it.
5. It's expensive, but where there's a will (and a loan application), there's a way.
6. Turning down a perfectly good acceptance may send a warning signal to medical schools, making them wonder: "How dedicated to medicine is this person if he would turn down an acceptance based on location?" They may also reference points 1 and 2. And 3 and 4. And 5.
7. This may be more of your wife's problem, but it's going to reflect on you because you're the applicant.

That said, at the end of the day, you have to do what's right for you. Make sure you're willing to live with all of the possible outcomes, good or bad.

I wouldn't go since it sounds like you would really despise going there. You need the right enviroment for you to excel as a physician in training. I would say otherwise if your stats were bad, which they are not. Another year off from beginning your studies is not going to kill you especially since you will probably gain admission to one of your more preferred schools next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
you'll need a very good excuse next year for the admissions committees if you decide to reapply.....quite frankly it doesn't look too good to turn down an acceptance.....and the process is such a cr*pshoot anyway that there are NEVER any guarantees.....

Remember that schools will ask you if you've been accepted to med schools previously and you will need to answer for that---needless to say, I doubt it will be looked upon as a positive thing.

I also think you need to consider how much of a crapshoot the application process is. Your stats are good, but not super duper great, so there is a smidgen of a chance you reapply and not get into *any* schools. Med school is a crapshoot in that even if you are academically qualifed, it only takes a nonacademic reason for them to say 'no' to you, and I'd wager rejecting an acceptance is considered a nonacademic reason.

Also, I think you are in the wrong forum for asking this. This is for people who are applied and didn't get any acceptance so most will probably tell you to go anyway. You may get a less biased response in the med/premed forum.

You're lucky you got into any school, and if you really want to be a doctor then you'll go to Wayne. Don't feel like you're entitled to any acceptances to any med school-- there's a guy in the pre-allo forum who is standing empty handed who scored a 38 on the mcat and has gpa of 3.89. And need I mention Wiggy?

Rescinding an acceptance and reapplying next year is a big red flag to admissions that you're not really dedicated to becoming a doctor. It's only four years, Detroit can't be that bad, Wayne is a good school, and med school is basically med school regardless of where you go.

Make sure you go into this with the right attitude, though. If you go in thinking that "I could have done better, I deserve a better school than this..." then you're going to be miserable and so is your wife. You're sitting pretty with an acceptance in your hand, a piece of paper some 17,000 other kids would kill for. So enjoy your application success and put things into perspective.

ljh55 said:
So does anyone have any advice on whether I should turn down Wayne St. and reapply, or any advise on Wayne St. in general? I wasn't too impressed with it.

Try this blog from Kat. She's been writing about Wayne State since February of 2005. It should give you a good look into the school.

Hmmm, don't know what to say about this.

On one hand if you are looking for assurance, I can testify that Wayne is a good school, and you obviously aren't from the region and don't have the slightest clue about what Detroit is all about. While some parts of the city suck, the suburbs are as nice, if not nicer, than what you'll find just about anywhere. The area to the north of Detroit is per capita one of the wealthiest in the country. I am sure your wife would love living in some of those places. As for the cold, get over it.

One the other hand, based on your attitude, I would love to take the spot from you and give it to one of the hundreds on the waitlist who would kill to have the opportunity to attend Wayne.

ddmo said:
Hmmm, don't know what to say about this.

On one hand if you are looking for assurance, I can testify that Wayne is a good school, and you obviously aren't from the region and don't have the slightest clue about what Detroit is all about. While some parts of the city suck, the suburbs are as nice, if not nicer, than what you'll find just about anywhere. The area to the north of Detroit is per capita one of the wealthiest in the country. I am sure your wife would love living in some of those places. As for the cold, get over it.

On the other hand, based on your attitude, I would love to take the spot from you and give it to one of the hundreds on the waitlist who would kill to have the opportunity to attend Wayne.

As someone who spent years applying I'll echo ddmo on this one.

And I'll also echo MediMama23's first point - why apply somewhere that you weren't willing to go?

Detroit really is not as bad as its reputation would make everyone think. Maybe that rep will eventually get better.

Take two index cards.

On one write "Medical School at Wayne State University, Detroit, an LCME accredited medical school in the United States of America."

On the other one write "Very high possibility of never-ever going to medical school in the United States of America."

Put the two cards into the order of preference. That's your answer.

Medical School admissions only get more competitive every year - check out the MSARs from the last three years.

Turning down the acceptance to Wayne State will do more harm than an early application will do good. Some schools I've heard will discard you right off the bat.

I can sympathize with you if you decide to roll the dice and shoot higher, but I think the more time you take to contemplate this, your current acceptance will become more appealing to you, especially as the realities of the grueling application season manifest themselves in May and June. Life's too short to spend another year filling out secondary applications and camping out at the mailbox for any news.

As for the cold, you'll likely be studying so much that you won't have a lot of time for the great outdoors anyway. Few things are more frustrating than trying to study for a crucial exam while a bunch of attractive co-eds are playing in the quad on a balmy February afternoon.

I would definitely take the bird in the hand, but if not, I'll take some solace in knowing that you'll make a fellow applicant very, very happy.

Detroit would eat you and your wife alive. Don't go.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't be Foolish! Like others have said before me, there are literally thousands of qualified applicants who have your stats or better that would be dying to have that acceptance at a solid school! You should not have applied to the school if you had any reservations about going there before the process had begun. My opinion :suck it up, put up with the cold for 4 years and then go to a warmer, more desirable place for residency. You will definitely regret letting this acceptance go....are you really willing to go through filling out all those primaries and secondaries, spend thousands of dollars on interviews and roll the dice again next year? Your stats are solid but not good enough in my opinion to take this chance. Average MCAT scores are going up every year....by next year the average matriculant might have an average score of 31-32, making your current stats even less competitive.

cold? you are talking about Detroit as if it is Ulan Bator (the coldest capital city in the world), or at least northern Minnesota...please.

crime? there's plenty of crime to go around in parts of Atlanta, Miami, even Syracuse - almost anywhere you might go to med school

sounds like you should sit down and think about whether you really want to go to med school or not. And whether your wife is really behind you, or whether she's worried about a lot bigger issues than crime and cold.

cost? now there's an acceptable reason for turning down an acceptance. But where else are you hoping to go, and how much less is that going to cost you? And how much are you going to spend on reapplying and interviewing in order to try to get there?

And to avoid the whole Detroit scene (and prove you truely love your wife) you can allways move to a fringe suberb/town near by and do the commute every day.

Touchdown said:
And to avoid the whole Detroit scene (and prove you truely love your wife) you can allways move to a fringe suberb/town near by and do the commute every day.

I second that. It's been a year or so since I've driven through that part of D-town... but I'm sure within a 20 minute drive you can find a safe place to live. My freshman year in St. Louis was the year STL took Detroit's throne of #1 crime in the US. So oh well, I just made sure to be more careful.

As the last 10 people have repeated, you'll be taking a huge chance by turning this down. Anyone who's went through the admissions process would know how hard it is to get in anywhere and how random (for lack of better word) the adcom's selection can be sometimes. At any med school there are thousands of applicants fighting for one or two hundred spots. Good luck with your decision.

Touchdown said:

:thumbup:

When I was a kid my father worked for GM in Detroit for years. Yet I don't think I've been to the actual city Detroit more than once or twice, because we always lived somewhere nice (Ann Arbor, mainly; also West Bloomfield) within a managable commute. Google maps says my old houses are 36 and 49 minutes from Wayne St. SOM. If these places aren't acceptable, you're going to have a hard time finding a school that 1. will take you after declining a spot at Wayne St. and 2. is in a location that is acceptable.

An acceptance to medical school is worth gold. Many, including myself, have spent years pulling out our hairs while on waitlists, please don't take the chance of becoming one of us. An acceptance in hand is worth two in the bush. Opportunities like this in life present themselves very rarely if at all, so if you want to become a physician, go to Wayne St. :thumbup:

MediMama23 said:
Some food for thought:

1. You should not have applied to a school in a place you did not want to be.
2. You should have withdrawn your application before they were given the chance to accept you once you saw it was a place you did not want to be.
5. It's expensive, but where there's a will (and a loan application), there's a way.
6. Turning down a perfectly good acceptance may send a warning signal to medical schools, making them wonder: "How dedicated to medicine is this person if he would turn down an acceptance based on location?" They may also reference points 1 and 2. And 3 and 4. And 5.
7. This may be more of your wife's problem, but it's going to reflect on you because you're the applicant.

That said, at the end of the day, you have to do what's right for you. Make sure you're willing to live with all of the possible outcomes, good or bad.
8. You don't NEED to live in Detroit.
9. 1000 other people will be going to med school there, so it can't be that bad.
10. You'll see cases that others can only read about, since this is inner city.

Definitely defer for a year and re-apply. I was in the exact same situation having been accepted to The Ohio State and hating Columbus. I re-applied to a school that was in a more family friendly place and I am so grateful that I put off med school for a year to go to the school that I will be attending soon. I used the fact that I turned down a school like Ohio's to show my fervor for going to the school that I am going to, and it became a positive. Not that the admissions committee asked or even cared anyway.

defer a year and reapply. this way, you have a sure acceptance while you try your hand at what may be impossible.

also not to sound misogynistic but she needs to learn her place. this is not her decision. this is your career, not your wife's. be a man.

Definitely go there or at least defer for one year. Don't turn down the acceptance since many people did almost as good as you did or better than you and did not get accepted to ANY MD school. [Yes, it is a crapshoot] I got a 31 MCAT with a 3.7 GPA and didn't get an MD acceptance, only a DO acceptance. This was 2 yrs ago so a 31 then = 32 today. You'll get to like the place when you get used to living there, and the worse that could happen is you'll suffer a few years. But it is worth it.

crossjb said:
Detroit would eat you and your wife alive. Don't go.

ive lived in detroit for over 10 years and i m still alive...remember people tend to exaggerate, so dont be so arrogant. btw, wayne state is a great school, you are lucky to have been accepted.

yourmom25 said:
defer a year and reapply. this way, you have a sure acceptance while you try your hand at what may be impossible.

also not to sound misogynistic but she needs to learn her place. this is not her decision. this is your career, not your wife's. be a man.

Oh Please. When you get married, you lose the right to think only about yourself. It's a partnership--his wife has just as much say over where they should spend the next 4 years as he does.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to Wayne St., live in the western suburbs where the old folk live, commute everyday or just watch all the lectures online. If you end up liking the area, you will get in to any residency you want in the midwest...

dr.z said:
Defer a year and re-apply.

The question that hasn’t been asked (but needs to be explored) is: what is Wayne's policy regarding getting a deferral?

Personally, I don’t know since it was never an issue but there is always the chance that a school (Wayne, in this case) might refuse to grant a deferral.
I think it all comes back to the previously mentioned point that if the OP really does not what/refuses to train at Wayne than he should have withdrawn his application as soon as he realized that and saved himself (and Wayne) having to deal with this.

ljh55 said:
So I was only accepted to one school but its in Detroit (Wayne St.) and I...well mostly my wife, don't want to go to detroit because of the crime and cold. We also don't want to go because it is so expensive (45K). I have a lot of research, clinical exp with handicapped indiv, a 32 on mcat, and a 3.6 GPA. I feel that I should have been accepted to more schools but I was a late applicant due to retaking the MCAT. So does anyone have any advice on whether I should turn down Wayne St. and reapply, or any advise on Wayne St. in general? I wasn't too impressed with it.

I don't mean to sound rude but get over it. I am a pre-med at Wayne State and I would LOVE to live on campus. The city of Detroit, particularly Midtown is wonderful. Don't believe all of the negative take it from someone who knows. I would also do anything to get into the medical school at Wayne State and would pass up many other schools to go there because of its strengths (surrounded by 8 hospitals...8!!!!!! that are almost entirely dedicated to the Wayne student body.) Doctors from Wayne are known for their excellence so you really should not pass this up. And if you don't want to live in Detroit you can live in any of the suburbs. Oh and in case you didn’t know Wayne States campus is safer than most other public universities in the state.

ljh55 said:

Are you for real?! I would crawl through broken glass covered in pig manure for a shot at Wayne State. Too bad some slots go to people that don't deserve them.

You should ask wayne state if you can defer and reapply. Some schools do let you do that. That said, With a 32 and a 3.6, you're far from a lock to get into a 'better' school. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Blah Blah Blah another proverbial statement about greediness. Blah Blah Blah.

PLK7905 said:
Oh Please. When you get married, you lose the right to think only about yourself. It's a partnership--his wife has just as much say over where they should spend the next 4 years as he does.

Ah, but isn't the real issue here about the partnership? I'm guessing the OP is either new to marriage, has communication problems, or whatever else you could imagine would put him into this situation. Maybe it was trying to be a man that got him into the jam in the first place? :D

Seriously, folks, I know this isn't the venue to discuss this sort of thing, but I have such strong feelings about it... just... can't... help myself!

So, yes, marriage is a partnership. For any of you NOT yet applying who might read this, please oh please make sure you discuss everything with your S.O. before, during, and after. Of course I applied to places that I'd rather not live... and where my husband really didn't want to live... but we discussed it ahead of time. Ironically, my first acceptance came from the region that we ranked lowest as a place we wanted to go! But this is life. He wouldn't have been happy to move to a really cold place and to have to change jobs and find a new home on top of leaving family, etc, but he would have done it for me... and for us. Yep, becoming a physician is what I want to do, what will make me happy. I am part of a unit of marriage, so what makes ME happy, makes US happy... and he realizes it will be a long road but that it's an investment in my happiness and my career goals, as well as our future.

Hm, maybe he'd be less understanding if I wanted to become a starving artist. <j/k :laugh: >

Seriously, though, be very good at communicating with your spouse/SO about your goals and the sacrifices. Make sure they are on board so you don't run into problems like the OP did. If they truly love you, they will certainly be supportive and do what they can to help-- including turning their lives upside down for the next 7-12 years (depending on residency). I have seen so many marriages break up over grad school/ post-docs/ med school/ and residency, it just makes me sad. You'll be so busy, too, that communicating will be the only way you won't grow apart (unless you are one of the few who have spouses also in med school). Life evolves... and so must relationships.

OP-- best of luck with your decision. If I were you, I'd really have a serious sit-down with the wife. The Detroit suburbs are fine. Being another who's not fond of chilly weather, I understand-- but keep in mind this is only 4 years... residency can take you anywhere. Plus, really, it's easier on your med school career to not be too close to a beach. ;)

:luck:
FD

MediMama23 said:

My thoughts exactly. I really don't think this guy should have been accepted there with this kind of attitude.

pmtdenna said:
I would crawl through broken glass covered in pig manure for a shot at Wayne State. Too bad some slots go to people that don't deserve them.

Oh yeahh, I would drag my resin-coated face through two miles of broken glass to get into medical school :)

You should have talked about it BEFORE YOU APPLIED. Suck it up, or tell 'em I'm coming in your place - with my entire family who would happily go ANYWHERE with me for medical school. Yep, including my husband who just quit his job of 13 years so he could go anywhere I got into med school (which right now is most likely Maine, but we're waiting on Virginia 'cuz *I* like it better. He'd happily go to Maine.)

i think you have nothing to worry about in detroit... i found this interesting clip from local channel 4 in detroit, this happened in highland park a part of detroit that's, correct me if I'm wrong here, about 5 minutes or less from where the school is located...

http://www.wimp.com/senseless/

UMP said:
i think you have nothing to worry about in detroit... i found this interesting clip from local channel 4 in detroit, this happened in highland park a part of detroit that's, correct me if I'm wrong here, about 5 minutes or less from where the school is located...

We never said that bad stuff doesn't happen in the Detroit area. But bad stuff can happen anywhere.
One thing to remember is that was in highland park, which if you look into other press coverage has been having a rough time over the last few years - bankrupt, laying off cops and firefighters, etc. - to the point that the county cops and state police now are patrolling it, rather than the highland park public safety officers.

The interesting thing about Detroit is that the line between nice areas and bad areas tend to be very distinct. It’s not like some towns were the neighborhoods gradually go downhill as you enter/leave an area. Generally, in Detroit, you cross some invisible line and the feel of the area changes (for better or worse) immediately.

UMP said:

Look buddy this is a major US city and while that is scary you will NEVER get this on the Wayne campus. Ever. I have heard stories of kids killed on the streets of little Ann Arbor but that doesn’t stop people from going there, it's just a horrible incident. The campus police are insane they are everywhere all the time. C’mon John's Hopkins is in freakin Baltimore.

Parents......hide your daughters from people like this.

yourmom25 said:

Arabpremed said:
Look buddy this is a major US city and while that is scary you will NEVER get this on the Wayne campus. Ever. I have heard stories of kids killed on the streets of little Ann Arbor but that doesn’t stop people from going there, it's just a horrible incident. The campus police are insane they are everywhere all the time. C’mon John's Hopkins is in freakin Baltimore.

horrible incident that seems to happen all too frequently in detroit... an interesting tidbit, since the start of this latest iraq war there have been more americans that have been killed in detroit than in iraq, I find that quite interesting...

and his wife is scared sh*tless already and wouldn't feel comfortable. I'd feel more than comfortable living in Detroit and would live right around campus if I end up going to Wayne St., but I'm a big dude that is fairly used to seedy areas and situations, but it's not for everyone... and the more people that I can talk out of Wayne the more spots there are for me :smuggrin:

which Ann Arbor incident are you talking about cause there have been only like 3-4 murders in the past 5 or 6 years that I've been here... which AA incident is actually worth talking about outside of AA?

ShyRem said:
with my entire family who would happily go ANYWHERE with me for medical school. Yep, including my husband who just quit his job of 13 years so he could go anywhere I got into med school

That's how it's done, folks. Shy, your hubby's clearly AWEsome! :)

yourmom25 said:

This is not possible.

AMCAS will not allow it.

Mutt said:
This is not possible.

AMCAS will not allow it.

Sorry, but that is just flat out incorrect. If your school allows it, you are able to defer and re-apply.

AMCAS does allow this. In fact, if you feel uncomfortable asking your school if you may apply to other schools while deferred, AMCAS can tell you. AMCAS knows all.

I am deferring and re-applying next year (for very different reasons that the OP) and I have an email in hand from AMCAS verifying my ability to do so with specific reference to the school I am deferred at (even though I never specified which school in my original inquiry).

To the OP: If Wayne St. allows you to defer and re-apply, go for it, you have absolutely nothing to lose. However, if re-application would require you to relinquish your current acceptance, think long and hard. Re-application with a deferred acceptance may raise a few eyebrows and questions (to which you better have damn good answers), but a declined acceptance will kill your application.

It is possible to be admitted into a school after you have turned down an acceptance to another school. It probably doesn't happen that often, but it does happen.

One of the worst things you could do would be to go to a school you are unhappy with, for whatever reason. Medical school can be downright misreable at times, and if you have one more thing to be unhappy about, it's just that much worse.

You can always go d.o.Should not have any problem getting accpeted and most are in good safe areas.

Give me a freakin' break, there are people who would go to med school in a war zone if it meant they'd be given the tools to be successful doctors. Do you want this bad enough? Honestly, it sounds like you're not even giving detroit a fair chance. Did you at least visit this place before passing judgement on it? Please, at least assure me this isnt your wife's doing. I'd hate for one of my loved ones to try to interfere with my dreams. If that's the case, give the shrew what-for!

I think it's a bunch of BS for people to use the argument that somebody MUST take an acceptance just because there are so many others who would do anything to have that acceptance. Taking that argument assumes that those waiting in line are just as qualified as the person accepted and that's straight up conjecture. If somebody is motivated to go to a "better" school in a location/setting that is better for them, that says nothing about their "motivation" for being a doctor, especially if they are a very strong candidate with high expectations of themselves.
I'm sick of people thinking that just because they would do anything and go anywhere to get into medical school means that they are more deserving than the person(s) who did get in and are pondering re-application. Y'all sound like haters sometimes.

patnich81 said:
I think it's a bunch of BS for people to use the argument that somebody MUST take an acceptance just because there are so many others who would do anything to have that acceptance. Taking that argument assumes that those waiting in line are just as qualified as the person accepted and that's straight up conjecture. If somebody is motivated to go to a "better" school in a location/setting that is better for them, that says nothing about their "motivation" for being a doctor, especially if they are a very strong candidate with high expectations of themselves.
I'm sick of people thinking that just because they would do anything and go anywhere to get into medical school means that they are more deserving than the person(s) who did get in and are pondering re-application. Y'all sound like haters sometimes.

Perhaps you should re-read the thread. The OP doesn't have any options for a 'better' school right now. Despite you feeling sick, thinking we are equating willingness to go anywhere with earning the right to go, you are mistaken. The OP applied to a school without any intention of going. Love to hear you justify that without sounding like a 'hater'. :rolleyes:

patnich81 said:

I don't think responders believe that they are more deserving than the OP...I think that you are misinterpreting the posts. What everyone is saying bottom line is, he has had the opportunity to discuss his choices of schools he applied to with his wife. Hence he had plenty of time to make informed decisions right up till he received his acceptance letter. If he decided that Wayne State is not where he wanted to attend, he could have withdrawn after the interview. There were quite a number of months between when he applied and when he received his acceptance.The fact that he waited till after receiving the acceptance to realize that he does not want to attend is what frustrates other candidates as he took up a perfectly good spot that thousands of others would have wanted.