im crappin' my pants...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LotaPower

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
b/c in less than 2 weeks im gonna be starting my EM residency!

yes i am very excited but freaked out too. But I have done nothing but chill for the past 2 months and the last 6 months of my M4 year weren't very productive. I think I forgot most of medschool. im even questioning my ability to do a decent H&P! what's worse is I start in the MICU come July.

there must be a few of you out there that feel the same. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

LotaPower said:

yes i am very excited but freaked out too. But I have done nothing but chill for the past 2 months and the last 6 months of my M4 year weren't very productive. I think I forgot most of medschool. im even questioning my ability to do a decent H&P! what's worse is I start in the MICU come July.

Oh, trust me you aren't the only one who feels that way......my last medical school rotation was in FEBRUARY!!!!

I've gotten very stupid and I also start in the ICU. :scared: :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't even pretend to be excited anymore. Now, it's trying not to puke everynight.
But from what I've been told, as an intern, you are allowed to kill up to 2 people or permamently disable 5 due to negligence before you are written up.
Or something like that.... ;)

It is SOOOO good to read this thread. Really, it is.

I was right with you exactly one year ago. I now have exactly four shifts left in my intern year.

It really will get better. The first couple of months are the worst, but even those aren't all that bad. The time right now was the absolute worst for me. I couldn't actually DO anything so I spent all my time worrying about how far behind all my fellow interns I was. Fortunately, it turned out that all of them were spending their time worrying about how far behind me (and everyone else) they were.

After the first month or so, all of us realized 1) we knew more than we thought we did, 2) we knew MUCH less than we needed to 3) this was right about where everyone above us expected us to be, and (most importantly) 4) we were all in this together.

Hang on tight, it'll be a fun ride. :)

Take care,
Jeff

Jeff698 said:
It is SOOOO good to read this thread. Really, it is.

I was right with you exactly one year ago. I now have exactly four shifts left in my intern year.

It really will get better. The first couple of months are the worst, but even those aren't all that bad. The time right now was the absolute worst for me. I couldn't actually DO anything so I spent all my time worrying about how far behind all my fellow interns I was. Fortunately, it turned out that all of them were spending their time worrying about how far behind me (and everyone else) they were.

After the first month or so, all of us realized 1) we knew more than we thought we did, 2) we knew MUCH less than we needed to 3) this was right about where everyone above us expected us to be, and (most importantly) 4) we were all in this together.

Hang on tight, it'll be a fun ride. :)

Take care,
Jeff

Cool I was feeling the same way. I am doing a prelim year, so only one month of ED, but its still interning (medicine) and think maybe be like it all over again next year haha.

I have ONE shift left, and then apparently I am credentialed enough to be an EM attending, AND teach at a new EM program. Try that for scariness!

Actually I think it was probably scarier to start residency.

Don't worry, EVERYONE, no matter how confident they may appear on the outside, feels the exact same way as you guys! And that's for EVERY specialty!

Q

Count me in too! My last shifts were (in order): radiology, EKG reading, radiology, MICU (where they didn't want me taking on any more than 1 patient and TOLD me to leave at noon), then 1 month of vacation. Yup, I'm right there along with you. I think the thing I'm most worried about is that I've forgotten a helluva lot of clinical stuff I should have down pat, e.g., can barely remember how to do a pelvic exam, did a total of one wet mount for BV, don't really have a CLUE as to what a CLUE cell should look, abdominal pain differential, etc. On the brighter side, I'm a demon with rectal exams and for some reason feel pretty comfortable shocking/cardioverting...well, the mannequin anyway, but I think I know what I'm doing as far as that goes.

Oh, just a reminder, tell all loved ones to stay out of the hospital for the next two months. Wasn't there some kind of crazy statistic that correlated the greatest number of hospital deaths to the influx of clueless interns.

LotaPower said:

I've decided that waiting to start/starting (I start orientation tomorrow) feels like when you're on a roller coaster, the harness comes down, the seat belt snaps, and the train starts to move. You think to yourself "I'm not sure this was such a good idea" but it's too late to get off the ride. Now, hopefully, like the coaster, when you're on it, as soon as you get up that first hill, it's a helluva good time!!!

i'm just considering swiping an adult sized diaper for my first surgery call. yeah, i think i might do that.

EMDrMoe said:
I've decided that waiting to start/starting (I start orientation tomorrow) feels like when you're on a roller coaster, the harness comes down, the seat belt snaps, and the train starts to move. You think to yourself "I'm not sure this was such a good idea" but it's too late to get off the ride. Now, hopefully, like the coaster, when you're on it, as soon as you get up that first hill, it's a helluva good time!!!
You're life is gonna turn upside down in the next 30 or so days, but its GREAT! You're gonna make so many great lifelong friends and have a lot of fun laughing and getting to know so many people... I wish I could have taken more pics and tried to enjoy myself, but I was so nervous.

I just wish I could be there to see you "grow up!"

Q

irrka said:
i'm just considering swiping an adult sized diaper for my first surgery call. yeah, i think i might do that.

haha it would save time. Maybe you should go ahead and put a catheter in yourself too so you don't even have to worry about it.

JackBauERfan said:
haha it would save time. Maybe you should go ahead and put a catheter in yourself too so you don't even have to worry about it.

well that just makes no sense at all! i'll still have voluntary control of THAT sphincter, remember??? :rolleyes:

sorry, had to take the original posting back. it sucked

irrka said:
well that just makes no sense at all! i'll still have voluntary control of THAT sphincter, remember??? :rolleyes:

After 8 hours holding a retractor for a Whipple? Maybe.

Quinn- I am with you. My last week of shifts, all I could think was I am *so* ready to be done. Last night, I wigged... What do I write on my notes??? AAAAAAAAGH and I am supposed to teach????????????????