Im curious...( The DO vs MD Q)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreambig2night

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any students choose a Caribbean school over a DO school?

I think it is highly likely, if we do away with the few exceptions, that most students would still choose an American MD over an American DO...sad but true.

Id like to find out how many would choose a Caribbean MD over an American DO? And Why? (Conditions: student has avg DO admission MCAT scores and GPA)

Members don't see this ad.

When I only got waitlisted at mainland MD schools, the thought of the caribbean didn't even cross my mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seeing as how most doctors dont care if other doctors have a DO or MD so long as they are competent I dont see how going to a Caribbean school would offer any benifits. I've had so many doctors, trying to convince me to go into their field of medicne (e.g. anthesiologists and radiolgists), tell me how where they went to residency now has X number of DOs in their program and that it doesn't make a difference.

You'd also be suprised how many doctors dont know what letters a fellow doctor has after their name and just assume it's MD until someone says "did you know so and so is a DO?"

I would never go Carribean. I would keep trying and trying until I got into a mainland school.

The initials behind a name are not an indication of the competency of the physician. If the training is equal, then it is merely an ego issue to choose Carribian MD over DO.

I didn't even apply to MD schools! I specifically chose DO b/c the schools tend to choose students that are well rounded. Well rounded doctors can relate better to their patients. I am not by any means indicating that MD's can't relate. I am just saying that DO schools look at more than test scores to evaluate an individuals right to become a physician.

dreambig2night said:
Any students choose a Caribbean school over a DO school?...Id like to find out how many would choose a Caribbean MD over an American DO? And Why?

You should go to the Carribean forum. Anyone who claims to have done so posts there. Besides, they keep having this discussion over and over there already.

scpod said:
You should go to the Carribean forum. Anyone who claims to have done so posts there. Besides, they keep having this discussion over and over there already.

I was just curious...I too was presented with this choice by some family. But I wouldnt trade American standards just to get two initials from someplace else.
But who knows there may be people with interesting reasons.

ill check that forum...thanks!

I applied to St. George's before I knew much about DOs vs MDs. I got accepted, but decided to apply to DO schools as well. I am VERY grateful to have found COMP. After interview day I knew that was where I wanted to go to med school. After getting accepted to COMP I turned down the rest of the DO interviews, St. Georges acceptance, and withdrew from the only MD US school that had me waitlisted.

To me it's all about the quality of education and location. I don't see how any Caribbean schools can offer more in terms of quality of education and location than any DO school. This is pure speculation, but I would guess that more than half of Caribbean med school matriculants made their choice based primarily on the MD factor.

deezballas said:
I applied to St. George's before I knew much about DOs vs MDs. I got accepted, but decided to apply to DO schools as well. I am VERY grateful to have found COMP. After interview day I knew that was where I wanted to go to med school. After getting accepted to COMP I turned down the rest of the DO interviews, St. Georges acceptance, and withdrew from the only MD US school that had me waitlisted.

To me it's all about the quality of education and location. I don't see how any Caribbean schools can offer more in terms of quality of education and location than any DO school. This is pure speculation, but I would guess that more than half of Caribbean med school matriculants made their choice based primarily on the MD factor.

Dont be so fast to think that those in the Caribbean did not want to be DO's. I know several people who are at Caribbean schools that were rejected at DO schools. I was even told by two friends in the Caribbean (both of which were rejected at DO schools) that some of the students failed out of DO schools and ended up in the Caribbean. The funny (annoying) thing is that when in the Caribbean they say they did not want to be DO's so they went to the Caribbean (I know 3 people like this). Why would anyone leave the USA to go to medical school? Unless of course they are going somewhere prestigious.

The reality is that if the DO students (who wanted to be MD's) applied to enough schools, or got a master's, or just applied again, or have been in a different situation (ie: less competitive state), they would have been accepted to some US MD school.

deezballas said:

It would be cheaper and you would get a better education if you go to a DO school and then buy and MD from the Caribbean once you graduate.

Speaking for myself, I think I would have gone into a different career sooner than go to the Carribean. I love my DO school and have no regrets about going this path. I also think that, in general, DOs have more options than Carribean MDs since we do have our own residencies.
However, I don't want to sound like I'm bashing Carribean grads. For some people, that is definitely the best option, and I think how good a doctor you are depends a lot more on your own personal work ethic than on what school you go to. Both the American schools and the reputable Carribean schools give you sufficient tools to do well if you're willing to make the effort.
I guess the way I look at it is, there's no easy path to becoming a doc. The Carribean schools are easy to get accepted to, but my understanding is that they don't give people as much support for *staying* in the school as the American schools usually do, so it is definitely an accomplishment to make it through and graduate - just like it is to get a DO degree or an American MD. :)

Check out the AMA's website for a discussion on this topic. Going out of the country works out great for some people, but in general it is really risky. You are MUCH better off going in the states.

Mixmaster said:
It would be cheaper and you would get a better education if you go to a DO school and then buy and MD from the Caribbean once you graduate.

This is another reason I decided against Caribb, cost. Anyone else think Caribb schools are more money driven than US schools? I think St. Georges matriculates between 400-500 every year at ~42K/year in tuition. More than any school I've looked into. There is some serious mulah!

No offense intended to foreign medical students/graduates. I agree with the previous poster that it mostly depends on your work ethic in determining the kind of doctor you become.