I'm doing a Masters, how do I tell them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skylark

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is for those who have already been admitted via the masters route.

at the time, did you indicate on AADSAS that you were planning to start a Masters? This means that you are applying to dental school (just graduated college) and WILL BE starting the Masters (in the fall) with the possibility of being accepted DURING your Masters education. If yes, where did you indicate this? did not see a place to say so.

Did you feel schools favored this or paid any attention to it? Or did they prefer for you to finish the Masters degree and then apply with your grad gpa and credentials? I've heard mixed opinions whether to indicate or not.

shoutout to cmcner for helping me out on this topic; just trying to get more opinions

Members don't see this ad.

This question is for those who have already been admitted via the masters route.

at the time, did you indicate on AADSAS that you were planning to start a Masters? This means that you are applying to dental school (just graduated college) and WILL BE starting the Masters (in the fall) with the possibility of being accepted DURING your Masters education. If yes, where did you indicate this? did not see a place to say so.

Did you feel schools favored this or paid any attention to it? Or did they prefer for you to finish the Masters degree and then apply with your grad gpa and credentials? I've heard mixed opinions whether to indicate or not.

shoutout to cmcner for helping me out on this topic; just trying to get more opinions

Some schools won't accept students who haven't completed their masters, simply because they do not want to leave a graduate program high and dry by taking their student. Professors/graduate depts invest a lot of money/time to support a student's project. Ethically, it would be best for you to complete your project.

oh! no doubt i will finish the masters! im just worried they will not even consider my app this time becuase i am in progress of my masters and dont have grades yet. can that happen? as in they would make me reapply when i get the degree and can report grades.

i am a reapplicant and i just graduated, so i applied with new grades (senior year grades). so given that this is new and improved stuff, will they think " skylark made improvements AND is currently in a masters. good. lets take a look at the app" or will they be more likely to say "ok skylark made some improvements but is working on masters, lets pass on this one and wait until skylark actually FINISHES the masters...reapply next year"

Members don't see this ad :)
The only real way would be to wait till academic update where you can input your courses and grades from your masters program. Either that or maybe mention it at the end of your PS.

Besides, just because you're PLANNING to start a masters program doesn't mean you'll get into one. It's becoming a very popular option so seats are filling up fast this year as well as the stats needed to enter one are on the rise as well.

I just graduated from a masters this June and a couple of people were accepted to dental school while applying but it was contingent on them finishing the masters program. However, a fair number of people weren't accepted because they needed the full extent of the masters program to boost their grades to a respectable level. It all depends on your situation.

i already submitted my app, but at the time, i wasnt sure what programs i was going to end up doing. i have been accepted to a Masters now and will be attending this fall. so should i tell the dental schools? if yes, call/email/letter? thats really my question. my main concern is they will not look at my stuff this cycle because they rather me finish the masters first.

Nice. Which program are you doing?

Anyways, there are plenty of places to mention it in secondaries, during your interview, etc. And for the places that don't have secondaries, just give them a call and see what they suggest.

My own speculation based on my experience: it really doesn't matter whether you're IN a masters program, it matters how well you do that sways adcoms. Hence, it won't matter if you tell them you're in a masters program, you have to show them you're doing well in one which can only be accomplished by sending in transcripts at the end of each quarter and posting grades to academic update as soon as they come out.

I know from personal exp. that UF does not even consider your application if you are not going to be able to finish your master's before matriculation into dental school.

thanks guys. im not sure if i worded my question clearly since i havent really been getting an answer to my question.

i know that i will finish the masters before i matriculate--its a 1yr Masters. but the question is, will they want to take a chance on interviewing/accepting me while im still doing the masters. or will they pass on me and tell me to apply next time when i have the final grades?

so i called a good amount of schools and they all told me that i wouldnt necessarily be put on hold until the Academic Update. that a decision may still be made during the course of my Masters before that. so i think theyre saying if you seem competitive, we'll still interview you.

anyone have experience with this? just checkin :)

I wouldn't really suggest a phone call as your final contact with a school to inform them that you are enrolled in a master's as that fact may never make it into your file for the adcom to see, an email on the other hand is very likely to make it into your file, and a mailed letter is almost a sure bet to find it's way to your file if the post office doesn't lose it. If you send this email be sure to stress that you will be completing the master's in one year and list your planned graduation date. If there is a dental aspect to the master's or if you're taking dental courses with dental students emphasize that. I would also list the courses that you're planning on taking in the master's since you've already submitted and can't put it into planned course work on aadsas.