Navy I'm done!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobbyseal

Boat boy
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finally done with this service commitment. I got my DD214 today and checked out of the command. Moving guys come in 2 days, and at the end of the week I am off to start the next phase of my life.

Compared to many on this board, I had it pretty good. The Navy paid my way through an incredibly expensive medical school and I got fully deferred for my training. I stayed stateside during my entire 4 year payback. Only hiccups were a duty station change after 2 years and a month TAD in Guam. The duty station change was pretty annoying, but it did have a few bright spots. Anyway, I got what I could out of the Navy, and I feel like I provided a very good service to the Marines, sailors, dependents, and veterans.

If I didn't have to do it again, I probably wouldn't. But, my family's financial situation was fairly dire. I'm not even sure if there would have even been a lender to give me the money to get through school. So, I put on khakis, got my degree, got trained, and served.

The major drawbacks for me were the constant uncertainty of life - not knowing if I could get deployed or transferred. A lot of it was my own paranoia about big brother - am I going to get called into the CO's office, get EMI, fail a uniform inspection, etc. None of this ever happened, but I just constantly felt like someone was watching me regardless of what I did. If I left the hospital early because I had finished clinic, was some admin type going to walk into my office and ask where I was. This did happen on at least one occasion, and it was a pain to deal with.

The benefits were the lifestyle for sure. No patient was really sick. Clinic volume was fairly light. Case load was real basic, simple stuff. I got to see my children quite a bit. On the downside, everything was such a snoozer that I definitely lost some OR skills. But they'll likely return once I start seeing these patients again.

I did do some moonlighting, but I'm not sure if it was worth it. As an anesthesiologist like PGG, I think being in the Navy can be good where you work a day job and then moonlight on a weekend or two. I definitely knew a guy who made a lot more with his moonlighting than he did as a navy staff anesthesiologist. But for us surgeons, it's really hard to find a group that wants call coverage for a weekend here and there. For the most part, I had to drive or fly far away to cover a hospital for a week that their doc was away. Sure, I made $8k for the week, but I ate up a lot of leave for it.

Anyway, I don't post too much, but I do lurk. It's a great feeling to be done. I really look forward to starting my job at my new hospital. Administration is already asking me what I want for clinic and the OR. Feels good to be wanted.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations. Good luck in the real world, and try not to suffocate on the wind of freedom.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck, are you moving to a location that most people would considerable desirable? I'm asking because most of my colleagues getting out aren't being treated the way you are describing.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It's a great feeling to get out and finally be on my way. As for where I'm moving, it's small town midwest. I don't really think it's considered a desirable location among the general physician population. I imagine if you're looking for some coast, big hospital, prestigious location, they're not going to be all welcoming. In general I think there are still a lot of places in the U.S. where a doctor can carve out a niche and do well. I'm hoping this will be one such place.