I'm getting dumber...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChasingMyDreams

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I knew I wouldn't use much of the clinical knowledge from school in retail but I've officially been licensed and practicing for a year now and I feel like I just proof-read all day...

Do any other retail pharmacists out there feel like this? I don't use too much of anything I learned in school on a daily basis. Just get the scripts out as fast as possible. Am I doing something wrong? I was doing a CE over the weekend and a poll question came up asking if we do profile reviews for every rx we verify, like 75% of respondents said they do. I almost never do. If the RX is Lopressor tid or something strange I'll check to see if they've been taking it like that for a while or if a codeine allergy flags a norco script I'll check to see if they've had it before but rarely much more than that.

I am just starting to feel a little discouraged. Call me crazy but I thought I'd be using my brain a lot more than I do now. I feel like I'm just there because the law says I have to be....

Thoughts???

Members don't see this ad.

What about when you counsel on all new scripts? Doesn't that refresh you?

What about when you counsel on all new scripts? Doesn't that refresh you?

Eh, not really. People don't seem to care much. Most people just say they don't have any questions and keep it moving. There a maybe like 3-5 patients on a good day that ask more than "Should I take this with food" or "Is this gonna make me sleepy"...

Members don't see this ad :)
CVS? haha You're actually giving me hope because I'm afraid I will look stupid when I start counseling.

I think the inventor of coca cola was a pharmacist. Go home after work and make some coke.... Wait, that doesn't sound right.

Reactions: 2 users
There are a lot of days I feel like that too. I think the trick is to get professional satisfaction where you can if I'm able to help 1 or 2 people a day I try to take comfort in that.

And no I don't do a profile check for every prescription I check.

So I knew I wouldn't use much of the clinical knowledge from school in retail but I've officially been licensed and practicing for a year now and I feel like I just proof-read all day...

Do any other retail pharmacists out there feel like this? I don't use too much of anything I learned in school on a daily basis. Just get the scripts out as fast as possible. Am I doing something wrong? I was doing a CE over the weekend and a poll question came up asking if we do profile reviews for every rx we verify, like 75% of respondents said they do. I almost never do. If the RX is Lopressor tid or something strange I'll check to see if they've been taking it like that for a while or if a codeine allergy flags a norco script I'll check to see if they've had it before but rarely much more than that.

I am just starting to feel a little discouraged. Call me crazy but I thought I'd be using my brain a lot more than I do now. I feel like I'm just there because the law says I have to be....

Thoughts???

I have heard this a lot from pharmacists working retail. But I think in general, the retail job does require 4 years of pharmacy schools, even for checking scripts. Otherwise, they would already change the laws to allow pharmacy technicians to take over. You might get so used to the job that your brain is put on autopilot :)

If you feel like you lack knowledge, study for bcps. I have not taken the exam yet, but it has refreshed my knowledge and added significantly to my knowledge base.

It will also help you know what to review on a patient's chart.

I've also never worked retail as a pharmacist.

That's great advice!!! I just called bps and found out retail pharmacists can sit for the amb care exam after 4 years. A little ways off but something to look forward to. Definitely thought I had to do a residency or work in a clinic for that.

Posted using SDN Mobile

I think the inventor of coca cola was a pharmacist. Go home after work and make some coke.... Wait, that doesn't sound right.
close - it was pepsi - new bern north carolina!

If I remember correctly the inventor of dr pepper was a pharmacist too.

damn, I am doing something wrong.

believe Mt Dew was invented by a scientist in his lab thou.

What can I invent?

Thoughts???

Bad Pharmacist! lol u should review profile on each new rx like u do for lopressor tid doesnt take long...u will catch many things but sounds like u doing ok so far. ps u are there only b/c law says so if no law you'd/we'd be on the unemployment line.

Bad Pharmacist! lol u should review profile on each new rx like u do for lopressor tid doesnt take long...u will catch many things but sounds like u doing ok so far. ps u are there only b/c law says so if no law you'd/we'd be on the unemployment line.

Why the laws said so in the first place ??

If you feel like you lack knowledge, study for bcps. I have not taken the exam yet, but it has refreshed my knowledge and added significantly to my knowledge base.

It will also help you know what to review on a patient's chart.

I've also never worked retail as a pharmacist.
Is there any study material you'd reccomend? I'm not working right now but want to spend some time self-studying/refeshing stuff so I don't lose the knowledge

I have my days where im just brain dead before noon and cant remember what Ive done at the end of day. Hate it when its like that :confused: