I'm getting no where with TBR Bio.....or any MCAT studying really

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steelersfan1243

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 50 days until my MCAT and I feel like I haven't learned a thing

First, I reviewed the digestion chapter in TBR bio probably three times, but taking the passage tests I feel as if I knew nothing and got barely half of them right. I was thinking of switching over to Kaplan Bio to be less time consuming, but it seems everyone here is saying no to that. I am a chemistry major and I definitely do not remember much bio at all, but I am finding it very hard to study for this section. Any tips? I also have never taken a physiology book, should I really try to memorize the chapters inside out? I feel as if that is too time consuming and worthless as I am still not doing well on bio

I have gone through most of the organic chemistry and gen chem books and they do not seem to be bad, and Im a third done with the physics book.

I have never practiced verbal at all, is 50 days enough to do this? Or is it expected to delay my test until October?

Should I even take a practice test for diagnostic purposes? Maybe if I realize how much I need to do that will get motivated to put the hours in?

Members don't see this ad.

How much time are you dedicating to content vs passages in your studies? This will make a huge difference. You shouldn't expect to study content and perform well on passages. You should study by doing a significant number of passages as well. Otherwise you miss out on crucial MCAT-specific critical thinking skills. For this reason, yes, you should absolutely take a diagnostic and continue to take a few practice tests throughout your studies. It also helps you to identify content weaknesses in the context of real MCAT questions.

Thanks for the help, I usually do some passages at the end to help with the content review, but for example I thought I had the digestion chapter memorized inside out, but still did terribly on the passages. Any tips for this? Should I just keep on reviewing? Also will Kaplan content be enough for TBR passages? TBR chapters take 2-3 hours for me to get through and I feel like I need to shorten this

The problem is either you have very poor mental function (due to bad diet, other stress, lack of mental discipline, lack of focus) or very bad study habits. Both are difficult to fix, unfortunatley.
The study method I use, and what works for me, is reading a chapter, and taking notes while I read it. Usually I take notes on stuff I didn't know, or that I find hard to grasp. Then, every week or two, I reread all of my notes, and relearn the stuff that I forgot. This way you will remember most stuff right up until the MCAT. When I read a chapter, I spend up to 8 hours per chapter (damn you, biology!).
If you suspect your problem is more mental than execution-based, fix your diet, exercise several times a week, read more, etc..

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, I do believe it is lack of mental discipline, but what can I do to change that? I do have an exercise regimen which I was planning to give up since I need all the time I can get (is this advisable?), what can I do to make sure I am motivated everyday to study? Maybe taking the diagnostic test and realizing how little I know will help, will do it tomorrow

Hmm, I do believe it is lack of mental discipline, but what can I do to change that? I do have an exercise regimen which I was planning to give up since I need all the time I can get (is this advisable?), what can I do to make sure I am motivated everyday to study? Maybe taking the diagnostic test and realizing how little I know will help, will do it tomorrow

Maybe all you need is some sort of fire under your ass, or a source of motivation. Too bad everyone's is different, you have to find your own. Furthermore, such a thing is based on your value systems.

As for exercise, I feel that Bruce Lee put it best, “It is not a daily increase, but a daily decrease. Hack away at the inessentials.” Exercise is good; it keeps you sane and focused. On the other hand, time wasters like video games, television, youtube, etc. must be limited or eliminated completely.

Thanks for the help, I usually do some passages at the end to help with the content review, but for example I thought I had the digestion chapter memorized inside out, but still did terribly on the passages. Any tips for this? Should I just keep on reviewing? Also will Kaplan content be enough for TBR passages? TBR chapters take 2-3 hours for me to get through and I feel like I need to shorten this

Taking the passages is merely the first step. Strong analysis is where the gains come from. Review EVERY question. When you get a question wrong, understand whether it was content vs critical thinking. If it is the former, remediate immediately. If it is the latter, come up with a strategy that will help you avoid that in the future. Be consistent and intentional with this and you'll build critical thinking.

The problem is either you have very poor mental function (due to bad diet, other stress, lack of mental discipline, lack of focus) or very bad study habits. Both are difficult to fix, unfortunatley.
The study method I use, and what works for me, is reading a chapter, and taking notes while I read it. Usually I take notes on stuff I didn't know, or that I find hard to grasp. Then, every week or two, I reread all of my notes, and relearn the stuff that I forgot. This way you will remember most stuff right up until the MCAT. When I read a chapter, I spend up to 8 hours per chapter (damn you, biology!).
If you suspect your problem is more mental than execution-based, fix your diet, exercise several times a week, read more, etc..

nice advice Dr. Oz…wow

Reactions: 1 users