I'm leaving on a jet plane.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalhopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I was just wondering if any of you guys have any good input. I have been living with my parents forever and now I am going to be moving away from them to live in NY. I have relatives there but I'm not that close to them. Also, I am a bit afraid of what dental school really has in store for me. I think I am a good student but I am only speaking from undergrad. I've heard that dental school is sick and can really screw up the faint of heart. I guess now I have a lot of things running in my head. I am confident that I will do well in d-school but I know of others that were more confident and more academically intelligent and got kicked out. So...my question for you guys who have left your family to live alone...how did you guys cope and what sorts of things did you do before leaving to prepare for this hard time. I can see myself depressed for the beginning of the semester.

Members don't see this ad.

Dentalhopeful said:
...how did you guys cope and what sorts of things did you do before leaving to prepare for this hard time. I can see myself depressed for the beginning of the semester.

Once you get there, my general advice from moving away for college:

1) Keep in touch with your family/friends back home. Phone, email, etc.
2) Try to stay healthy!! Eat well, no smoking, moderate boozing :p
3) Be patient, and don't give up hope if you don't make a connection with somebody right away. Not like a "hooking up" connection, but a friend to talk to.
4) If you are having a problem, talk to somebody!! (i.e. school admin/doctor/etc.) Don't let it fester up. That won't help one bit.
5) Relax, dental school can't be that hard. :)

It's just the jitters lots of people get.

You're about to make a monumental change and yes, it is frightening. But ... 98% of people graduate, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say I strongly doubt you're in the low 2%.

Just stick with it. It'll be exactly what you make of it.

ChubbyBaby said:
Once you get there, my general advice from moving away for college:

1) Keep in touch with your family/friends back home. Phone, email, etc.
2) Try to stay healthy!! Eat well, no smoking, moderate boozing :p
3) Be patient, and don't give up hope if you don't make a connection with somebody right away. Not like a "hooking up" connection, but a friend to talk to.
4) If you are having a problem, talk to somebody!! (i.e. school admin/doctor/etc.) Don't let it fester up. That won't help one bit.
5) Relax, dental school can't be that hard. :)

1) check
2) no smoking? mod boozing. -2
3)be patient? yeah right -1
4)check
5)relax=be patient......>same thing. -1

i am 4 pts behind there already. :laugh:

now to OP: dont worry. just stay focused on school and keep your priorities straight and you'd be fine.