I'm majoring in Biology but what if I don't make it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fakhter

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep telling myself i'm going to get accepted into medical school. While saying that to myself I still think about what happens if I get rejected.

Members don't see this ad.

It's good to think that you're going to succeed, and to do everything you can to make that happen. I think that it is definitely imperative to have a plan B though. Having a plan B doesn't make you less dedicated, it just makes you smart. For example one reason (though not the main reason) I decided to major in biochemistry and chemistry instead of just history was because I knew that if I applied multiple times to medical school and couldn't get in anywhere, I could still find a job in biomedical research or industry which I would enjoy and would support me. My roommate wants to be a dentist but most importantly, she wants to work in healthcare. She's decided that if she really can't get in, she'll apply to nursing school.

I know someone who picked their major because they thought it would help them get into med school, and then when they didn't get in they ended up getting a job in research (one of the few options with this degree the undergraduate level) which they are thoroughly unhappy with.

I keep telling myself i'm going to get accepted into medical school. While saying that to myself I still think about what happens if I get rejected.

If you get rejected, can you see yourself with a career in Biology? If not, why not major in something you see yourself doing in the event you don't get in?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get rejected, can you see yourself with a career in Biology? If not, why not major in something you see yourself doing in the event you don't get in?

Honestly I love Biology but I love medicine a lot more. I don't care too much about plants and photosynthesis but rather how biology applies to the human body.

Honestly I love Biology but I love medicine a lot more. I don't care too much about plants and photosynthesis but rather how biology applies to the human body.

Lots of bio majors hate botany, so you won't be alone in those feelings ;)

Focus on the main goal then. You can still do a decent amount with biology on the off chance you may not get in. You also can focus your biology electives away from botany and more on things you like.

I think it's definitely worth checking out a careers fair or talking to your student advisors about backup plans. The most important thing is to be well-informed and realistic with yourself about your chances of admission. Also, I think you should have an idea of something you might do during a gap year in the event that you have to apply again.

You don't have to spend that much time to get a basic idea of what's out there. I've always found it's better to have a plan you don't need than to need a plan you don't have.

Many schools have concentrations that you can focus on. Though some of your earlier courses may have portions that focus on unbelievably boring plant things, you can tailor your major to fit more in line with human biology on the microscopic (cell bio) or macroscopic (human physio to greater degree).

But remember that you don't have to major in biology to get into medical school. I'm leaning toward a behavioral bio or neuroscience major at this point (currently knocking GEs out of the way as a second semester CC student) because I find psych and biopsych very interesting. Of course, I'm still on the fence about going into medicine or pursuing psychology so there's that.

Good luck.

I hate plants too but I think photosynthesis is ****ing cool especially how it works down on a molecular/quantum mechanical level

It's okay to have a back up plan because not everyone who applies to medical school gets in! If you're interested in Biology, there's plenty of options you can do.

Work as a lab tech.
Go to grad school and get your Ph.D
Work in Industry
Work in academia and go into administration if you're interested.
Get a masters degree and teach.

If you're not interested in Biology and all and just looking for some major you "think" looks good for medical school, get out now and major in something you're interested in! It'll help your GPA and strengthen your app!

If your school has a pharmacology major, I would recommend switching into that after doing some research into the program and such. It sounds more up your alley and is a pretty marketable degree if med school doesn't work out for you.

Don't forget, there are quite a few routes to becoming a physician, most notably the U.S. M.D. or D.O. route. Each of these brings upon them their own... requirements, standards and philosophies without sacrificing education quality, but both get you to the same respectable end point. I'll put it that way.

Also, what mwall003 said (since I have no idea how to quote two people in the same post) holds true. There are many important and respectable alternatives, but keep your eye on the prize and remember that anyone who's goal is to be a physician should just be trying to get into that M.D. or D.O. school in time and do EVERYTHING they can to get in. Also, remember that no one is guaranteed anything, but no one should just try once and stop either. If you want to be a physician you'll try 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 times.

I agree with all of the sentiments said in this thread. You should major in something you actually like.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm with ya! i hated going thru fungi, and ferns, and crap like that. I couldn't see myself doing any research in stuff like that, or even animals really. In my school, that stuff was mostly covered in General Bio classes 1 and 2 and I didn't see much after it because I could choose more elective classes like, anatomy, histology, neuroscience, physiology...all of which went towards my major. It sounds like you're still early in your bio major, and you might have a chance to take classes more to your interests ( and medical schools interests!) later on.

It also sounds like you aren't that confident in yourself--I'm with ya there too. Before coming into college I wanted to be a Doc but I didn't think I could do it, so I choose nursing because it was less competitive, But I switched to a Bio major because it was the easiest way to get all the pre-med classes out of the way, and it also allowed me to study things I was most interested in. Overtime, I saw I did well in classes and it gave me more confidence. And trust me, there are LOTS of dumb ppl in pre-med classes, and dumb ppl that get into medical school, trust me (and I'm definitely not a genius or even really smart). And from your grades you've received over time in college, , you should know whether you're "good enough" to get into med school by comparing your GPA to schools you want to go to.

Here's a good way to summarize my experience: I have no family members who are doc's , I scored a 19 on my ACT in high school while being accepted on a preliminary status---I didn't listen to the subtle guidance of ppl steering me away from medicalschool and then I studied my butt off and got a 31 MCAT and a 3.81 cGPA. If you want it, go get it.

I'm with ya! i hated going thru fungi, and ferns, and crap like that. I couldn't see myself doing any research in stuff like that, or even animals really. In my school, that stuff was mostly covered in General Bio classes 1 and 2 and I didn't see much after it because I could choose more elective classes like, anatomy, histology, neuroscience, physiology...all of which went towards my major. It sounds like you're still early in your bio major, and you might have a chance to take classes more to your interests ( and medical schools interests!) later on.

It also sounds like you aren't that confident in yourself--I'm with ya there too. Before coming into college I wanted to be a Doc but I didn't think I could do it, so I choose nursing because it was less competitive, But I switched to a Bio major because it was the easiest way to get all the pre-med classes out of the way, and it also allowed me to study things I was most interested in. Overtime, I saw I did well in classes and it gave me more confidence. And trust me, there are LOTS of dumb ppl in pre-med classes, and dumb ppl that get into medical school, trust me (and I'm definitely not a genius or even really smart). And from your grades you've received over time in college, , you should know whether you're "good enough" to get into med school by comparing your GPA to schools you want to go to.

Here's a good way to summarize my experience: I have no family members who are doc's , I scored a 19 on my ACT in high school while being accepted on a preliminary status---I didn't listen to the subtle guidance of ppl steering me away from medicalschool and then I studied my butt off and got a 31 MCAT and a 3.81 cGPA. If you want it, go get it.

Are you me? You just described me. I think you're me.

Definitely major in something you like not something you think will "get you in". While it is true that the majority of matriculants to med school have a degree in the biological sciences the highest rate of success for applicants is actually in humanities and math (about 50% of applicants get in as opposed to 42% of bio majors). Obviously there are confounders but just goes to show that you can major in whatever you want and still be successful.

Survivor DO

Definitely major in something you like not something you think will "get you in". While it is true that the majority of matriculants to med school have a degree in the biological sciences the highest rate of success for applicants is actually in humanities and math (about 50% of applicants get in as opposed to 42% of bio majors). Obviously there are confounders but just goes to show that you can major in whatever you want and still be successful.

Survivor DO

I am considering majoring in Information Technology, but won't interviewers ask why I chose to major in something not medically related at all?

I am considering majoring in Information Technology, but won't interviewers ask why I chose to major in something not medically related at all?

You can answer "because I have many interests" and expand on that.

Adcoms don't care. History major here, nobody except one person asked anything like that on the interview trail.

Survivor DO

I'm waiting for the post where you forget to write "Survivor DO."

As for me, I am a Biology major but wish i had majored in something else. Not necessarily for a plan B, but because I want to learn things that i will not have the chance to learn in medical school (ie. Arabic, History, Economics, etc.). I also hadn't really "found myself" and didn't know what i was truly interested in until the end of my sophomore year/summer before junior year.

Don't forget, there are quite a few routes to becoming a physician, most notably the U.S. M.D. or D.O. route. Each of these brings upon them their own... requirements, standards and philosophies without sacrificing education quality, but both get you to the same respectable end point. I'll put it that way.

Also, what mwall003 said (since I have no idea how to quote two people in the same post) holds true. There are many important and respectable alternatives, but keep your eye on the prize and remember that anyone who's goal is to be a physician should just be trying to get into that M.D. or D.O. school in time and do EVERYTHING they can to get in. Also, remember that no one is guaranteed anything, but no one should just try once and stop either. If you want to be a physician you'll try 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 times.

Definitely, I don't understand why there is still bias against DO schools. I've met DO physicians in many specialties. DO schools are becoming as competitive as many MD schools though. Def. keep this option open when applying to increase chances of becoming a doctor.

I had no idea what to major in until I took Intro to Neuroscience and loved it. I'm totally happy with my major, but I didn't pick it because of its job prospects. Pre-meds are sort of unique in that they can major in just about anything, and it doesn't matter. Major in music, history, engineering, or whatever interests you as long as enjoy it. Picking a major you can fall back on is smart, but not explicitly necessary if you feel reasonably confident about your med-school chances and are willing to work very hard to get there.

If you focus on getting in you will eventually. Ignore the possibility of failure for the most part.

If you come up to your junior year and have 3.0 GPAs then you may want to consider your next move, but if not just focus on the goal.

How are the career prospects for Genetics majors?

Better if you get at least a Master's. Then you can do more advanced lab work or be a post-secondary instructor (mostly at community colleges, but there are some universities that hire Master's degree holders to teach). Or you could get the Bachelor's and apply to genetic counseling programs. Or med school. :)

I majored in biology. If I wouldn't have gotten into medical school I would have reapplied the following cycle and also applied to PA school (some schools dont require GRE). You'd have a "gap year" to improve your application, retake mcat, ect. Since i'd have a degree, i probably would have gotten a job as a substitute teacher, work in a hospital or as a pharmacy tech. to pay off loans.

So long as you keep your GPA high, you can also apply to dental school, physical therapy, nursing, podiatry, graduate school (MBA). If all else fails, you can always become a high school science teacher.

You have to be honest with yourself and evaluate your chances of getting into medical school. For example, if you're going into your junior year and you have a sub-par GPA and your only hope is doing really well on the MCAT, well then (on top of working your butt off studying for the MCAT), you should start preparing and thinking about what to do in the case that you don't do well on your MCAT and you have to take a year off.

Have realistic expectations for yourself, keep your GPA high, work hard, and it'll all work out. If you really want to do something, you'll do it. That being said, although hard to believe as a pre-med, there are many careers that can bring you equal (possibly more)fulfillment and happiness besides medicine.Your life isn't over if you don't get in. Youhaven't failed at life, you just have to change your plans. Besides, you are fortunate enough to have gone to college.

::First world problems::

I was a Biology major in college because I loved Biology but I honestly had no idea what I would have done had I not gotten into medical school with a BA in Bio. The options I came up with were being a research/lab tech in Big Pharma, going the public health route (MPH), and doing a PhD in Biology. All pretty interesting/exciting and medically relevant, I think.

I left off becoming a midlevel as an option only because I personally wanted to be a physician too badly to go any other route (don't skewer me).

I was a Biology major in college because I loved Biology but I honestly had no idea what I would have done had I not gotten into medical school with a BA in Bio. The options I came up with were being a research/lab tech in Big Pharma, going the public health route (MPH), and doing a PhD in Biology. All pretty interesting/exciting and medically relevant, I think.

I left off becoming a midlevel as an option only because I personally wanted to be a physician too badly to go any other route (don't skewer me).

Big pharma would probably not be hiring bio majors often, as it is too broad of a degree. More likely than not, pharmaceutical companies are looking for biochem, pharmacology, toxicology, pharm sci, chem, and pharm chem degrees.

Bio is a hard degree to fall back on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

I'll forgot one of these days. I suppose I don't need to seeing as my name is plastered on the side there. It's kinda like when my mom signs her text messages. :rolleyes:

Survivor DO
I'm waiting for the post where you forget to write "Survivor DO."

I would say information technology is actually pretty medically related with all this EMR business. And as others have said, you are allowed and encouraged to have interests outside of medicine!

Survivor DO

I would say information technology is actually pretty medically related with all this EMR business. And as others have said, you are allowed and encouraged to have interests outside of medicine!

Survivor DO

Yeah, the hospital I volunteer at seems to have many IT issues :laugh:

I'm already a nurse, but if I don't get accepted into medical school I will use my bachelor's in Physics and apply to grad school for medical physics.