IM Prelim Match Interested in Completing IM Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andpatel1994

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but wanted some updated advice since I couldn't find anything too recent. Did find something from 2020, but had some additional questions not there.

I applied to anesthesia this year and matched into a 1-year program which is either an IM prelim or a TY, but I did not match into an advanced anesthesia spot. I was on the fence between anesthesia and IM throughout my entire application cycle and after having completed a few more IM rotations during the past few months which I really enjoyed, I realize my heart is really in IM and not in anesthesia. I hope to complete an IM residency rather than pursuing an anesthesiology residency but was unsure about how the application process works. I had heard that some of the possible options are to reapply IM through ERAS and the MATCH, find an open PGY-2 spot, or continue on in my current program if my PD will allow it. I was unsure about the time frame about when to reach out to my PD and if there is anything I should do during the summer before my rotation starts to get a head start. Also, would I need to take USMLE Step 3 or COMLEX Level 3 to be competitive for reapplication?

Just for some further info, I have Step 1 23X, Step 2 24x, COMLEX 1 60X, COMLEX 2 55X, all passed on the first try. As far as I am aware with both feedback from my school as well as programs I reached out to, I do not have any red flags on my application besides maybe dropping 50 points from COMLEX level 1 to level 2.

I truly appreciate any advice or insight anyone could give!

EDIT: I moved this to the IM and IM Subspecialty Board since that is probably a better place for this, I will no longer be active in this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but wanted some updated advice since I couldn't find anything too recent. Did find something from 2020, but had some additional questions not there.

I applied to anesthesia this year and matched into a 1-year program which is either an IM prelim or a TY, but I did not match into an advanced anesthesia spot. I was on the fence between anesthesia and IM throughout my entire application cycle and after having completed a few more IM rotations during the past few months which I really enjoyed, I realize my heart is really in IM and not in anesthesia. I hope to complete an IM residency rather than pursuing an anesthesiology residency but was unsure about how the application process works. I had heard that some of the possible options are to reapply IM through ERAS and the MATCH, find an open PGY-2 spot, or continue on in my current program if my PD will allow it. I was unsure about the time frame about when to reach out to my PD and if there is anything I should do during the summer before my rotation starts to get a head start. Also, would I need to take USMLE Step 3 or COMLEX Level 3 to be competitive for reapplication?

Just for some further info, I have Step 1 23X, Step 2 24x, COMLEX 1 60X, COMLEX 2 55X, all passed on the first try. As far as I am aware with both feedback from my school as well as programs I reached out to, I do not have any red flags on my application besides maybe dropping 50 points from COMLEX level 1 to level 2.

I truly appreciate any advice or insight anyone could give!
With those stats!? Why are you in a dead end prelim spot to begin with? You should have been all in on matching anesthesia or IM... was there something in your app that made it obvious that your on the fence about anesthesia. With those stats you should have been a shoe in to an anesthesia spot..

Last edited:
With those stats!? Why were you in a dead end prelim spot to begin with, what did you apply into last year?
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding but I'm a current M4, I applied anesthesia for this year's match. I put my TY/prelim spots at the end of my list just in case I didn't match and surprise, that's what I matched into.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding but I'm a current M4, I applied anesthesia for this year's match. I put my TY/prelim spots at the end of my list just in case I didn't match and surprise, that's what I matched into.
I am also confused tho, like if you applied anesthesia this year you either apply to combined programs(with intern year build in) or match into a advanced categorical one but you would still need to match a prelim correct? In the latter scenario would you have to soap into a prelim spot or would you match twice?

I am also confused tho, like if you applied anesthesia this year you either apply to combined programs(with intern year build in) or match into a advanced categorical one but you would still need to match a prelim correct? In the latter scenario would you have to soap into a prelim spot or would you match twice?
I applied to categorical and advanced anesthesia programs as well as a handful of transitional year and IM prelims. I believe that yes, if you match into an advanced program but not a prelim then you have to SOAP into a prelim. You put your prelims on a supplemental list that gets chosen from if you match advanced. I also put those same prelims on my main match so that if I didn't match anywhere I would at least have a prelim.

Reactions: 1 user