IM residency help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulDO1988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I scored low on both my COMLEX I and II (435 and 450). Can anyone provide advise on what ACGME community IM programs I should apply to? Location does not matter. Or should I not even bother with the ACGME match and just do the AOA match. I already applied to 30 programs in AOA match. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,
I scored low on both my COMLEX I and II (435 and 450). Can anyone provide advise on what ACGME community IM programs I should apply to? Location does not matter. Or should I not even bother with the ACGME match and just do the AOA match. I already applied to 30 programs in AOA match. Thank you.

I mean....if you registered for the acgme match already and have a couple hundred dollars, you might as well bc hey....you never know. However, I wouldn't forego the aoa match at all, even if you get like 5 interviews. If you get 10+ then I'd consider it, but you'll only get community iis. You may have a stellar app otherwise, but by your scores and without usmle, you're sol for acgme IM.

bump.

I have similar scores to the original poster and would like to ask about AOA IM programs. Anyone have any info about Palisades Medical Center or Meadowlands in NJ? Also for AOA IM programs in general what do you think my chances are? I have three pretty solid recommendations and just recently sent my applications out. Thanks.

OP,
It will be difficult to get interviews at ACGME places with those comlex scores. I would advise to stick to AOAs, especially after the merger you will have acgme certification too. But you are welcome to apply to programs where you want to live and try your luck but understand it will be difficult.

bump.

I have similar scores to the original poster and would like to ask about AOA IM programs. Anyone have any info about Palisades Medical Center or Meadowlands in NJ? Also for AOA IM programs in general what do you think my chances are? I have three pretty solid recommendations and just recently sent my applications out. Thanks.

I am a little familiar with the program, I had a chance to work with some of the residents when they first started out. It has about 10 residents, I had a chance to apply here but I didn't feel the training they offered warranted me spending three years there, it was a new program then. Unless you are really location restricted, I would try to get into a program that has some track record to producing residents who are practicing and passed their board exams. Palisade is a small hospital and I just didn't see myself working there for three years, does have a nice view though, right by the Hudson River.