I'm scared to take physics :( what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisismyacct

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduated this spring. My overall GPA is at or very, very slightly below a 3.0 and my science GPA is less than a 2.5, however I do have an upward trend the last 3/4 semesters (the one semester where I didn't, I had some family issues). I realize I have to do a post-bacc and a SMP.

I want to take physics at my alma mater, however, the physics department there is notoriously bad. There are no math prerequisites required for it, but I haven't taken math since high school. I'm freaking out about what to do. I don't want to take it at a community college since there is a math pre-req, which means it would delay the process, and some schools don't accept community college pre-reqs.

Also, kind of off topic but my plan for this upcoming year is this:

chem lab retake (long story), physics 1+lab, and 1-2 upper level bio classes in the fall. then next spring, physics 2+lab, chem 2 lecture, 1-2 upper level bio classes, then DAT and apply to SMPs.

Back on topic, the way I see it is:

1. Grow a pair and just will my way through it

2. try to teach myself physics before hand

3. #2 but also take a math class in the summer.

4. Options 1 and 2

I'm leaning towards option 4. What do you guys and girls recommend I do?

Members don't see this ad.

What else are you trying to do to boost your gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
No math prerequisite? Not even pre-calculus? That's odd. Anyway, as long as it's not calculus-based physics (it clearly isn't), you'll be fine. I haven't taken a math class since 2014 and I still aced mechanics/thermodynamics last semester and will ace electricity/magnetism this semester. You just need to know basic trigonometry and algebra (some trig identities, quadratic formula, etc.), which you can and will learn as you work through problems during lecture and at home. Have confidence, put in the work, and you'll be happy with the results.

Reactions: 1 user
Im not great at physics by any means, but I think investing in a dry erase board will be so helpful for you. Work with the professor during office hours to solve problems out. I took physics 2 this past semester and with constant practice and drawing, I got an A and I know you can also! Physics gets easier as you practice, as with any science class

Other than the post-bacc this year and hopefully the SMP next year? not much. Do you have any recommendations on that end?
Sounds like you're doing the right things. As far as the physics go, are you dead set on taking it at your school? Is there a chance you can take it somewhere else? I wouldn't risk getting a bad grade in your shoes

No math prerequisite? Not even pre-calculus? That's odd. Anyway, as long as it's not calculus-based physics (it clearly isn't), you'll be fine. I haven't taken a math class since 2014 and I still aced mechanics/thermodynamics last semester and will ace electricity/magnetism this semester. You just need to know basic trigonometry and algebra (some trig identities, quadratic formula, etc.), which you can and will learn as you work through problems during lecture and at home. Have confidence, put in the work, and you'll be happy with the results.

Correct, no math prerequisites. It's the physics for bio majors. The course description said "uses some calculus. designed for students majoring in biology".

Im not great at physics by any means, but I think investing in a dry erase board will be so helpful for you. Work with the professor during office hours to solve problems out. I took physics 2 this past semester and with constant practice and drawing, I got an A and I know you can also! Physics gets easier as you practice, as with any science class

Yeah I'm hoping I can just do a bunch of practice problems like with orgo and gen chem. the thing is the physics professors at my school are pretty bad, except for 1 who is supposed to be ok.

Sounds like you're doing the right things. As far as the physics go, are you dead set on taking it at your school? Is there a chance you can take it somewhere else? I wouldn't risk getting a bad grade in your shoes

Yes, I'm pretty set on taking it at my school. At the other schools around me, there are math pre-reqs. And then there are also a couple other schools which are very highly ranked and for obvious reasons I don't want to take it there lol. Then again I could ask my friends at those schools how physics is.

Yes, I'm pretty set on taking it at my school. At the other schools around me, there are math pre-reqs. And then there are also a couple other schools which are very highly ranked and for obvious reasons I don't want to take it there lol. Then again I could ask my friends at those schools how physics is.
Yeah then I would go with option 1 and 2. Get the book now and just start working it

I would say option #2 for sure. I haven’t taken a math class since freshman year of college (statistics) and I had never taken physics in high school. This past year I took physics I and physics II and got a B and A respectively.

The key is to first brush up on your algebra skills. Trust me, you’ll remember all of that good stuff very quickly. Next I would suggest that you get the textbook as mentioned above and read each section before you go to lecture. Even if you don’t understand it, you’ll have an idea of what is going on and will have questions for your professor before the lecture begins.

Good luck!

Honestly if you are gonna take algebra-based physics, you just need to know how to plug and chug...

Reactions: 1 user
I would say option #2 for sure. I haven’t taken a math class since freshman year of college (statistics) and I had never taken physics in high school. This past year I took physics I and physics II and got a B and A respectively.

The key is to first brush up on your algebra skills. Trust me, you’ll remember all of that good stuff very quickly. Next I would suggest that you get the textbook as mentioned above and read each section before you go to lecture. Even if you don’t understand it, you’ll have an idea of what is going on and will have questions for your professor before the lecture begins.

Good luck!

the fact that I haven't taken a math class in 5 years is what concerns me, so I think I will.

Graduated this spring. My overall GPA is at or very, very slightly below a 3.0 and my science GPA is less than a 2.5, however I do have an upward trend the last 3/4 semesters (the one semester where I didn't, I had some family issues). I realize I have to do a post-bacc and a SMP.

I want to take physics at my alma mater, however, the physics department there is notoriously bad. There are no math prerequisites required for it, but I haven't taken math since high school. I'm freaking out about what to do. I don't want to take it at a community college since there is a math pre-req, which means it would delay the process, and some schools don't accept community college pre-reqs.

Also, kind of off topic but my plan for this upcoming year is this:

chem lab retake (long story), physics 1+lab, and 1-2 upper level bio classes in the fall. then next spring, physics 2+lab, chem 2 lecture, 1-2 upper level bio classes, then DAT and apply to SMPs.

Back on topic, the way I see it is:

1. Grow a pair and just will my way through it

2. try to teach myself physics before hand

3. #2 but also take a math class in the summer.

4. Options 1 and 2

I'm leaning towards option 4. What do you guys and girls recommend I do?

Physics is hard. When I took physics my first year, I took engineering physics. This was a terrible idea. I ended up getting a B in the class. Next semester, however, I learned from my mistakes and worked my butt off to do well in Physics II.

Here's what you need to do:

If you are scared of taking physics, try Khan Academy lectures or other lectures on youtube that you like and start listening to them over the summer or before you take the class. So, when you actually get to taking physics, you will understand them better.

Second, study with a peer group. Your group will help you understand stuff that makes no sense to you.

Third, do the practice problem ahead of your lecture. This will really help you understand what's happening in the lecture.

Finally, learn to enjoy the topics in physics. Read fun stories about physics to get you motivated. There are a ton of them in nytimes.

Hope this helps

I know a lot of people are saying to use khan academy. I personally used the AK Lectures guy on youtube for physics and would play the videos during my commute and would suggest using his video series. He breaks down every problem you will see and does it chapter by chapter, I ended up enjoying it and learning beyond the scope of the class.

Physics is hard. When I took physics my first year, I took engineering physics. This was a terrible idea. I ended up getting a B in the class. Next semester, however, I learned from my mistakes and worked my butt off to do well in Physics II.

Here's what you need to do:

If you are scared of taking physics, try Khan Academy lectures or other lectures on youtube that you like and start listening to them over the summer or before you take the class. So, when you actually get to taking physics, you will understand them better.

Second, study with a peer group. Your group will help you understand stuff that makes no sense to you.

Third, do the practice problem ahead of your lecture. This will really help you understand what's happening in the lecture.

Finally, learn to enjoy the topics in physics. Read fun stories about physics to get you motivated. There are a ton of them in nytimes.

Hope this helps

Thank you for the advice.

I know a lot of people are saying to use khan academy. I personally used the AK Lectures guy on youtube for physics and would play the videos during my commute and would suggest using his video series. He breaks down every problem you will see and does it chapter by chapter, I ended up enjoying it and learning beyond the scope of the class.

I think I used his chem videos before. Thank you for the advice. And does he make videos for algebra based physics as well?

I think I used his chem videos before. Thank you for the advice. And does he make videos for algebra based physics as well?
Yes, I took algebra based physics and used his videos. Try to google him he has a website and it's a lot better organized than just off of youtube.

Physics is beautiful but it's a full-time job lol.