Im sure you guys are getting sick of this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtymk076

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm another student that is considering optometry as a career, I have looked at many schools like berkeley, SCCO, and SUNY. Since most of you guys probably know better than I do, what are my chances of getting in...Im from Canada btw, Calgary to be exact. My GPA of my prereq courses is about 3.4, and my overall GPA in my degree of health sciences is going to be about 3.4 as well, possibly slightly higher or lower. I will have a minor in chemistry and a minor in biology as well, I have not written the OAT yet, I will be this summer. I am also being paid by my university to do research beside my physiology proff this summer. I havent done too much volunteering but I plan too in the near future.

I guess what my real question is...where do I stand amongst the other applicants

Mike

Members don't see this ad.

Well from your GPA alone you have a chance! But it's hard to say without knowing how much shadowing you will have completed and what your OAT scores are...

But since you are from Canada, from what I've heard they will add some points to your GPA.

The research part is good experience too :) though not necessary.

But since you are from Canada, from what I've heard they will add some points to your GPA.

Just wondering.... where did you hear that? I wonder what the rationale would be...

Ya I heard its a little easier for Canadians to get in as well, I duno if its just that American optometry schools want a little more diversity or if its the massive bank loans us Canadians take out in order to pay for schooling. GPA and OAT scores are just indicators of work ethic, Decisions are really based on intellect which is determined during the interview, and your ability to pay the school tuition. Just cause someone has a higher GPA doesn't mean they are more intelligent, I know complete idiots that have 3.8 and 3.9 GPA's just cause they have a good memory, and work very hard, but they do not have a scientific mindset by any means, this is what the schools look for.