I'm worried about my DAT scores. HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plconnors

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I just took the DAT and am worried about my scores. I got 17-AA and 20-PAT. Any recommendations for schools to apply to? I have a 3.6 science GPA and a 3.5 overall GPA. I have two B.A. degrees, one in film and the other in philosophy. What are my chances? Any advice? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

That depends on how hard you studied on the DAT. Can you do better? Did you feel you did the best you possibly could? A 17 AA is not competative at all these days and will get your app tossed in the trash at many schools.

If you can do better, retake it. Your app cycle will be so much smoother. Trust me!!!

plconnors said:
Hi everybody,
I just took the DAT and am worried about my scores. I got 17-AA and 20-PAT. Any recommendations for schools to apply to? I have a 3.6 science GPA and a 3.5 overall GPA. I have two B.A. degrees, one in film and the other in philosophy. What are my chances? Any advice? Thanks.

I do agree with the previous responder. However, I see that you have a great GPA and good PAT scores. Your AA might be little disappointing. I suggest that you apply to Tufts, NYU, Columbia, Michigan and Marquette. If you do take a test again and end up doing better, just send them a new score.

Members don't see this ad :)
plconnors said:
Hi everybody,

To me, it looks like you didn't study for the academic portion of the DAT. I should know, I took the dat twice, first time 17 and the second time 19. I've been told that a 18 is the national average of all test takers. If your on the fence about taking the DAT over, the best thing to do would be to call schools your really interested in and ask whether this DAT score along with your GPA is good enough to get you an interview. Schools to consider:

Temple
NYU
Indiana
Buffalo

I am sure there are other schools to consider as well, I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

hd

the previous respondents are correct. as dental schools are getting more competative, your 17 will result in schools ignoring your application, especially with 2 non science degrees, in relatively softball subjects. if i were you, i would spend every free moment studying the material so that you can successfully retake your dat's and get at least 20. i wish you good luck and success.

Yeah, retake it and this time study like your life depends on it, because in a sense it really does.

You definitely need to take your DAT again. I applied to 13 schools last year and got one interview. My stats were similar to yours:

3.65 overall GPA
3.78 science GPA
DAT 17/17/17

I too was not a science major. I've been studying since March and retake my DAT in a few weeks.

Bottom line, dental schools look at your science GPA and your DAT score. Having all the shadowing experience, volunteer hours, extracurricular activities, etc. won't matter. They're simply needed to complete the whole package.

Good Luck!!