I'm worried I've ruined any plans other than medicine

Mossmoon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been married for three years and we have had a pretty low income for the whole time. We are both nurse assistants in the UK, but I am a med student and my husband is a student nurse. I desperately want to be a neonatologist (I'll eventually move to the USA, where I am originally from), but I also am not willing to compromise on having a family. I am 26 now and will be about 30 when I graduate. I don't want to be a 40+ year old IVF mother. I have read that a lot of people have babies during med school as this is most convienient, but without a trust fund, this is also not a very nice thing to do for your child. Has anyone else been in this position? Is it really as impossible as so many people that post here make it out to be?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Mossmoon, check out Dr. Au's blog. She's a resident and recent mother... definitely an interesting blog and possibly helpful considering she had her child in her first year of residency, and her husband is a doc as well... Good luck.

http://theunderweardrawer.blogspot.com/

Mossmoon said:
I have been married for three years and we have had a pretty low income for the whole time. We are both nurse assistants in the UK, but I am a med student and my husband is a student nurse. I desperately want to be a neonatologist (I'll eventually move to the USA, where I am originally from), but I also am not willing to compromise on having a family. I am 26 now and will be about 30 when I graduate. I don't want to be a 40+ year old IVF mother. I have read that a lot of people have babies during med school as this is most convienient, but without a trust fund, this is also not a very nice thing to do for your child. Has anyone else been in this position? Is it really as impossible as so many people that post here make it out to be?

I know personally, quite a few people that have had babies during med school. Its an extra stress, but it can be done with the right attitude....mentally, emotionally, and financially.

I don't know how it is over there, but here in the usa, there are alot of state programs available to help with providing for a child. I have friends that had a hard time taking the assistance but in the end realized that they will be putting back more in taxes then they used to help get them through med school.

Probably what is the most needed in my opinion, is emotional support. While you are doing school, do you have someone that will love your child and care for them? That is the most important consideration.....but again, it can be done. :)

Good luck following your dreams!
With smiles,
Wifty