Imac VS PC for EEG reading?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barzan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious for those CNP/ Epilepsy fellows or attending's out there, what are using to read EEGs from home Macs? or PC if so any thoughts on pros and cons, FYI I am trying to purchase a desktop for my upcoming fellowship.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Anything works and a big monitor is the largest factor. I wouldn't buy a computer just to read EEGs. Example- I can access hospital citrix through my samsung phone, project a desktop from it onto my 27" monitor and read running EEGs/see patients via telehealth with no difficulty. If you like macs, get a mac.

I'm just a medical student so I have no advice in terms of reading EEGs but I used to work in tech for a while before med school and if you're just looking for performance PC>>>Mac. A PC that costs $X will pretty much always outperform a mac at the same price. Windows is also backwards compatible all the way to Windows 95 so they're much better at running older software if necessary

Members don't see this ad :)
Epilepsy Fellow here at a high volume center

i would say mac all the way, for a reason you wouldnt expect: the gestures and the supreme trackpad. It has to be a macbook pro though.

When youre on the job youre going to be juggling your MAR, natus, reports, imaging, email etc.

The mac just has an incredibly smooth and easy way to transition between different desktop screens and different windows without having to go down to the task bar and click on windows. Ive used a PC for nearly 15 years of my life and just picked up a mac for this fellowship year, ans I just dont think pcs compare in terms of pure productivity per minute.

I would strongly avoid the new 'M1' macs (MBP and air) just released. There is no indication they will be compatible with anything software wise, even citrix is questionable. Gestures are not new and a surface is a viable alternative with an actual touch screen. I am also at a high volume center, and use my gaming laptop for most of my work as I am remote, but as I said even a phone will work.

If your laptop screen is small, you may need to change EEG setting to 10 seconds per epoch. Or, the best solution is you can project it on your TV and read if you want to read remotely. I am one of those that only feel comfortable reading EEGs at 15 seconds epoch settings in general, and 20 seconds for neonatal EEG.