IMG chances at Neurosurgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maianelson

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a first-year medical student studying at University College Cork Ireland. From what I've read so far, planning early--especially for more competitive specialties (i.e. neurosurgery)--is extremely important to get into US residencies.

Any IMGs who matched to neurosurgery willing to share their stats, tactics, research experiences, etc.? I'd love to chat.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
I’m in the same situation as yours, I’m on my way to get into second year. Did you find out anything interesting?

The 2023 Match data shows that 75.0% of US img and 61.5% of Non-US img applicants went unmatched.

Members don't see this ad :)
The 2023 Match data shows that 75.0% of US img and 61.5% of Non-US img applicants went unmatched.
You have zero chance of getting into a NS program unless you are literally perfect 100 on every test evaluation and score from day 1 of med school.

And even then.. It's iffy.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not aiming for NS, just providing the match data.

Hello,

I'm a first-year medical student studying at University College Cork Ireland. From what I've read so far, planning early--especially for more competitive specialties (i.e. neurosurgery)--is extremely important to get into US residencies.

Any IMGs who matched to neurosurgery willing to share their stats, tactics, research experiences, etc.? I'd love to chat.
Hello, I am a first-year medical student also interested in neurosurgery. The Neurosurgical Atlas and Neurosurgery Match have some useful information regarding the application process. Try searching for interviews of IMG Neurosurgery residents on YouTube too. I hope this helps!