IMG chances for Ortho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alternatego

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took Step 1 and ended up getting a 246. I plan on taking Step 2 CS and CK before applying to the match, but what do you guys think my chances are?

There's really not much I could have done about being an IMG, as I wasn't lucky enough to have been born in America - I know it will be difficult, I just hope it isn't impossible.

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2012.pdf

According to the statistics, 94% of the residency positions were filled by AMG's. That leaves 6% of 682 positions, so about 41 positions were filled by IMG's. Seems like it is difficult but not impossible.

Members don't see this ad :)
actually NO.... p.5 from the pdf you posted:

IMG's matched into Ortho in 2012: 9
9/682= 0.013%

My bad, you are correct. Sorry about the misinformation on my part.

It depends I think what kind of IMG you are. Carribean IMG or an IMG from the UK or similiar qualification. If you are from the UK, like me, and have excellent english proficiency, good board scores, research, and letters of recommendation, and a sincere interest in the field, you will be considered.

I am a US citizen studying in his final year at a med school in the UK and I have applied for integrated VS surgery programs, and am getting interviews and very solidly getting interviews for General Surgery. So I think the idea of being an IMG needs to be further differentiated between being an IMG from the Carribean/India/Pakistan/Eastern Europe/Africa or an IMG from UK/Australia/Western Europe/South Africa/Australia/Israel.

How much I wish IMGs were considered for Ortho...

As a Caribbean IMG with respectable board scores 252/261 I received 0/78 interview invitations. I am a US citizen, have good LORs, and did my ortho rotation and sub-i at a program with ACGME approved ortho residency, but I received no interview offers. Ortho is competitive enough there are enough great AMG applicants that there is no need to look at IMGs.

I honestly don't think higher board scores would have helped. I tried calling in a few favors and working a few connections, but it didnt matter. I however didn't publish in ortho, which could be the missing piece but the fact that I didnt get a single interviews makes me think it wouldn't have mattered.

Ortho is an awesome field. I will stay jealous of all the orthopods throughout my medical career, but i got to know when to cut my losses. As for me, I am going to IM and going to work as hard as i can to get into a fellowship that is procedural. An ERCP isn't as cool as an ORIF but I will have to find a way to make peace with it.

So, unless your application is several orders of magnitude stronger then mine, An IMG going into Ortho now-a-days just doesn't happen.

Last edited: