IMG from Jordan and U.S. green card. What are my residency chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustATest

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've searched far and wide and haven't been able to find the answer to this question.

I have a friend who graduated from JUST medical school in Jordan and has a U.S. green card. He wants to know if his chances are just as high as an AMG to get into residency even though technically he is an IMG.

Members don't see this ad.

Chances just looking at IMG status are low. But in your "friends" case it is even lower. It just shows poor judgment and laziness from his part asking a "friend" to search for information "far and wide" and coming up empty handed! This is the most common asked questions, tons of information (SDN, FREIDA, ACGME, Stats from every years match, and so on) as well as not providing any information about his choice of residency, STEP scores, LORs etc.

Reactions: 1 user
..,He wants to know if his chances are just as high as an AMG to get into residency even though technically he is an IMG.

Um no. Your "friend" is an IMG. He presumably hasn't done US rotations and has a foreign degree from a medical school few PDs are going to be very familiar with. Since he has a green card he will be in the IMG pile just above those with visa issues.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all, I've searched far and wide and haven't been able to find the answer to this question.

I have a friend who graduated from JUST medical school in Jordan and has a U.S. green card. He wants to know if his chances are just as high as an AMG to get into residency even though technically he is an IMG.

What are his Board scores? My quick answer is no, it won't be easy for him.

he is not technically an IMG...he IS an IMG...even US citizens who graduate from a foreign school are considered IMGs

and without any other details its hard to say what his chances are, but most definitely not as high as an AMG...

ok thanks all, so he's an IMG that is above the other IMG's that need a visa.. that's all I needed to know :)