IMG - Graduated in 2010 - Residency problems?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZooeyGlassy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

This must be an oft-asked question, but I am in a bit of a panic situation, so please do indulge me? I graduated from a top medical college in India in 2010, got a (fairly well-known) scholarship to read for a DPhil (PhD) in Neuroscience at a prestigious university in England. The PhD resulted in a lot of conference presentations, papers, and published abstracts. (I understand that none of that matters, but I am putting it out there just for narrative clarity. I apologise if it unwittingly came off pompous. Not my intention.)

I am now looking to apply for residency training in Neurology here. For the 2018 intake which means I am now in the process of studying for the boards. I have a couple of doubts:

1. How hard and fast is the 5-year after graduation rule? Even if the intervening six years (as in my case now) were spent on a PhD which involved seeing neurodegenerative disease patients for five years?

2. Do programme directors tend to make exceptions or am I incontrovertibly doomed?

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who might have any insight on this. Would really appreciate it.

Best,
This-PhD-Is-Screwing-Me-Over

Members don't see this ad.

Does it reduce your chances? Yes (only because you get filtered out from some programs). Is it a deal breaker? Definitely not!
If it is the US where you want to pursue your training, then ace your steps, come here, and get yourself known.

Usually in Neurology, genuine interest is considered highly when interviewing people. You will surely come off as someone with strong interest. Despite one negative in your application(YOG), if you scores are above the mean, you should match somewhere. And if your publications are great then more so.

Hello all,

This must be an oft-asked question, but I am in a bit of a panic situation, so please do indulge me? I graduated from a top medical college in India in 2010, got a (fairly well-known) scholarship to read for a DPhil (PhD) in Neuroscience at a prestigious university in England. The PhD resulted in a lot of conference presentations, papers, and published abstracts. (I understand that none of that matters, but I am putting it out there just for narrative clarity. I apologise if it unwittingly came off pompous. Not my intention.)

I am now looking to apply for residency training in Neurology here. For the 2018 intake which means I am now in the process of studying for the boards. I have a couple of doubts:

1. How hard and fast is the 5-year after graduation rule? Even if the intervening six years (as in my case now) were spent on a PhD which involved seeing neurodegenerative disease patients for five years?

2. Do programme directors tend to make exceptions or am I incontrovertibly doomed?

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who might have any insight on this. Would really appreciate it.

Best,
This-PhD-Is-Screwing-Me-Over
hey! having a similar problem here in 2018 (also an Indian graduate-from LHMC,Delhi, but w/o a PhD from England.kudos on that bdw!) Are u still pursuing USMLE? if yes, can u tell me what has been your experience regarding this stupid rule of YOG.

will really appreciate your insights.

PS: sorry for asking a question insteasd of providing any help. will try to return the favor in future if i am in a position to.