IMG with green card and MPH wants to go to med school again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tuxie23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am really struggling with my future career path right now and I need some help and advise from you guys.

A bit about myself: I went to med school in China from 2007 to 2012. After graduation, I received my permanent residency (green card), came to the U.S. and spent 2 year to get an MPH (Master of Public Health) degree. After doing epidemiology research for a while, I realized I am not a "research person" and I still want to be a physician here in the U.S., so I took the USMLE Step 1 but unfortunately failed. That was when I also realized my former medical education did not fully equip me to become a successful doctor in this country. Although a lot of IMGs successfully passed the USMLE and match, I feel that only receiving formal medical training in the U.S. can make me feel comfortable to practice here.

I didn't find anything online about IMGs applying for med school he U.S., and I have no idea whether the admission board will even consider me since I already graduated from a foreign med school. :(

Does anyone have any advise for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I am really struggling with my future career path right now and I need some help and advise from you guys.

A bit about myself: I went to med school in China from 2007 to 2012. After graduation, I received my permanent residency (green card), came to the U.S. and spent 2 year to get an MPH (Master of Public Health) degree. After doing epidemiology research for a while, I realized I am not a "research person" and I still want to be a physician here in the U.S., so I took the USMLE Step 1 but unfortunately failed. That was when I also realized my former medical education did not fully equip me to become a successful doctor in this country. Although a lot of IMGs successfully passed the USMLE and match, I feel that only receiving formal medical training in the U.S. can make me feel comfortable to practice here.

I didn't find anything online about IMGs applying for med school he U.S., and I have no idea whether the admission board will even consider me since I already graduated from a foreign med school. :(

Does anyone have any advise for me?
Sorry about your discouraging results to far. It's true that NYCOM runs a program which allows foreign physicians to obtain their medical degree. I know a couple of foreign physicians who took this route and now practice in the U.S. The program used to be 3 years long, but I think it is now 4 years. Here is the information:http://www.nyit.edu/medicine/admissions/emigre_physician_program_epp/

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Goro, Schottish Chap, thank you very much for the information! The program does seem like a good fit for my situation!

Sorry about your discouraging results to far. It's true that NYCOM runs a program which allows foreign physicians to obtain their medical degree. I know a couple of foreign physicians who took this route and now practice in the U.S. The program used to be 3 years long, but I think it is now 4 years. Here is the information:http://www.nyit.edu/medicine/admissions/emigre_physician_program_epp/

Best of luck!

You mentioned that you know a couple of foreign physicians who did this program. Have they mentioned anything about the quality of the program or how it is different from the ordinary med school curriculum? Thanks again! :)