IMG's/FMG's Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future-emdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen this pop up yet surprisingly. There must be a few of us on this board! How are the other IMG's/FMG's fairing?

My status:

1 interview (Wayne State Sinai-Grace)
3 rejections (U of MD, Summa, Uni of Kentucky)

Not freaking out yet, but will be if I don't get more by mid-November.

Members don't see this ad.

Haven't seen this pop up yet surprisingly. There must be a few of us on this board! How are the other IMG's/FMG's fairing?

My status:

1 interview (Wayne State Sinai-Grace)
3 rejections (U of MD, Summa, Uni of Kentucky)

Not freaking out yet, but will be if I don't get more by mid-November.

4 rejections, george washington, university of south florida, duke university and johns hopkins, no invites so far so yes, i am already freaking out. sent out 42 apps.

one interview (BI manhattan; rotated there), lots of 'we have your application...blah blah blah'.

Two rejections: Summa, U of Iowa.

Applied to 85...casted a broad and wide net.

Application up since Mid september, final SLOR up middle of last week (the one I've been waiting for...sweet).

Hopefully should be getting them in the first two weeks of Nov.

Members don't see this ad :)
3 interviews- BI nyc, BI newark, St Lukes bethlehem
1 rejection- lehigh valley

Still waiting for that slor... I would think they would send it out already to stop me from annoying them but apparently they like being annoyed by me...

Hopefully it will get out this week (7 weeks should be enough...) by the time the Dean's letter is opened.

Dont worry guys its still early in the game. Unfortunatly our situation is a little different from American grads. They are already getting a tone of interviews. Most of the programs look to fill their spots with american grads to maintain their statistics but others are more IMG friendly. Eventually american grads will start canceling a lot of their interviews and there will be more slots open. Plus I think alot of programs are looking for the Dean's letter to come out. By this time 2 years ago I had 3 interviews and i was freaking out because I was looking at american grads and they had 10. It increased in November and I think I even got some interviews in early December. In total I had 10 or 11. So keep this link going it will help people know where they stand. But on the other hand its good to know that my residency is giving out interviews to IMGs early.

Dont worry guys its still early in the game. Unfortunatly our situation is a little different from American grads. They are already getting a tone of interviews. Most of the programs look to fill their spots with american grads to maintain their statistics but others are more IMG friendly. Eventually american grads will start canceling a lot of their interviews and there will be more slots open. Plus I think alot of programs are looking for the Dean's letter to come out. By this time 2 years ago I had 3 interviews and i was freaking out because I was looking at american grads and they had 10. It increased in November and I think I even got some interviews in early December. In total I had 10 or 11. So keep this link going it will help people know where they stand. But on the other hand its good to know that my residency is giving out interviews to IMGs early.
Boy i sure as hell felt better after reading your post, there is still hope yet and i am hoping like crazy that i will get some interviews.....i guess once MSPE is out we will know for sure where we stand.

I think it's time to update this thread.
I'm an IMG, requiring J-1 Visa...

Interviews: Wayne State Sinai-Grace, Uni of Rochester, LSU-Baton Rouge
Rejections: U of MD, Summa, Uni of Kentucky, Maine, Uni of Louisville, Uni of South Florida, Eastern Virginia Med School, SUNY Upstate, WUSTL

Ouch! 3 interviews, 9 rejections...
Hurts so bad when you see everyone else having 10+ interviews and <5 rejects.
And I thought I had a decently strong app...

How is everyone else doing now?

Ok adding interviews- NY hospital of queens, suny stonybrook, albert einstein medical center in philadelphia
rejection-boston medical center

I am a bit bummed as well. I have three invites and one rejection, 53 apps. I have what I thought were pretty good stats. Top third of the class, 225/92 step I, 247/99 step II, 12 years as a paramedic and instructor. I know american grads with lesser stats getting tons of interviews. It is disheartening and I am stunned everytime I check my empty e-mail inbox. It is a shame that all IMGs get viewed in a negative light in respect to interviews and being ranked. Although I certainly do not regret the school I chose to attend, I did not anticipate such a bias. Hopefully some other programs will show some love soon. Although, I am really happy about Texas and LSU, both programs I really like

Thus far: LSU New Orleans, Wayne State/Sinai, and Texas Tech El Paso.

Rejection: Maine

Anyone with any tips to get some interviews rolling in? I certainly do not intend to apply to other specitalties. I am still a medic, and have always wanted an MPH...so if the stars don't align this year, they will come around once again next year as I am pursuing something else that I love...

Best of luck to all...