IMGs on the 2007 interview season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LanceArmstrong

Level X Elite User
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to hear from some IMG's, please post info/stats as in:

Specialty / USMLE stats / Programs applied
Places offered / accepted interview / interview experiences.

-Peace

Members don't see this ad.

What no replies still...come on guys dont tell me there are no imgs reading this...

Here I'll go:

EM / 90's on both steps / 100 programs
1 interview so far scheduled for december...

I know all of you IM and FP guys have about 27 interviews on average each...so post :)

Radiology/90 and Passed no score report yet on CK (updated today)/100+ programs
1 interview from a previous away rotation
2 prelim interviews

multiple rejections

Internal Medicine, Step-1 88% and Step-2 90%. no visa issue, US citizen
So far: Three interview calls, 4 Rejections, 120 plus programs....

General Surgery, high 90's on both steps, 40 programs, J1
1 prelim 1 categorical/prelim interview
2 rejections so far

Prelim / Step 1 94; Step 2 96/ 18 programs/ Green card
1 prelim interview - Michael Reese
no rejections yet:)

(P.S. i'm odd; I'm finishing neuro res this year at Hopkins and have to go back and do prelim year so I can take boards/fellowship. Got in outside of match initially).

Prelim / Step 1 94; Step 2 96/ 18 programs/ Green card
1 prelim interview - Michael Reese
no rejections yet:)

(P.S. i'm odd; I'm finishing neuro res this year at Hopkins and have to go back and do prelim year so I can take boards/fellowship. Got in outside of match initially).

Wow Su, is that even allowed? I thought you must finish the prelim first? How did you manage to do that?

Internal Medicine

93/95..steps 1/2 passed CS

no visa needed

graduated this year(carib school)

14 interviews ...all university .....applied to 53 or 54
1 rejection

Wow Su, is that even allowed? I thought you must finish the prelim first? How did you manage to do that?

Its funny actually, came over to US to do CSA exam and apply for match but had a 11 month between finishing internship in UK and starting residency here. So sent emails to all the neuro program directors around the country asking about research assistant position for the 11 months I had to kill. Luckily for me, the Hopkins PD invited me to interview for a residency spot as they had a vacancy because on of the residents changed to a 2 years neurorad program therefore leaving a chief short in the final year. Long story short, I went into the program straight into PGY2 starting in January. My PD then cleared this with the ABPN so that I could do my prelim afterwards!!! Phew! I need a drink now! :eek:

Actually I guess it worked out well for me except for the fact that I have to become an intern now after being a chief! I've got 5 months off between Jan and June next year before starting internship and I've been lucky to secure a locum tenens position as a private practice neurologist in Iowa!

Best of luck to everyone in their applications, I've heard there has been an incredibly high number of applicants this year. Michael Reese said they have received over 1800 applications! Anyone have any idea why so many this year?

More and more foreign grads are applying... with very little visa restriction...

+

more DO schools opened.

+

Residency spots rising very very slowly compared to the number of applicant rise. 100s compared to thousands.

Expect it to get worse and worse in the coming years.

true foreign grad - graduated in 2005 (Europe)
applied to gas
Step 1 - 98, Step 2 - 99, ECFMG certified
no visa (married to US citizen)
applied to 60+ programs (45+ anesthesia)
2 interviews and no rejections from gas programs
2 interviews and 1 rejection from preliminary med programs

IMG, need h1, 99/96/89/mrcp1/2005grad/3months hands on usce/1presentation/some cardio research
104applications, 24iviews, 4 rejections - internal medicine

IMG, need h1, 99/96/89/mrcp1/2005grad/3months hands on usce/1presentation/some cardio research
104applications, 24iviews, 4 rejections - internal medicine

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Psych
Step 1 230+, CS pass, Step 2 CK end of this month
Programs applied: > 45
2 interview offers
2 rejections
Lots of programs waiting on Step 2 CK

GS - 30 programs applied, all university, no response yet
99/99/CS passed; in PhD, have publication
Is it wise to call programs to know the status of application or should I wait?

GS - 30 programs applied, all university, no response yet
99/99/CS passed; in PhD, have publication
Is it wise to call programs to know the status of application or should I wait?

Holy christ. you applied to 30 programs?
*side note: that guy above that applied to 104...thats freaking hysterical*

you should be getting interviews allready, call them just to make sure there isnt a problem with them getting your stuff. If you call one or two and they have your app but just arent interested, no need to call the others.

Sorry, I'm confused.

Do IMGs not get the same Step 1 and 2 score reports that US students get???
I keep seeing people write that they got 98 or 90 or 92 on Step 1, but they don't mention any three digit scores. What about the 3 digit scores like 217 or 236? I thought the second 2-digit score wasn't really something that you could use to gauge your actual performance.

Sorry, I'm confused.

Do IMGs not get the same Step 1 and 2 score reports that US students get???
I keep seeing people write that they got 98 or 90 or 92 on Step 1, but they don't mention any three digit scores. What about the 3 digit scores like 217 or 236? I thought the second 2-digit score wasn't really something that you could use to gauge your actual performance.

Most programs use the two digit score for screening, not the 3 digit score.. hence the report of the two digit score. It's cause the 2 digit score always has 75 has passing... so you can compare candidates who took the exam before the passing grade in the three digit score got moved up to those who took it after.

As for the 99/99/CS passed applied to 30 GS programs..... two things. 1) Surgery usually gives invitations to IMG/FMGs after November when the dean's letter gets released. 2) Check the programs you applied to and make sure they do take IMGs (they probably do). You should apply to some middle tier programs just incase.

But...

I think there is no harm in calling them now to be honest... what's the worst that can happen? They tell you wait till November? Okay.. that should make you feel better.

Thanks for your replies, folks. They were quite encouraging. Actually, I summoned the guts to call up a program soon after I posted the thread and was told that the app would be going into review this Friday. So I guess I'll have to cool my heels for another week, at least.

I agree with the fact that IMGs are usually called for interviews in November, but I see here that some have gotten responses already. Thats what got me worrying. And dear dynx, we FMGs do need to apply to so many programs to have even an iota of chance.

Say, is there a possibilty that programs would not have rec'd documents even though ADTS shows that all relevant docs have been downloaded by them?

Thanks for your replies, folks. They were quite encouraging. Actually, I summoned the guts to call up a program soon after I posted the thread and was told that the app would be going into review this Friday. So I guess I'll have to cool my heels for another week, at least.

I agree with the fact that IMGs are usually called for interviews in November, but I see here that some have gotten responses already. Thats what got me worrying. And dear dynx, we FMGs do need to apply to so many programs to have even an iota of chance.

Say, is there a possibilty that programs would not have rec'd documents even though ADTS shows that all relevant docs have been downloaded by them?

Just looking at your 99/99 and a PHD you seem like a strong candidate, i dont know about applying as a FMG though. 104 is just plain insane though, I can't believe thats reasonable.

Step 1--98
ck/cs are still pending
11 interviews out of 38 applications with no rejections

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

well if u can laugh at urself then u can laugh at anythin:)

the 24iviews are bcoz i have visa issues and have to apply to a ton of lower tier progs if i want to b sure of a position. anyways good tidings for u.

Holy christ. you applied to 30 programs?
*side note: that guy above that applied to 104...thats freaking hysterical*

you should be getting interviews allready, call them just to make sure there isnt a problem with them getting your stuff. If you call one or two and they have your app but just arent interested, no need to call the others.

:D

only thing i can say is that im not alone

the world is so full of ordinary madness, lets do something new
- powerman 5000

The silence is getting pretty eerie, folks.

No good news from my side. 5 rejections, no interviews.

Yes it's freaky...

But something magical happens in November.... it's called the deadline for submitting applications. Once the deadline passes, many programs dump the incomplete applications and start to look at what they got vigorously.

Some programs also have deadlines in December.. but many have it in November right after the Dean's letter is out.

EM & Path, 1 - 78, 2 - 99, CS - passed, 5 rejections so far, 4 EM, 1 Path. No interviews. But looking at the scores i have seen posted in this room, i have no chance of getting into a good residency program with those exceptional scores to compete against.:oops: , oh well, let's see what november brings.

Transitional/prelim IM in Chicago

2 interviews:
Cook County 11/13
Michael Reese 12/7

1 on waiting list:
West Suburban (even though I replied to the interview email the second it got into my inbox!!)

1 on hold:
St Francis

No rejections..yet!
Called a couple of programs...as mentioned before by others on this thread..I also go the same response about programs finalizing their lists after release of the Dean's letter.

Psych applied to > 45 programs
6 invites, 3 rejections so far.
A couple programs waiting on Step 2 CK scores.

I just thought I'd update my status since I started this thread about 2 weeks ago. I now have 4 EM and 5 IM interviews (9 total), with most of these coming in the last 10 days. I also have 7 EM rejections, but no IM rejections.:)

Finally...got my interview for Prelim at Rush today! Whoopee!!:D

Anyone have any interview experiences at Rush already?? Would appreciate any input.

Pediatrics
209 step1/225 step 2/pased CS
US citizen
applied to 60 programs (couples matching with another IMG)
20 interviews (may keep them all bc I am paranoid!)
12 rejections (mostly from places I had no right in applying to in the first place)

Just wanted to update my stats:

EM : 4 invites / 30 rejections / 70 pending
IM: 6 invites / 0 rejections / 25 pending

P

true foreign grad - graduated in 2005 (Europe)
applied to gas
Step 1 - 98, Step 2 - 99, ECFMG certified
no visa (married to US citizen)
applied to 60+ programs (45+ anesthesia)
9 interviews and 9 rejections from gas programs; waitlisted by 1 program
5 interviews and 2 rejections from preliminary/TY programs

USMLE Step 1: 98/243
USMLE Step 2ck: 89/219
USMLE Step 2cs: passed
Doctor of Chiropractic
Off-shore Caribbean student (Saba Univerisity School of Medicine)
US Citizen

Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- 23 applications
- 11 interviews (Nassau, UT Southwestern, OSU, LSU, ECU, Eastern Virginia, Thomas Jeff., Albert Einstein, Marianjoy, U. of Miami, Mercy Pitt)
- 2 rejections (U. or Virginia, RIC)

Internal Medicine Preliminary year
- 26 applications
- 9 interviews (Greenville SC, ECU, Jewish Cinci, Christ Cinci, Virginia, West Virginia, Bassett, York, New Hanover)
- 1 rejection (Morristown)

Applying to OB/Gyn
Step 1 (241) 97/ step 2 (263) 99
Us Citizen
Applied to 68 places
So far 25 interviews, but I'm going to have a cancel a couple due to scheduling conflicts.
I don't know how many rejections but about 10
Probably not going to hear from the rest

Scared out of my mind!!! Any opinions about OB/GYN and IMGs?

Applying to OB/Gyn
Step 1 (241) 97/ step 2 (263) 99
Us Citizen
Applied to 68 places
So far 25 interviews, but I'm going to have a cancel a couple due to scheduling conflicts.
I don't know how many rejections but about 10
Probably not going to hear from the rest

Scared out of my mind!!! Any opinions about OB/GYN and IMGs?

You should not so be worried...having 25 interviews is great.

Thanks Mom2five for your kind words, unfortunately nothing is certain for any of us until March. Don't take me wrong I am very surprised, happy and gratefull but I'm just hoping I'm taking the right decisions, if all of you know what I mean. I just know things can go very wrong or they can be great... hoping for the last.

As for Faebinder, what are YOU trying to say? come on, we are all adults and I was just asking for advice.

Happyob, congratulations on getting so many interviews.
As for what faebinder said..it's simple...

25 interviews is a lot. It's insane to go to so many interviews. And it's unlikely that you will rank 25 programs as well. Pick your top 15 or so, and go to those. Having an extra 10 which you have no intention of going to is just preventing others from getting it.

Happyob, congratulations on getting so many interviews.
As for what faebinder said..it's simple...

25 interviews is a lot. It's insane to go to so many interviews. And it's unlikely that you will rank 25 programs as well. Pick your top 15 or so, and go to those. Having an extra 10 which you have no intention of going to is just preventing others from getting it.

Not to mention coming on here and saying "Scared out of their mind". Go tell that to the poor guys/gals applying to OBGYN and got 1 or 2 interviews.

Not to mention coming on here and saying "Scared out of their mind". Go tell that to the poor guys/gals applying to OBGYN and got 1 or 2 interviews.

Or Radiology applicants...

Or Radiology applicants...

At least in radiology you can say you aimed too high... If you are getting 1 or 2 interviews in OBGYN then you're not in a good shape and should be scared.

Hmm...has anyone ever gotten into EM with lower Step 1 scores? (say..80?)

IM/Step 1 75/Step 2 82/US Citizen IMG
applied 27 programs
2 interviews - numerous rejections

well guys, does this mean I'm headed for the scramb.......?

Hello all!

FOR INTERNAL MEDICINE
My credentials: 84/88/pass, need J1, 2005 grad from Spain, 2 months USCE
I have 12 interviews right now and another one in wait list. Maybe 15-20 rejections ( I don't really count those).

Good luck to all of you. May we all get a position this year!;)

IM/Step 1 75/Step 2 82/US Citizen IMG
applied 27 programs
2 interviews - numerous rejections

well guys, does this mean I'm headed for the scramb.......?

I wouldn't say so.. remember all you need is 1 damn good one.... but I would definitely prepare... Good Luck.

IMG, applied late (2 week of Nov.) 60 programs 1-86,2-81,CSA, ECFMG certified, permanent resident 58 rejections. 2 Interviews that I believe I had a great feedback from both programs. Do I have a chance still for a MATCH. OB/GYN.:confused:

IMG, applied late (2 week of Nov.) 60 programs 1-86,2-81,CSA, ECFMG certified, permanent resident 58 rejections. 2 Interviews that I believe I had a great feedback from both programs. Do I have a chance still for a MATCH. OB/GYN.:confused:

Your chance is high, Do not expect those almost 50% FMG who match had more than that. The other 50% usually no interviews at all. Come march 13!!