IMGs with extensive CV seeking opportunities in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ykza5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm making this post on behalf of my mother and her husband.
Currently the situation in our country has gotten to the worst place there is, with both of them been unable to even practice in the country where they've been doing so for more than 20 years (if you wonder where, Venezuela).

Both of them are Ophthalmologists with sub specialties, my mother has a fellowship in Cataract and Refractive Surgery done here in the US, various publications and presentations also here in the US.

So I ask is there anything they can do here without needing to go through residency again? Will mi mother's US experience help in anyway?

I'm well aware they have to go through all the USMLE steps (and so are they) but going through residency again at 52 and 55 years old is not a good option (also ophtalmology is way to competitive for an IMG to get into right now)

Any help that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Some university programs will sponsor IMGs with extensive experience to allow them to practice under a special license in the U.S. They would not have to go through the licensure process required of regular IMGs who want to practice independently. In essence, they are allowed to practice as "visiting faculty" and are issued a special, usually very restrictive visa.

They should check with various institutions to see if they can obtain such a sponsorship. Short of that, the "normal" pathway (ECFMG, residency, etc.) is the only other option that I know of.

Good luck.

-Skip

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@Skip Intro I saw that special license in FL and I did not know what it meant... Can these people practice clinical medicine?

The answer to that is a qualified "yes".

In my case, there were several faculty where I trained that were assigned, essentially, "visiting professor" status and primarily worked with residents in a 2:1 ratio. They were not paid very much (slightly less than half of what a normal faculty member would receive) and typically had a 2-year contract. But, there was a pathway for permanent licensure, if they were sponsored by the institution. I know of at least 2 who accomplished this through this pathway.

It varies state-by-state and each person interested in this should check with the individual state medical boards and find a sponsoring institution who is willing to take them on.

-Skip

The answer to that is a qualified "yes".

In my case, there were several faculty where I trained that were assigned, essentially, "visiting professor" status and primarily worked with residents in a 2:1 ratio. They were not paid very much (slightly less than half of what a normal faculty member would receive) and typically had a 2-year contract. But, there was a pathway for permanent licensure, if they were sponsored by the institution. I know of at least 2 who accomplished this through this pathway.

It varies state-by-state and each person interested in this should check with the individual state medical boards and find a sponsoring institution who is willing to take them on.

-Skip
Thank you for your reply
My I ask where does one start looking for this? Is there a website or does it have to be through a university program?