ImPACT: Or, How to make money with good marketing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WisNeuro

Board Certified in Clinical Neuropsychology
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26291631

Man, I used my neuropsych training in the wrong way. If only I had thrown my integrity out the window and embraced bad psychometrics, I could be making a killing in the concussion, "PCS" and "CTE" worlds.

Btw, this isn't new, I've hated on the ImPACT for some time now. Their psychometrics were suspect even before this review. They just seized on the concussion craze when people just wanted to do anything to appease the hysteria, whether or not it actually measured anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have always preferred traditional neuropsych evals, though they aren't nearly as sexy and easily accessible as computer software. I know the authors of ImPACT and I think they have done some great work w. their clinic setup and treatment, but ImPACT was always the weak piece in the process for me. I wonder if they'll write a response to the journal article above.

Members don't see this ad :)
I imagine they will, although they don't really have much to stand on outside of studies done by people who make money from the imPACT. That was my beef with them too, independent labs showed mixed results and issues with reliability. The only consistently positive data that came up was confounded by potential financial incentives.

I started to write something about how psychoanalysis took off in the USA because of the marketing towards the upper class, and how this played out well in Argentina.

Then I got in a google wormhole about current stuff, and what I found was downright depressing.