Importance of a Master's Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clovers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just graduated with a B.S degree and my GPA is under a 3.0. I was wondering if a master's degree would help me get into dental school? A lot of people told me that adcoms look more strongly at your undergrad GPA versus graduate GPA. Even if you have a high graduate GPA, you wil be automaticaly filtered first round if your undergrad GPA is under 3.0. In that case, should I bother to apply to a master's program or should I do an informal postbacc where I just more upper division science classes at a 4-year institution?

Members don't see this ad.

Well I did masters program instead of postbac and I think it definitely helped my application. My GPA wasnt very high either ... although it was way above 3. I think your app will benefit from either postbac or masters program. The bigger issue is rocking the DAT - if you get 20's across and apply early you'll definitely get in somewhere.

You need to show them that you can handle graduate level coursework and there is no way better than actually showing that you can. Enrolling full time in a masters degree can make or break the deal. It certainly helped me a lot in getting into dental school of my choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
My GPA was also pretty low back in college. I did a master degree in organic chemistry, and got myself into a dental school. I didn't score all that well on DAT either. this should help you a little ?

As a fellow under 3.0 science gpa'er, I have had my share of difficulties of getting into dental school. I applied to dental schools this past year, and was was rejected to all of them and only waitlisted to one, NYU (which by the way, is the world's hugest beat-around-the-bush school ever when it comes to the status of your application).

So, instead of waiting around and praying for dental school acceptance, I have decided to apply into a master's program in biology, and hoping to reapply again, once I up my GPA. This also means that I will have to bust my butt once again studying for the DATs(since scores are only good for 2 years), but o well. Obtaining a masters will only help me, as of right now.

My GPA was high almost 3.9 but I did my masters as well even though I didn't tell them that I was doing it in my application which I wish I did..when I went to interviews and told them about what I am currently doing..it definitely impressed the interviewer and brought my application out..I would recommend you to do a master program and do great to bring your GPA high and research! ;)

Damn, I just started a thread like this. I'm such a newbie. Anyways, it seems like dental schools would want to look at your latest performance rather than past. Grades are generally higher in graduate classes because most people work harder. Hopefully when I send in my application, they don't stop reading it after they see my undergrad GPA, then thow it away. A Masters degree also shows dedication. I think it'll help out. I just don't know how much.

mahya said:
My GPA was high almost 3.9 but I did my masters as well even though I didn't tell them that I was doing it in my application which I wish I did..when I went to interviews and told them about what I am currently doing..it definitely impressed the interviewer and brought my application out..I would recommend you to do a master program and do great to bring your GPA high and research! ;)

what is your Masters in? did you really think you need it to get into dental school?

I did a masters more or less incidently and I believed that having this helped me get a spot in the 2006 cycle. I think if you have a low GPA a high graduate GPA (4.0 or close to it) will help you in your application. Of course, you also have to do well in the DAT. Good luck! :)