Importance of Cost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paintballguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to both LECOM erie and UNECOM. I liked both schools and would probably be happy at either. Of course UNECOM is an hour from my house making my decsion harder, tho I'm sure I will not have much time for visiting people. My main complaint is the cost of UNECOM being ~15k more per year. arrg. How much will this extra debt affect my life? Will I regret this extra debt later in life or will I find it a minor nuicance. I really feel I do not have expensive tastes, but paying that much more for a similar education bothers me.

Sorry for the rant. any input is welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been accepted to both LECOM erie and UNECOM. I liked both schools and would probably be happy at either. Of course UNECOM is an hour from my house making my decsion harder, tho I'm sure I will not have much time for visiting people. My main complaint is the cost of UNECOM being ~15k more per year. arrg. How much will this extra debt affect my life? Will I regret this extra debt later in life or will I find it a minor nuicance. I really feel I do not have expensive tastes, but paying that much more for a similar education bothers me.

Debt.. consider this.

Let's say you decide to go into internal medicine. You marry a teacher while in medical school who's getting rolling. You could run up 300k in debt through medical school and residency. OUCH!!! not really. The next day after residency ends you get a job as a hospitalist, and you can because they are that short and with the baby boomers neck deep in the middle of medicare when we finish, they'll need many more. You could use your wife's entire annual salary to pay off debt for 7 years, pay taxes and still bring home 12k a month cash after taxes...60k extra in debt is another 4 years of loan payments while still beginning to put away money for the long haul even if you're single. Marry a nurse you meet during residency and the debt gets paid off much faster....

If you would be much happier at one school vs. the other, then choose that school. If you would be happy at either school, then choose the cheaper one.

I am about 2000 miles away from my home, and it is not as hard as you think. Being away from home has benefits, most notably less distraction. You are going to have a lot less time to spend with your friends/family, so take that into consideration. You will also (likely) spend a good deal of time with your medical school friends, whether it be for studying or relaxation. Medical school changes a lot of things, so take that into account when making your decision.

Simply put, go where you will be the happiest. Rotations and such should be next on the list. If both schools are equal in those two areas, then go to the cheaper school.

Members don't see this ad :)

I haven't been to medical school yet, but I have been on both ends of a graduate degree where the earning potential is very good, but debt to finish was very high. Despite having the money to make the payments, it is still very stressful to know there is that debt hanging over my head. For $60k difference, IMO, you better have a pretty compelling reason to go to a different school. I guess being close to family can be a very compelling reason, but only you can decide how important it is.

It's $15K more now. Consider tuition at UNE goes up at LEAST 6% EVERY YEAR. Consider carefully.... with Obama-care sitting in the background, that additional $60-100K may be a HUGE deal.

And you're right, Bacchus. There have been many issues lately with the school, and as I have heard nothing, I assume nothing has really changed. The UHC clinics are open (for now) but no definite answers about what's going on there either. We have hopes the new Dean will be good for the school, but who knows. Unfortunately, as an MS-4, administration doesn't tell us much, and I'm away from the area until January when I'll be able to see what's going on with my own eyes again.

Last edited: