Importance of ECs during your Gap Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PikaPikaPika

I broke my ketchups....
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question.

So I was thinking about the timeline of doing a gap year and I realized that even if I land an awesome amazing job for the gap year, doesn't it really not affect admissions that much? I'd be applying June after I graduate and even if I update the application with the job after sending it in, isn't only 1-2 months on the job something trivial that adcoms won't take with much weight? You can't get an LoR or do much with it besides (hopefully) reaping in money to help secondary costs and all that?

I know it's beneficial to do something during your gap year to prove you're not some lazy bum, but does the nature of the activity (I'm working as a scribe for XXX emergency department!!!... or I'm working at McDonald's) really improve/decrease your chances anywhere?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Question.

So I was thinking about the timeline of doing a gap year and I realized that even if I land an awesome amazing job for the gap year, doesn't it really not affect admissions that much? I'd be applying June after I graduate and even if I update the application with the job after sending it in, isn't only 1-2 months on the job something trivial that adcoms won't take with much weight? You can't get an LoR or do much with it besides (hopefully) reaping in money to help secondary costs and all that?

I know it's beneficial to do something during your gap year to prove you're not some lazy bum, but does the nature of the activity (I'm working as a scribe for XXX emergency department!!!... or I'm working at McDonald's) really improve/decrease your chances anywhere?

Thanks.

Yes it does. You will be asked what you are doing during the year while interviewing, so you really have to be doing something.

However, what you are doing isn't really important as long as you continue your healthcare experience (volunteering/shadowing) and are doing something productive. Working at a fast food joint can teach you as much or even more than being an ER scribe. I have heard adcoms directly say that the type of job you do doesn't matter, but YOU NEED TO DO SOMETHING!

If you're a lazy bum, you may just be rejected.