Importance of fellowship prestige for post fellowship life??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danchiao

Reaction score
I understand that if we are comparing top10 academic center vs T100 community hosp, there might be lack of teaching and advanced technology if you train in community hospital. But what if we are comparing T10 to T50 let say John Hopkins vs UMinnesota (just randomly pick this center for easier comparison), would there be any different in postfellowship life if the ultimate goal is to work in a private practice setting?

Members don't see this ad.

Massive

The hospitalists will gossip behind your back regardless. The content will be different though :

Oh he went to jh...no wonder he's so smart
Vs.
Oh he went to jh...why he dumb af?

Going to a t50 everyone will just move on dispassionately

And we're not talking about afib.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I understand that if we are comparing top10 academic center vs T100 community hosp, there might be lack of teaching and advanced technology if you train in community hospital. But what if we are comparing T10 to T50 let say John Hopkins vs UMinnesota (just randomly pick this center for easier comparison), would there be any different in postfellowship life if the ultimate goal is to work in a private practice setting?

In my limited experience, there is no difference. What matters most is the market force

More important is where your fellowship is located so you can hear who the good practices are and preferably some of your programs former grads work there and know your PD.

Reactions: 2 users
In private setting it doesn't matter.
It may matter in academic career. Easier to go into academic cardiology from Hopkins than an unknown community hospital

In private setting it doesn't matter.
It may matter in academic career. Easier to go into academic cardiology from Hopkins than an unknown community hospital
How about if you compare Hopkins to T50 univ (let say Utah, Iowa etc) and not unknown community hospital? As far as I know, not a lot of people want to go for academic career due to lower salary etc.

Generally doesn't matter. What matters is who you are (and who you know) and what you can do. All else being equal, big name fellowship might give you the edge, but rarely is anything equal.

How about if you compare Hopkins to T50 univ (let say Utah, Iowa etc) and not unknown community hospital? As far as I know, not a lot of people want to go for academic career due to lower salary etc.
Yes everybody is different-some people want to academic career and its not for everybody. Like I said it doesnt matter if you are going to private practice. In general doesn't matter for most jobs
If you are going to a hardcore academic place and your goal is to be on a grant etc, there is some advantage coming from Hopkins versus Utah. The research contacts, assess to research etc is more in Hopkins. But sounds like your goal is private practice, so as most people said, doesnt matter