Importance of pre-clinical grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aayz345

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important are pre-clinical grades when applying for PM&R residency? I'm currently attending a schools that grades M1-M2 on a H/P/F scale. I basically stopped going to lectures and have been hammering FA/Pathoma/Boards/Anki/USMLErx. This method saves me a ton of time and allows me to be fully rested, however idk if I'll be able to get honors very often. Our school solely uses NBME questions, but they somehow throw in some NBME questions that test an obscure concept in lecture that never showed up in 3rd party material. I was thinking of supplementing FA/Pathoma etc with the class lecture slides so that I could get those few points on my exams. My school also doesn't have AOA

Do pre clinicals matter? Or is it better to focus on STEP and use the extra time for research and also have a life.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Goro smote me for asking this

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Goro smote me for asking this

Thanks for the warning. It's also important to note that STEP1 will likely be scored for the class of 2024. The initial statement said that the EARLIEST it would be switched to P/F was 2022.

EDIT: So he was basically implying that pre-clinical grades are still of low importance?

Last edited: