Importance of Step2 CK score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rd31

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MS4 here. If say I scored very well (260s) on step 1, but much worse (240s, maybe 250s) on step 2 CK, how much would this negatively impact my application post-interview?

I haven't gotten my score for CK yet but I felt destroyed by that test and can name tons of questions I already know I got wrong. I feel like I'll get all of my interviews based on step 1 and an otherwise strong application (AOA member), but after I update programs with my much lower step 2 score (many now require it for ranking, and ERAS has an all-or-none system for updating USMLE transcripts), I'll plummet in the rank lists...How much do residency programs really modify their rank lists once step 2 scores come in?

Members don't see this ad.

MS4 here. If say I scored very well (260s) on step 1, but much worse (240s, maybe 250s) on step 2 CK, how much would this negatively impact my application post-interview?

I haven't gotten my score for CK yet but I felt destroyed by that test and can name tons of questions I already know I got wrong. I feel like I'll get all of my interviews based on step 1 and an otherwise strong application (AOA member), but after I update programs with my much lower step 2 score (many now require it for ranking, and ERAS has an all-or-none system for updating USMLE transcripts), I'll plummet in the rank lists...How much do residency programs really modify their rank lists once step 2 scores come in?
What do you mean all or none? It's always been USMLE Step 2 CK can either be update or not. That being said, why freak out now? Why not do so when you get your score back FIRST?

Members don't see this ad :)

Besides California programs, I havent come across any programs that require it for ranking IM

What do you mean all or none? It's always been USMLE Step 2 CK can either be update or not. That being said, why freak out now? Why not do so when you get your score back FIRST?

What I mean is that if I need to send an updated USMLE transcript with my Step 2 score to even one program, ERAS automatically sends it to all programs that I've applied to. I can't pick and choose based on who requires Step 2 and who doesn't, as everyone will we receive my score if I hit the resubmit transcript button.

Just for the records, I believe on this forum several years ago they discussed how ck scores were automatically transmitted and so it is a relatively recent change

Just for the records, I believe on this forum several years ago they discussed how ck scores were automatically transmitted and so it is a relatively recent change
It's not automatically retransmitted unless you check the box for your Step 2 CK scores to be automatically retransmitted.

What I mean is that if I need to send an updated USMLE transcript with my Step 2 score to even one program, ERAS automatically sends it to all programs that I've applied to. I can't pick and choose based on who requires Step 2 and who doesn't, as everyone will we receive my score if I hit the resubmit transcript button.
This is true. You can either submit or not, you can't "submit to programs A, C, L, R, S and Y but not the rest". That's the way it's always been.

If you've already got the interview, and your score doesn't drop below the mean, I doubt anyone will care.
Any insight on if step 2 ck was lower than mean? say step 2 was a 235 (step 1 was 248). got interviews from decent programs like case and IU before step 2 came out and submitted step 2 score (per advisor and dean's recs). since re-submission then got some safeties and more decent ones like U of maryland.
1. would that affect the programs who invited before the score was sent?
2. and if the interviews were received after the score was sent (but i didn't send a mass email broadcasting the score to all programs), does that mean they've already taken it into consideration and still gave an invite?

No and yes. Or maybe yes and no. Possibly yes and yes, or potentially no and no.

Who cares? You've got decent interviews. Step scores are mostly a screen for IM programs. You got past the screen. Move on.

do you think it'll matter for ranking purposes? I am in a similar position, and am worried that when it comes time to rank, the schools will rank me lower for it.

do you think it'll matter for ranking purposes? I am in a similar position, and am worried that when it comes time to rank, the schools will rank me lower for it.
What are you going to do about it?

Not rank programs because they might rank you lower? That shows a complete lack of understanding of the Match process.

Not release the score? Well, that may work, but some programs may require it to rank you and then you're screwing yourself there.

Honestly, if you already got the interview, and you passed, just release it. One exam score (that's not a failure) will not appreciably change your rank order in the vast majority of places.