Important Pointer for 2015 MCAT Takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

W7227

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like I said in the other post, I just finished my April MCAT this afternoon...

A couple of pointers for the soon-to-be-examinees:

1. Knowledge is important, but strategy is more so!
2. MEMORIZE the 20 amino acids! Structures and respective acidity and basicity.

I know some review books said not to bother, but if I didn't memorize the amino acids, I am pretty I would at least get four fewer questions right.

And don't be frightened at the prospect of stuffing all 20 amino acids into your memory...it's not that bad. I only spent about 30 minutes, and I developed some useful mnemonics to help me. I'd be happy to share if you need it:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Did you take biochemistry before studying for it?

Nope! But I did pick up a biochem textbook to just read for fun (...what? it is fun!

Reactions: 1 user
Like I said in the other post, I just finished my April MCAT this afternoon...

A couple of pointers for the soon-to-be-examinees:

1. Knowledge is important, but strategy is more so!
2. MEMORIZE the 20 amino acids! Structures and respective acidity and basicity.

I know some review books said not to bother, but if I didn't memorize the amino acids, I am pretty I would at least get four fewer questions right.

And don't be frightened at the prospect of stuffing all 20 amino acids into your memory...it's not that bad. I only spent about 30 minutes, and I developed some useful mnemonics to help me. I'd be happy to share if you need it:)

What mnemonics did you use? I am freaking out because I haven't taken biochem yet, and this is a retake. I took the MCAT in January and bombed verbal, but now I'm studying all content to make sure I have the biochem down. How much biochem detail would you think I should know? I am using EK, what did you use?

EDIT- I am NOT asking for specifics from the actual exam, just wanted to know how much in detail I need to know biochem if I haven't taken the class, like you

What mnemonics did you use? I am freaking out because I haven't taken biochem yet, and this is a retake. I took the MCAT in January and bombed verbal, but now I'm studying all content to make sure I have the biochem down. How much biochem detail would you think I should know? I am using EK, what did you use?

EDIT- I am NOT asking for specifics from the actual exam, just wanted to know how much in detail I need to know biochem if I haven't taken the class, like you

I think I could chime in, I didn't take the official 2015 MCAT in April but I took the practice exam they released for it in December. I used it to practice for the old MCAT. (weird lol I know)

I'd say definitely take the time and memorize the 20 amino acids, the single letter and three letter abbreviations. Know the relative pKas of the important ones. I think there are 7. As far as biochem knowledge, have a basic understanding of kinetics, Km, Vmax and all the inhibitors and all that good jazz and you should hit most of the high yield stuff. Good Luck! I was one of the lucky ones who scored well on the Jan MCATs so I won't be retaking.