Important question about dropping classes before matriculation.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HOPEFUL09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So here is my situation. I graduated last May but decided to continue taking classes in my year off in order to keep my insurance and for something to do I guess. This semester I would not have taken classes but financial aid at my school messed my package up last semester (they gave me too much money and didn't realize it until the end of the semester, and the money was already gone towards bills, etc.). They told me that they could award me "extra" money to cover the bill only if I took classes this semester. So I enrolled in a few hours of stuff I thought might be interesting. Moving ahead, I got an interview and was accepted to a DO school. I have heard that it is important to have your finances in order before starting school and I have built up some credit card debt I wanted to get rid of before starting in August. I also wanted to make sure my credit score was high enough to get outside loans in the fall if I need them.

After being accepted I spoke with my advisor and she told me it was ok for me to drop my classes so I can pick up more shifts at work to work on paying off that debt. Not to mention, none of the classes count towards my degrees or prerequisites for medical school. So I dropped the classes and have been working extra hours since then.

This is my issue: I didn't realize that medical schools sometimes review your "final transcript" and I heard that dropped classes are bad. I had to stay in one course, which I will earn an A in, so that I wouldn't have to pay back my financial aid immediately. I will have WPs in the other classes this semester. I didn't call the medical school to ask if this was ok to do because I didn't realize it was an issue. Now I am really worried that my acceptance might be taken away because I dropped classes or because I didn't call to ask. I am nervous to ask the school though. Has anyone had experience with this? What should I do. I went back to my advisor and she said she would write a letter to the school stating that she advised me that it was ok and that I was doing fine in my classes (if it became an issue). My academic record is good (3.55 overall, 3.45 science, 32 MCAT). And I have only dropped one class in the past. Do I have anything to worry about? The school is KCUMB. Really sorry for the long post and thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on what your acceptance letter said and what classes you dropped.

I don't remember what my acceptance letter said specifically but I know it didn't say I had to complete all my classes. I think it said I have to submit a final transcript to show I had graduated. The classes were Political Science, Exploring the American Myth (an 8 week English class I had just started but will still be on my transcript as W because 8 week classes have shorter drop "periods"), Spanish III, and Human Nutrition 206. I think they are all freshman or softmore level classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
The class I stayed in is Marine Biology 305.

i think you will be fine.. because you have a degree, and have all req.'s for medical school (since your letter didn't say otherwise).. you can give them a call and let them know, but im pretty sure it wont be a problem

i think you will be fine.. because you have a degree, and have all req.'s for medical school (since your letter didn't say otherwise).. you can give them a call and let them know, but im pretty sure it wont be a problem

Thanks. For some reason I am sort of freaking out this afternoon.