Important Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbajones

BIG TEX
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok what happens if you dont include schools that you went to, but failed classes. I went UofH for a couple semesters but I never finished the classes and stopped going. What happens if I only give the med schools my transcript from SFA? I dont want them to know about the other schools I have been to. I know it's dishonest, but I've had some family problems and wasn't focused on school at the time.

Members don't see this ad.

think of it this way.... if they DO find out, what'll happen? best policy is to be honest with them, and the adcom find a way to understand if u explain ur situation. many people have similar things, but u can't expect them to be dumb. i think if they do catch u then it's much worse.

bubbajones said:
Ok what happens if you dont include schools that you went to, but failed classes. I went UofH for a couple semesters but I never finished the classes and stopped going. What happens if I only give the med schools my transcript from SFA? I dont want them to know about the other schools I have been to. I know it's dishonest, but I've had some family problems and wasn't focused on school at the time.

It's called fraud, and can result in getting expelled from med school, having licensure revoked and other nasty consequences if it eventually comes out. Not a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
someone please answer. has anyone done this? did u get caught and what happened?

it's clearly against the rules, and the consequences for breaking them suck.

you mean someone please give the answer you want to see. refer to the post above you for an explanation of the consequences.

you will get busted, and all your hard work will be for naught.

but I went to like 4 different schools (during summers) and never withdre so all the transcripts have F's on them. I'm sure there are applicants who have done this. My GPA is good at SFA and I ont wanna screw it up.

how will i get busted if i dont report it they wont know. they dont check every college in texas to see if i was enrolled stupid.

bubbajones said:
someone please answer. has anyone done this? did u get caught and what happened?

dude, if you can't be honest, don't go into medicine! i'm sure it's been done, but so what? if you turned things around, make that part of your story...

if you are a troll, then go away.

if your a ****** shut up. dude what the hell do u know anyways

look, we're just trying to give you honest responses. if you want to get hostile, go to your pre-health advisor and ask. you'll get the same one.

i wonder if you'll tell him/her that he/she is stupid and to shut up.

grow up.
:laugh:

bubbajones said:
if your a ****** shut up. dude what the hell do u know anyways
you have officially been blacklisted... we're givin u our advice, don't criticize it. take it or leave it. and.. if u look at it, everyone has said "don't do it" and here u are still tryin to. we don't care what u do.

Well Yall Think Yall Are Saints And Bein Sarcastic. Im Sorry If I Was Rude But I Cant Stand Rich Kids Who Think They Are Freakin God. Let Me Re Phrase My Question
How Can Med Schools Find Out If I Dont Tell Them?
How Do They Look Up My Name To See Wich Schools I Have Been Enrolled In?

Members don't see this ad :)
bubbajones said:
Well Yall Think Yall Are Saints And Bein Sarcastic. Im Sorry If I Was Rude But I Cant Stand Rich Kids Who Think They Are Freakin God. Let Me Re Phrase My Question
How Can Med Schools Find Out If I Dont Tell Them?
How Do They Look Up My Name To See Wich Schools I Have Been Enrolled In?
aight.. here we go. here is a slideshow presentation from the AAMC people.

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/advisors/2005slidenotes.pdf
near the bottom of the third page it says "we don't know unless u tell us" so... that answers ur question.

and this page might help u out
http://career.berkeley.edu/Ask/AskArchive.asp

also... i'm definately not a "Rich Kids Who Think They Are Freakin God."

aight, thas it. peace out

Don't be too angry bubbajones.

“Set” a spell and let’s see if we can approach this rationally. :)

Some of the folks who have given opinions so far have been in the same position you are in and they are definitely not rich kids (I include myself in this). So they know about coming back after a crappy undergrad performance.

Let’s see. Suppose you keep your semester or two (or three) of bad grades unwraps and gain admission to med school. You’ll be making good progress in pathophysiology or anatomy or some MS1 or MS2 class when BAM, some gunner will turn you in because they want to be number one.
gun.gif

Or you be an MS4, developing excellent clinical skills, a sure bet AOA and eyeing a coveted dermatology or radiology residency when KERPLOW some rat-fink will turn you in ‘cause they are afraid you might get that derm spot they really want. :smuggrin:

Or you’ll be in practice a few years when some WHAMMO, some “colleague” will turn you into the AMA, because they didn’t think you deserved that cushy position as Chief of Staff.
crying.gif

We live in a small world. You would be surprised how easy it is to get info (READ, DIRT) on folks nowadays.

Though everyone is nice at times, some folks can be vicious and brutal. Yes I would believe someone would turn you in to get rid of you. After all med students are exceptionally competitive. They have to be that way just to get in.

Yep, you’d always be looking over your shoulder for the shank in your back.
knifed.gif

Besides, why not transform yourself into “The-Comeback King? You know 38 MCAT, 4 semesters of straight A’s, a 3.7 in a Masters degree post-bacc, 500 hours of healthcare EC’s, LOR’s that paint you a medical prodigy… ;)

Write yourself an outstanding Personal Statement outlining “THE TRAGEDY” of your early undergrad days…. From F’s to A’s … I can see it in now !!! Use it MAN! USE IT!
(Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my chin) :p

I won’t mention words like unethical or dishonest or fraud…

You’re from Texas, that makes you better than all that…

Agape…

virilep said:
near the bottom of the third page it says "we don't know unless u tell us" so... that answers ur question.

Just keep in mind that each year things get a little more computerized, and it is not inconceivable that a few years down the road historic school-related information could be available online for academic credential searches (in the same way that credit history is available online today). Thus while you could perhaps get into med school these days without reporting this stuff and they will be unlikely to learn of it, it could be more readilly available a few years later when you are seeking residencies, med licenses/renewals, etc. The point of the prior poster that people who learn of this (or who remember you from the prior school perhaps) might be quick to turn you in is also a foreseeable possibility. If you go this route, you are really building your career on a flimsy deck of cards.

If you had legit reasons for failing the classes like bc medical
problems, I think that you could probably petition the school
and maybe have them changed to withdraws if you had really
good reasons....I know a few people who have done that after
they failed for medical reasons. Furthermore, I do not think that
anyone wanting to get back at you or something could obtain
your records without your permission.....schools do not release that
type of info because of privacy concerns. I doubt if it would come
back to haunt you in any way except through your own guilty conscience. :scared:

It definitely could come back to haunt you. Heck, if they found out about it 10 years down the road, they could theoretically take away your license to practice medicine. It's also just wrong to lie. AMCAS is explicit in stating that you must include all transcripts. You have the opportunity on your PS to explain exactly why this has happened. Like sunnyjohn said, you can do everything you can to improve your recent record, and hope that your explanation for the past is adequate.

See, just about all of us have things we'd rather the admissions committees not know. Some people have posts about institutional actions against them. Some of us have some poor grades we'd rather not have to report, like the grade I got in a summer course that I didn't think would matter too much. There are so many things people would love to withhold from the admissions committee, but we know that doing so wouldn't be honest and wouldn't be fair.

I was considering doing the same when I transferred to a Texas undergrad school to finish my requirements. I had two F's from a community college in Texas, that I did not want to report because they had a big impact on my GPA (like you, I didn't withdraw). I told the admissions folks what I was thinking of doing and, while reminding me that it was dishonest, she said that at that time (2 years ago) there was no system of checks in Texas. However, another admissions counselor at a Texas university told me that they were working on an interconnected database, but gave no time frame. Ultimately, I decided to be honest and retake the ****ty classes. I did this for a couple reasons. First, as soon as I was honest, I never had to worry about it again. Secondly, I've spent a great deal of my youth as a thief and liar and the only thing that made my life better was honesty. My eighteen year old self would kick my own ass for saying so, but all relationships (with self, others and god, if your into that) rely on honesty, and if you don't learn that, nothing (being a doctor, loading your pockets, or having sex) will bring serenity.

sunnyjohn said:
Don't be too angry bubbajones.

“Set” a spell and let’s see if we can approach this rationally. :)

Some of the folks who have given opinions so far have been in the same position you are in and they are definitely not rich kids (I include myself in this). So they know about coming back after a crappy undergrad performance.

Let’s see. Suppose you keep your semester or two (or three) of bad grades unwraps and gain admission to med school. You’ll be making good progress in pathophysiology or anatomy or some MS1 or MS2 class when BAM, some gunner will turn you in because they want to be number one.
gun.gif

Or you be an MS4, developing excellent clinical skills, a sure bet AOA and eyeing a coveted dermatology or radiology residency when KERPLOW some rat-fink will turn you in ‘cause they are afraid you might get that derm spot they really want. :smuggrin:

Or you’ll be in practice a few years when some WHAMMO, some “colleague” will turn you into the AMA, because they didn’t think you deserved that cushy position as Chief of Staff.
crying.gif

We live in a small world. You would be surprised how easy it is to get info (READ, DIRT) on folks nowadays.

Though everyone is nice at times, some folks can be vicious and brutal. Yes I would believe someone would turn you in to get rid of you. After all med students are exceptionally competitive. They have to be that way just to get in.

Yep, you’d always be looking over your shoulder for the shank in your back.
knifed.gif

Besides, why not transform yourself into “The-Comeback King? You know 38 MCAT, 4 semesters of straight A’s, a 3.7 in a Masters degree post-bacc, 500 hours of healthcare EC’s, LOR’s that paint you a medical prodigy… ;)

Write yourself an outstanding Personal Statement outlining “THE TRAGEDY” of your early undergrad days…. From F’s to A’s … I can see it in now !!! Use it MAN! USE IT!
(Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my chin) :p

Agape…
great use of story telling smileys. two thumbs up :thumbup: :thumbup:

hillbelly said:
I was considering doing the same when I transferred to a Texas undergrad school to finish my requirements. I had two F's from a community college in Texas, that I did not want to report because they had a big impact on my GPA (like you, I didn't withdraw). I told the admissions folks what I was thinking of doing and, while reminding me that it was dishonest, she said that at that time (2 years ago) there was no system of checks in Texas. However, another admissions counselor at a Texas university told me that they were working on an interconnected database, but gave no time frame. Ultimately, I decided to be honest and retake the ****ty classes. I did this for a couple reasons. First, as soon as I was honest, I never had to worry about it again. Secondly, I've spent a great deal of my youth as a thief and liar and the only thing that made my life better was honesty. My eighteen year old self would kick my own ass for saying so, but all relationships (with self, others and god, if your into that) rely on honesty, and if you don't learn that, nothing (being a doctor, loading your pockets, or having sex) will bring serenity.

Well said, hillbelly! :thumbup:

If you used your SSN# at those other schools, and some screening agency ran a check on you, they MAY unearth that you attended those schools. No, they won't be able to get your records, but they will know where you've been. How terrible will that be to have to admit an "ommision" on your medical school application!

virilep said:
great use of story telling smileys. two thumbs up :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks virilep! I do good work :D

sunnyjohn said:

Agape…

Wasn't "W" from texas ? :laugh:

Homer Doughnuts said:
Wasn't "W" from texas ? :laugh:

Dubya was born in CT and brung up in Midland and Houston....

Law2Doc said:
I think W's academic GPA shortcomings are well documented -- He never tried to hide them.

Yep, you can get C's at Yale no less and still do well!!

"The stars at night, are big and bright,
deep in the heart of Texas"
:p

Law2Doc said:
I think W's academic GPA shortcomings are well documented -- He never tried to hide them.

Among other things...a.k.a WMD