Impression of Med/Peds Programs from those who matched??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimmybee

Internal Medicine Hospitalist, formerly med/peds
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am just finishing my third year and I plan to go into med/peds next year. Right now, I was trying to get an idea of the different med/peds programs that people applied to this year. In particular, I am interested in finding out about those programs that are spread out in states that only have a one or two programs so I don't waste any of my money applying to schools that aren't that great to begin with. I am a michigan resident and my medical school is located there, but my fiancee really would like to go somewhere warm. So, while I want to know what people think about all of the programs, I also am really interested in learning about the programs in the south and the west. Especially, smaller programs like U of Mississippi, N.Orleans schools, South carolina.

Thanks....

Members don't see this ad.

UNC and Vanderbilt both have excellent med-peds programs. And it's warm, there.

Yeah.....I know they are good, but what is good about them? Are they competative? Is medicine or peds better than the other at them? How was the faculty, residents, etc? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at Vanderbilt... it is a small program, taking only 4 Med-Peds interns per year. My impression is that Medicine is stronger at Vandy, but I think with the new free-standing Children's Hospital, this might change in the future. I would highly recommend looking at this program (especially over University of Tennessee in Memphis).

I canceled my interview at UNC, but I heard that it is a good program as well, it's just that the hospitals are rather spread out.

Baylor was also a very good program... I found the Peds to be a little malignant, but probably it will straighten itself out within the next year or so. Houston is definitely a warm climate in which to live.

I know very little else about programs "out west" except that there aren't many... Med-Peds just isn't popular on the West Coast... at best you could get your training there and then go to the Midwest/East Coast.

UAB might be another program to look into... I didn't interview there, but I heard most of my colleagues say they really liked the program.

:)

Thanks for your replies...... How competitive do you think those programs that you mentioned are compared to other med/peds programs?

These excellent med-peds programs that you mention...do they have program directors that are also trained in med-peds? I really think it's important to have faculty that is med-peds trained. Does anyone know anything about Christiana Care in Delaware?

Of course I'd like you to come to my program, but it's no warmer than where you are now. I know the directors of both the Christiana Care and UAB programs, both sharp guys, both very involved in the leadership of the program directors organization for med-peds (MPPDA)