MD Impression of multiple in progress projects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hzreio

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
On my CV I have listed 4 projects I am involved in. They’re mostly in downtime right now, but I am wondering if faculty seeing this may be less likely to offer me opportunities because they believe I’m too busy/won’t have enough time to work on their stuff. Should I omit these projects from my CV?

Members don't see this ad.

Meh. I doubt it would hurt, but if you’re worried you could easily just put 2-3.

Just make sure that when these projects come off downtime that you can actually deliver on the projects you’ve committed to

Reactions: 1 user
I would say it depends on what stage they're in and what your role is. If you're not first author and someone is just writing up the manuscript, then you won't have a ton of time commitment even when the project does become active again. If you are first author but are waiting for your statistician to finish your analysis, then your time commitment when the project becomes active will go up significantly and you don't want to overextend yourself.

On my CV, I have a section for 'projects in progress'. I list the project, who the PI is, what my role is, the other investigators, a brief description and the current stage. This may help clarify things for the faculty you're sending your CV to.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should probably make sure you have the bandwidth to finish everything. It looks bad when you promise to do something but fail to deliver in a timely manner. That definitely gets noticed.

You should probably make sure you have the bandwidth to finish everything. It looks bad when you promise to do something but fail to deliver in a timely manner. That definitely gets noticed.

Not worried about that lol