Improved Chances with Masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhiKappaGuy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied in the Summer of 2014 and got rejected from all schools that I applied to. I graduated my undergrad with a BS in Biology with a 3.6 overall, a 3.5 in science, and an 18 AA on my DATs. I am going back this Fall to start to get my Masters in Applied and Industrial Chemistry and I am retaking my DATs in November with the hopes of improving my scores. I also have 250 hours of interning (200 under a dentist; 50 under an oral surgeon), as well as a 1.5 years of independent research with plant viruses.

The one dentist I interned under had similar grades as me but only had a 16 AA on her DATs and didn't improve them the second time she took them. After getting her Masters though, she was admitted to a dental school.

So how much will a Masters actually improve my chances of getting into a dentistry school?

Members don't see this ad.

I only took one DAT, I hope I'll be okay >.<!

The one dentist I interned under had similar grades as me but only had a 16 AA on her DATs and didn't improve them the second time she took them. After getting her Masters though, she was admitted to a dental school.

So how much will a Masters actually improve my chances of getting into a dentistry school?

From your current stats I believe you could apply broadly and have a shot at interviews and possibly get accepted. If your DAT becomes 20+ then you'll have a good shot at a lot of schools.

To answer your question, it really depends on how you perform during your master's program. If your GPA stays the same then a master's program really doesn't do much for your application. If your GPA drastically improves then it shows that you have grown academically and are more ready for dental school than ever. Nonetheless, I cannot see how a master's program could hurt an application as long as your grades stay the same or become better.

So are you waiting to apply next summer? If so I would not recommend taking the DAT during your semester. That is the only stat you have that is sticking out like a sore thumb. Your GPA is good, you have lots of shadowing experience and a good amount of research. An 18 isn't even drastically low, but compared to the rest or your stats it's the major thing holding you back. Take a month or two next spring after exams to study hard and try to get a 20+ on the DAT. You'll still be able to apply early and will be much more competitive applicant.

Also, don't compare yourself to anyone else just because you might have similar stats. Just because she got in with a 16AA doesn't mean it's likely for anyone else. The master's will definitely help, just focus on getting straight A's and maybe try to take classes pertinent to the dental school curriculum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I have the DAT scheduled for late November and I have been studying for about a month already so hopefully I can get it 20+.

Are you only getting the master's degree to improve your chances in dental school? You should have just retaken the DAT. Your GPA is fine, your DAT score was the problem. Perhaps the dentist you knew with the 16 AA managed to get in without retaking but that would seem more like the exception than the rule (and the DAT of an average matriculant was probably lower back then). The most effective thing to do is address the weakness of your DAT, not spend a year paying for a degree you don't need.

yeah dude you're totally on the wrong track, you need to improve your DAT not your GPA since it's already good enough. Don't believe everything the dentist tells you because their time was different from our time.

You can't compare DAT scores to someone who is currently a dentist, they are always going up....

Thanks for the replies. I have the DAT scheduled for late November and I have been studying for about a month already so hopefully I can get it 20+.

Dont waste money on the masters. Take the DAT mid Aug and submit then.

I agree, it's your DAT that needs work, not your GPA. What were your individual section scores on your DAT? Did you get any interviews? What does the rest of your app look like? What are your EC's? Did you do any volunteer work? I'd skip the masters and then just study, study, study for the DAT, get that 20+ and you should at least get some interviews.

your gpa is fine, retake DAT and kill it. there are about 15 kids in my class out of 100 with a masters, but this is usually the path taken for people with low gpas

I didn't get any interviews. The rest of my app looks fine. I could definitely improve my statement of purpose though. I have plenty of volunteer work as I am a fraternity member.

Reading: 24
PAT: 18
Science: 17
Quantitative: 18

^^^^ Might not be exact. I was so mad at myself when leaving the test center that I all but forgot my scores. I don't even know where the score sheet is that they gave me. I know I can do better and I am studying so that I can. The first time, I didn't give myself even time. I got caught up in all of my research and studying for my courses and only had about 3 weeks to study. I should have spent the money to reschedule but I didn't and now I have to pay even more to re-take it. Thanks for all of the advice guys.

Yeah that 17 science and 18 PAT is the reason. Improve that to a 20+ and you'll have a great chance. Applying with those kind of scores is pretty much just digging your own grave from the get go.