MD & DO Improved MCAT score, cGPA 3.59, sGPA 3.56

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rsb299

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I wasn't sure if this belonged in re-applicants or here.. I am actually a current applicant, but I also re-took the MCAT on 12/6 and received my new score yesterday. As the title states, I have a 3.59 cGPA, 3.56 sGPA. My first MCAT was a 25 (9 PS/9 VR/7 BS) and the second was a 30 (10 PS/9 VR/11 BS). This is the list of schools I applied to this cycle, with results listed as well (I submitted my primary before I received my MCAT which will explain why some choices seem bizarre):

MD:
1. Boston University (Rejected)
2. Creighton (No News)
3. Drexel (No News)
4. GW (Rejected)
5. Ponce (PR) (No News)
6. Saint Louis University (No News)
7. San Juan Bautista (PR) (Attended interview 11/14/14)
8. Sidney Kimmel (Jefferson) (No News)
9. Commonwealth Medical College (Rejected)
10. Tufts (Rejected)
11. Tulane (Rejected)
12. University of Missouri (In-State) (Rejected)
13. Pittsburgh (Rejected)

DO:
1. AT Still Kirksville (No News)
2. Alabama COM (No News)
3. Campbell (No News)
4. Chicago at Midwestern (No News)
5. PCOM - Philadelphia (Interview Invite 1/14/15)
6. PCOM - Georgia
7. Lincoln Memorial (No News)
8. NYIT (No News)
9. Pikeville (No News)

I applied to all of the DO schools very late this cycle. My main concerns now are figuring out what to do with the new MCAT score. I am not sure if it would be wise to withdraw all of my applications and re-try in the next cycle, because a 30 guarantees nothing and I have been fortunate enough to receive two interview invites. On the other hand, I think I would be a very strong candidate for these selected DO schools, especially if I were able to apply early in the cycle, in addition to being much more competitive at some other lower-tier allopathic schools. I really liked my experience at San Juan Bautista, but they do not have stellar residency match rates relative to other US MD schools, and now looking forward it seems like I might have the opportunity to have more choices.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Your first MCAT score was lethal for MD schools and you had no business applying to the PR schools if you can't speak Spanish. And Pitt? Really.

The new score is OK but a number of schools average scores, so you need to find out which schools take the best/most recent score, and update those ASAP. I wouldn't hold my breath on them, though.

The DO cycle is longer and while you might end up interviewing for a spot on a wait list, it's worth updating them. But be prepared for re-apps.

Hello everyone! I wasn't sure if this belonged in re-applicants or here.. I am actually a current applicant, but I also re-took the MCAT on 12/6 and received my new score yesterday. As the title states, I have a 3.59 cGPA, 3.56 sGPA. My first MCAT was a 25 (9 PS/9 VR/7 BS) and the second was a 30 (10 PS/9 VR/11 BS). This is the list of schools I applied to this cycle, with results listed as well (I submitted my primary before I received my MCAT which will explain why some choices seem bizarre):

MD:
1. Boston University (Rejected)
2. Creighton (No News)
3. Drexel (No News)
4. GW (Rejected)
5. Ponce (PR) (No News)
6. Saint Louis University (No News)
7. San Juan Bautista (PR) (Attended interview 11/14/14)
8. Sidney Kimmel (Jefferson) (No News)
9. Commonwealth Medical College (Rejected)
10. Tufts (Rejected)
11. Tulane (Rejected)
12. University of Missouri (In-State) (Rejected)
13. Pittsburgh (Rejected)

DO:
1. AT Still Kirksville (No News)
2. Alabama COM (No News)
3. Campbell (No News)
4. Chicago at Midwestern (No News)
5. PCOM - Philadelphia (Interview Invite 1/14/15)
6. PCOM - Georgia
7. Lincoln Memorial (No News)
8. NYIT (No News)
9. Pikeville (No News)

I applied to all of the DO schools very late this cycle. My main concerns now are figuring out what to do with the new MCAT score. I am not sure if it would be wise to withdraw all of my applications and re-try in the next cycle, because a 30 guarantees nothing and I have been fortunate enough to receive two interview invites. On the other hand, I think I would be a very strong candidate for these selected DO schools, especially if I were able to apply early in the cycle, in addition to being much more competitive at some other lower-tier allopathic schools. I really liked my experience at San Juan Bautista, but they do not have stellar residency match rates relative to other US MD schools, and now looking forward it seems like I might have the opportunity to have more choices.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Your first MCAT score was lethal for MD schools and you had no business applying to the PR schools if you can't speak Spanish. And Pitt? Really.

The new score is OK but a number of schools average scores, so you need to find out which schools take the best/most recent score, and update those ASAP. I wouldn't hold my breath on them, though.

The DO cycle is longer and while you might end up interviewing for a spot on a wait list, it's worth updating them. But be prepared for re-apps.

@Goro Thank you very much for the advice. I mentioned in the original post that my MD school choices would seem strange because I had submitted my applications before I received my first MCAT score. I also do speak Spanish, so I am confused by that remark. I had a great experience there during my interview (which was in Spanish), and my only concern was their residency matching statistics. I will update the remaining schools right away. Is there a good resource to determine if a school averages scores or accepts the best/most recent?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro Thank you very much for the advice. I mentioned in the original post that my MD school choices would seem strange because I had submitted my applications before I received my first MCAT score. I also do speak Spanish, so I am confused by that remark. I had a great experience there during my interview (which was in Spanish), and my only concern was their residency matching statistics. I will update the remaining schools right away. Is there a good resource to determine if a school averages scores or accepts the best/most recent?

OP, you mentioned nothing about speaking Spanish in your initial post, hence @Goro's confusion about your decision to apply to PR schools. With respect to their residency match rates, you have to get accepted to medical school before you worry about residencies.

Each school has their own policy regarding MCAT averaging, there is not one central resource which details this information unfortunately.

When did you submit your DO applications?

Reactions: 1 user
OP, you mentioned nothing about speaking Spanish in your post, hence @Goro's confusion about your decision to apply to PR schools. With respect to their residency match rates, you have to get accepted to medical school before you worry about residencies.

Each school has their own policy regarding MCAT averaging, there is not one central resource which details this information unfortunately.

When did you submit your DO applications?

@chemguy79 I understand I didn't explicitly say I speak Spanish, but I did note that I attended an interview there and had a great experience. I assumed that would have implied that at the very least the Spanish-speaking was not an issue. I'm sorry for the confusion, I should have been more clear about that. I do think that the residency matching issue is important prior to acceptance, because if I can re-apply and be competitive at more allopathic schools, I would want to withdraw my application from San Juan Bautista before possibly being admitted. I say this under the assumption that if SJB were my only acceptance, I would have no choice but to attend as turning down a US MD acceptance would ruin any future application chances. I hope that makes sense.

I was complete at all of the listed DO schools in mid-October.