Improved my GPA! But am I ready to reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.ryuk

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was rejected from the 2018 cycle, but I've made some app improvements and I think I'm ready for 2020. During this time I've worked as a receptionist/tech in an oncology office for a year and completed my first year in SMP. I will also begin research next week. Although my current app is ready for submission I could further improve my GPA and retake the MCAT if I apply next year. I would appreciate your honest feedback if you have the time. Here's a look at my stats...
  • Total GPA: 3.62, sGPA: 3.48
    • improved from my undergrad total GPA of 3.55 and sGPA of 3.33
    • discrepancies and Ws in undergrad coursework are explained in PS
    • achieved a 4.0 in SMP so far as well as in my final semester of undergrad
  • MCAT: 504
    • I had my first and only experience with test anxiety and managed to somewhat pull it together midway through (compared to the first half of the test, I scored 2-3 points higher in the last two sections despite them being my weaker areas) so I know I could do better
    • all of my advisers have recommended not retaking the MCAT because it's risky to attempt while taking SMP coursework and my current score is good enough to get in
The written portion of my initial application was honestly embarrassing. The nauseatingly flowery language was sure to induce at least one eye roll from adcom. I've completely scrapped my ps and activities section for a more simple and authentic approach. I've added my oncology experience and will include research in a couple of weeks. My ED scribe (>2500 hrs), president of service fraternity, and co-founder/vp of health org experience will carry over. I also swapped a rogue LOR in favor of a letter from one of the drs in the onc practice (4 in total). Finally, I switched up my school list to include more DO schools and just a few in state MDs. I'm aiming for Rowan SOM because I really like their PBL program.

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for most DO schools so apply to at least 12 and you should receive several interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
I was rejected from the 2018 cycle, but I've made some app improvements and I think I'm ready for 2020. During this time I've worked as a receptionist/tech in an oncology office for a year and completed my first year in SMP. I will also begin research next week. Although my current app is ready for submission I could further improve my GPA and retake the MCAT if I apply next year. I would appreciate your honest feedback if you have the time. Here's a look at my stats...
  • Total GPA: 3.62, sGPA: 3.48
    • improved from my undergrad total GPA of 3.55 and sGPA of 3.33
    • discrepancies and Ws in undergrad coursework are explained in PS
    • achieved a 4.0 in SMP so far as well as in my final semester of undergrad
  • MCAT: 504
    • I had my first and only experience with test anxiety and managed to somewhat pull it together midway through (compared to the first half of the test, I scored 2-3 points higher in the last two sections despite them being my weaker areas) so I know I could do better
    • all of my advisers have recommended not retaking the MCAT because it's risky to attempt while taking SMP coursework and my current score is good enough to get in
The written portion of my initial application was honestly embarrassing. The nauseatingly flowery language was sure to induce at least one eye roll from adcom. I've completely scrapped my ps and activities section for a more simple and authentic approach. I've added my oncology experience and will include research in a couple of weeks. My ED scribe (>2500 hrs), president of service fraternity, and co-founder/vp of health org experience will carry over. I also swapped a rogue LOR in favor of a letter from one of the drs in the onc practice (4 in total). Finally, I switched up my school list to include more DO schools and just a few in state MDs. I'm aiming for Rowan SOM because I really like their PBL program.

I won't lie: I don't think you should make "excuses" (for lack of a better word) in your personal statement. If they want to know about why you withdrew or why you did poorly, they'll ask during an interview. I withdrew from a class and they didn't care (didn't even ask me about it at any of my interviews). Use that space to give the admission committee a glimpse at who you are as a person and a student. I think it could be dangerous to put this in because they may look at you as a person who makes excuses. For instance, well I just didn't do well because of my teacher, or I was sick, or I didn't study hard enough. If this is the case then they may wonder what will prevent you from making such excuses in medical school.This is just my personal take on the idea of putting it in your essay. Maybe someone else has a different take, but I would (and did) leave that out.

I do believe you should re-apply though!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I won't lie: I don't think you should make "excuses" (for lack of a better word) in your personal statement. If they want to know about why you withdrew or why you did poorly, they'll ask during an interview. I withdrew from a class and they didn't care (didn't even ask me about it at any of my interviews). Use that space to give the admission committee a glimpse at who you are as a person and a student. I think it could be dangerous to put this in because they may look at you as a person who makes excuses. For instance, well I just didn't do well because of my teacher, or I was sick, or I didn't study hard enough. If this is the case then they may wonder what will prevent you from making such excuses in medical school.This is just my personal take on the idea of putting it in your essay. Maybe someone else has a different take, but I would (and did) leave that out.

I do believe you should re-apply though!
Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it! I actually completely agree with you on this and I highly value responsibility over excuses, but my situation is a bit unique and important to my personal development. My mom passed away my sophomore year of college and dad became completely unavailable. I was essentially homeless and living on canned soup, but I continued school full time while working horrendous scribe hours so I could get experience. One time I literally worked an overnight shift until 7 AM and had an exam at 8 lol. I don't include all of that in my PS though, I basically just state that this event happened and I persevered because I don't see myself pursuing any other career.
I have heard some different opinions on this so maybe I'll make a separate thread...

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it! I actually completely agree with you on this and I highly value responsibility over excuses, but my situation is a bit unique and important to my personal development. My mom passed away my sophomore year of college and dad became completely unavailable. I was essentially homeless and living on canned soup, but I continued school full time while working horrendous scribe hours so I could get experience. One time I literally worked an overnight shift until 7 AM and had an exam at 8 lol. I don't include all of that in my PS though, I basically just state that this event happened and I persevered because I don't see myself pursuing any other career.
I have heard some different opinions on this so maybe I'll make a separate thread...

Oh wow! That’s really cool that you pushed through all that. I’m also sorry that you had to be put in that position. You should be proud of yourself for making it through :)

I think that’s an excellent piece to put in your PS as it does show the type of person you are and what you are truly capable of as a med student!

DO schools will be good to apply to, but definitely state your reasons as to what happened in your application. Admissions commitee like to see how/why you got to where you are today.