Improving academic credentials via MA programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rangoon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a BA in biology but with a pretty mediocre GPA...~2.65. Post-bacc seems out of the question since ive already taken those classes. Also considering I work full time and would probably be only able to handle 1 class/semester it would take more time than I'd be willing to give for me to get my GPA up to a 3.0 to then even be considered for an SMP.

While I look at other options I'd like to keep the door open for med school at some point in the future if at all possible. Something Ive thought about is trying to apply for an MA program that might be a little more lenient on GPA requirements in order to bolster my academic credentials.

So my questions are:

If I aced a science related MA program and then did solidly on the MCAT would this be good enough for serious consideration to Med Schools? Or is it more realistic that I'd have to go: science related MA program --> SMP --> Med School.

Also one program Im thinking of is an MA in statistics. Should I be leaning more towards something bio/chem related?

Any input is well appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Conventional wisdom on these forums is that a good graduate GPA does not make up for a poor undergrad GPA. You've stated the reason for this yourself: it can be easier to get good grades in grad school than in undergrad. Adcoms know this too.

If you do some searching on these forums you'll see a variety of opinions on how an MCAT score can or cannot offset a poor GPA. Generally if your undergrad GPA is 3.0 or higher, then a great MCAT might get you some interviews. But if your undergrad GPA is under 3.0, no MCAT is going to clean that up. There are actual academic journal studies showing that GPA correlates with board score performance; MCAT does not. Adcoms know this too.

I suggest that when and if you're ready to seriously pursue med school that you clear your plate and go for it. This most likely means that you need to do a second bachelors or an SMP. I also suggest that you make friends with DO and/or the Caribbean.

Best of luck to you.

I suggest that when and if you're ready to seriously pursue med school that you clear your plate and go for it. This most likely means that you need to do a second bachelors or an SMP. I also suggest that you make friends with DO and/or the Caribbean.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for replying. Here's another question: what if I took a post-bacc to increase my GPA?

Is this just an absurd idea? I was under the impression that I'd need to retake intro level classes I got a C in anyways. Would I even be allowed into post-bacc programs considering I was a bio major?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for replying. Here's another question: what if I took a post-bacc to increase my GPA?

Is this just an absurd idea? I was under the impression that I'd need to retake intro level classes I got a C in anyways. Would I even be allowed into post-bacc programs considering I was a bio major?

Lots of us on this forum are doing just that. You can do a formal postbac, informal postbac, or a second bachelors. Actually you can't do a formal postbac, since those are for folks who haven't taken the prereqs.

You don't have to repeat C's in prereqs. You may want to, but you don't have to. Retaking prereqs is ineffective MCAT prep, btw.

Definitely do some math to see how much work you need to do to get your GPA up. It's going to be at least a couple years, full time.

Lots of us on this forum are doing just that. You can do a formal postbac, informal postbac, or a second bachelors. Actually you can't do a formal postbac, since those are for folks who haven't taken the prereqs.

i understand what a formal postbac and a 2nd BA are but whats an informal postbac?

Retaking prereqs is ineffective MCAT prep, btw.
thats suprising. How come?

Definitely do some math to see how much work you need to do to get your GPA up. It's going to be at least a couple years, full time.
I'll def. do that. I assume I should be seeing how long it would take me to get up to 3.0 for admission to a SMP, correct?

BTW thanks for taking the time.

i understand what a formal postbac and a 2nd BA are but whats an informal postbac?

Enroll as a "5th year non-degree seeking student" at any university that will take you, and just start taking classes. You may have limited access to financial aid, advising, and registration priority. Which is why some of us like me converted to 2nd bachelors.

Retaking prereqs is ineffective MCAT prep, btw.
thats suprising. How come?

Assuming you've seen the material before, and you need review, you can do one of three things: retake classes, take a prep course, or prep on your own. The prep course is going to give you a structured and thorough review of 4 years' worth of material for maybe $1500. Lots of people just prep on their own; there are tons of materials to choose from (I like Examkrackers) and anybody can take online practice tests. These two options are aimed directly at the MCAT, which regular coursework is not. Plus prep takes less time and money and doesn't show up on your transcript (which might be a good thing).

Now, if you want to improve your prereq grades (see elsewhere wrt repeated coursework not being terribly helpful for MD schools, but it's great for DO) AND you don't remember the material at all AND you also have time to do MCAT-specific prep on the side, then have at it.

I'll def. do that. I assume I should be seeing how long it would take me to get up to 3.0 for admission to a SMP, correct?

Not necessarily. You'll see anecdotes on SDN and on mdapplicants of people who get in with ~3.0. If you're an exceptional candidate, who has substantial extra-curriculars, and a strong MCAT, you might get to be another anecdote.

And again, look at DO. Unless you have a fragile ego or want to practice in France, there's nothing wrong with it.

There are SMPs that take under 3.0. Keep in mind that SMPs are cutthroat. Every student in the program is going double-or-nothing to get into med school, and you can't just do well, you have to do great. And they don't offer any guarantee that you'll get into med school.

My situation is sort of the same. I started a postbac with about a 3.0, and finished with about a 3.0. I applied this year to a boatload of MD and DO schools, with my ~3.0, a 31O, and piles of ECs, LORs and abundant youthful exuberant charm. If I don't get in, then I'll do an SMP.

...and from here I should let somebody else get a word in. Always get a second opinion!