Improving study habits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JakeSill

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In undergrad, how many hours did you put in studying each day? Do you study on weekends(Fri,Sat,Sun)? Do you take breaks while studying? What do you do on those breaks? How long are your breaks? How long do you go studying straight before you take a break?

I need to improve my study habits. Everytime I start studying, sometimes I get stuck and then I lose interest. I start search random stuff on the internet and after that I just don't go back to studying because I don't feel like it. Other times I just remember things I have to check online and I also get into searching random things online and never get back into studying because of lack of interest. I feel I should just not study with a computer or touch it. But then I go talk to my family lol when I close my laptop. I need to improve. Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

Option 1: work on study habits. Google it there are good books on subject.

Option 2: fudge your way through till orgo then beg doc for addy.

This sounds like a discipline problem. Search the cold turkey app

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like everyone is different and you need to find your own groove. For me, I like to do physical work (physics problems, projects, etc) during the week and review. I like to study upcoming material on weekends.

During the school year, I study most days. Typically, I do my heaviest studying on Saturdays and Sundays. My best tip for cutting down on internet distractions is to set time limits for each topic. Once your hour for organic or bio or physics is done, it's done and you move on. Also, I always make a checklist of things that I want to do.

I typically take short breaks every hour but my eye doctor has recommended that I break for a minute or two every twenty minutes, so whatever works for you is fine. However, if you are taking practice tests, finish the test and then break briefly. I have found that switching topics every hour or two reduces my need for breaks because I don't get bored as easily.

Reactions: 1 user
10 hour homework/study marathons on saturday and sunday - used this to complete all readings, assignments, or prep work for the week. monday-friday might do an hour or two a day. the problem is if you're heavily involved in research, volunteering, clubs, etc. finding dedicated study time during the weekdays can get a little tricky. just my experience!

Reactions: 1 user
Option 1: work on study habits. Google it there are good books on subject.

Option 2: fudge your way through till orgo then beg doc for addy.

Taking Orgo this summer. What about Physics?

I typically take short breaks every hour but my eye doctor has recommended that I break for a minute or two every twenty minutes, so whatever works for you is fine.

Ok what do you do during your break?

Ok what do you do during your break?

Get a drink of water, check facebook, things like that. Sometime I'll just sit back and relax for a couple minutes. If you are prone to getting side-tracked on the internet, I wouldn't recommend using the Internet during your break.

This isn't really about your study habits. "Why are you not interested?" is the real question in my opinion.

Are you interested in the future/career you've chosen for yourself? You need to get this figured out or take time off of school until you do figure it out.

If it's because you don't want to study, then take time off and go get a job instead of wasting your time and money.

If you legitimately want to study but can't bring yourself to, figure out if you're burnt out or not (doesn't sound like it).

If not, then figure out if you're studying the right material (reconsider your major/field of interest).

If all of that is straightened out and you're still having issues, then yeah it's probably a study habit thing.

This isn't really about your study habits. "Why are you not interested?" is the real question in my opinion.

Are you interested in the future/career you've chosen for yourself? You need to get this figured out or take time off of school until you do figure it out.

If it's because you don't want to study, then take time off and go get a job instead of wasting your time and money.

If you legitimately want to study but can't bring yourself to, figure out if you're burnt out or not (doesn't sound like it).

If not, then figure out if you're studying the right material (reconsider your major/field of interest).

If all of that is straightened out and you're still having issues, then yeah it's probably a study habit thing.
I actually do want to study. I actually start and I get side tracked with the internet. But the only way to stop this is not to use the internet.

I actually do want to study. I actually start and I get side tracked with the internet. But the only way to stop this is not to use the internet.

You simply need to discipline yourself. Think about your long-term goals and how you would feel if you didn't reach those goals because you were browsing the Internet. Also, I'm sure you can find some software that will block distracting websites.

Oh there's definitely programs to temporarily block certain websites for a certain amount of time. Like let's say you keep going onto… idk Youtube, you enter youtube.com on that program and set it for 3 hours; now even if you delete the program off your computer you still can't go onto youtube until the 3 hours are up. I have the same problem and this definitely helps (although I suggest leaving your phone at home… bc I just stop using the computer and use my phone.)

Oh there's definitely programs to temporarily block certain websites for a certain amount of time. Like let's say you keep going onto… idk Youtube, you enter youtube.com on that program and set it for 3 hours; now even if you delete the program off your computer you still can't go onto youtube until the 3 hours are up. I have the same problem and this definitely helps (although I suggest leaving your phone at home… bc I just stop using the computer and use my phone.)

Yup, try the self control app.

https://selfcontrolapp.com