Improving Undergraduate Science GPA or postbacc Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

philly419

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A brief summary of who I am....

I am 25 years old, will turn 26 in July of 2014

Graduated undergrad in 2010 from NYU completing all the pre-med requirements while majoring in economics...my science GPA is about 3.1-3.2 ( and my total undergrad science GPA is a 3.22)
Immediately after college I completed an MBA (GPA 3.72) with a concentration in Health Care Administration from Saint Joseph's University.

I plan on taking my MCAT June 13th of this year for the first time (aiming to get at least a 30)
I am currently doing research in Radiation Oncology and although it is only a part time (with pay) I am hoping to parlay it into a full time job and full benefits in september.

I live in Philadelphia and I am applying to Drexel University's IMS program (which consists of first year medical school courses) and Temple University Advanced Core Medical Sciences Program (also first year medical school courses)

In the Drexel Program, if a student gets a 3.5 GPA and a 30 on the MCAT they get a guaranteed interview at Drexel University College of Medicine (but not guaranteed acceptance)

But in the Temple University Program, a 3.5 GPA and a 30 on the MCAT translates into automatic acceptance into Temple University's Medical School Class the Fall Immediately after completing the Program

Should I do
1) either of these postbacc programs full-time at Drexel Or Temple and stop doing research in radiation oncology (Assuming I can get accepted into them) or
2) should I take more undergraduate science courses (most likely at Temple University) and continue to do research in research in Radiation Oncology?

Also is 27-30 Too old to enter medical school? I see a lot of people on this thread who are older but I want the unblemished truth... Will I be able to get married or have a family in my early 30s or will that be an impossibility with medical school and residency? I always wanted to be a doctor and have a family but it seems as if most people put off dating or getting married for 7-8 years from the start of med school till after residency

All advice is welcome thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Each of the options in front of you are good options. Do what makes the most sense for you on a number of factors (finances, location, etc). The research is a good EC for your application, and on that note I hope you are considering building other extracurriculars into your application before you apply.

As for the age to enter med school, 27-30 is certainly not too old to enter med school. Considering the average retirement age is 65 (many physicians enter full retirement much older), starting at 30 still gives you 25+ years after residency of full-time career.

Getting married, having children, sustaining a relationship are not impossible during med school or in residency. They are more difficult and add challenges, but if your partner is on-board, then it is doable.

Also is 27-30 Too old to enter medical school? I see a lot of people on this thread who are older but I want the unblemished truth... Will I be able to get married or have a family in my early 30s or will that be an impossibility with medical school and residency? I always wanted to be a doctor and have a family but it seems as if most people put off dating or getting married for 7-8 years from the start of med school till after residency

Getting married, having children, sustaining a relationship are not impossible during med school or in residency. They are more difficult and add challenges, but if your partner is on-board, then it is doable.

I have no advice about the SMPs (mine is not one of those), but I can talk about age and relationships. I'm going to start school at 40, which is not too old. I still feel like a 20 year old, so if you feel physically and mentally able, go for it. I usually got the naysayers who told me that I'd never financially recoup what I put into med school, but that doesn't matter to me.

Quik has the best advice about doing this with a partner- they have to be on-board and supportive. When you find that person, they will actually make this journey more tolerable. And once you do find them, you won't have to choose between the med school or them, the two will mesh together.

Your MCAT score will matter much more than any amount of work or research experience. A 30 can get your foot in the door; a 25 makes your struggle that much fiercer. Invest the time now (before your post-bac or SMP) to get a 30+ MCAT and you will be in much better shape when it comes time to submit your application.