in deep trouble, my life ruined?, i failed step2 ck again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p54

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that you can retake this test as many times as you want, but is it true that if you fail it 3x's that you cann't practice in the state of texas? Someone told me this, but I haven't been able to verify this. I also failed step1 the first time, but passed on the 2nd try. Can someone tell me where I can find out information about this online? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

LOL... I dont know if the TX thing is true but is doesnt make much sense. you need a medical license and that being said if you pass the tests you should get your license. I would def read Crush and then do a bunch of USMLEworld and read the answers. I felt pretty good about my test but I havent gotten my result yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
p54 said:
I know that you can retake this test as many times as you want, but is it true that if you fail it 3x's that you cann't practice in the state of texas? Someone told me this, but I haven't been able to verify this. I also failed step1 the first time, but passed on the 2nd try. Can someone tell me where I can find out information about this online? Thanks

To confirm you should check out the websites for the state osteopathic or allopathic medical association that you are interested in. Another good thing to check out is a book called Success Types for Medical Students by Dr. John Pelley (Texas Tech University). In it, he explains the Myers-Briggs personality types and how these impact the way that people prefer to process information, which is directly relative to test taking. Check out the website of the same name. I have a feeling that your situation has alot to do with information processing preferences, otherwise you are an intellegent person. Good luck and keep your chin up!

p54 said:

this is from the licensure section of the TSBME website:

(a) Licensing Examinations Accepted by the Board for Licensure. The following examinations are acceptable for licensure:

(1) United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE), with a score of 75 or better, or a passing grade if applicable, on each step, with all steps passed within seven years;

(2) Federation Licensing Examination (FLEX), on or after July 1, 1985, passage of both components within seven years with a score of 75 or better on each component;

(3) Federation Licensing Examination (FLEX), before July 1, 1985, with a FLEX weighted average of 75 or better in one sitting;

(4) National Board of Medical Examiners Examination (NBME) or its successor all steps passed within seven years;

(5) National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners Examination (NBOME) or its successor with all steps passed within seven years;

(6) Medical Council of Canada Examination (LMCC) or its successor, with all steps passed within seven years;

(7) State board licensing examination, passed before January 1, 1977, (with the exception of Virgin Islands, Guam, Tennessee Osteopathic Board or Puerto Rico then the exams must be passed before July 1, 1963); or

(8) One of the following examination combinations with a score of 75 or better on each part, level, component, or step, all parts, levels, components, or steps must be passed within seven years;

(A) FLEX I plus USMLE 3;

(B) USMLE 1 and USMLE 2 (including passage of the clinical skills component if applicable), plus FLEX II;

(C) NBME I or USMLE 1, plus NBME II or USMLE 2 (including passage of the clinical skills component if applicable), plus NBME III or USMLE 3;

(D) NBME I or USMLE 1, plus NBME II or USMLE 2 (including passage of the clinical skills component if applicable), plus FLEX II;

(E) NBOME I, plus NBOME II, plus FLEX II;

(F) The NBOME Part I or COMLEX Level I and NBOME Part II or COMLEX Level II and NBOME Part III or COMLEX Level III.

(b) An applicant must pass each part of an examination listed in subsection (a) of this section within three attempts, except that an applicant who has passed all but one part of an examination within three attempts may take the remaining part of the examination one additional time.

Good lord! P54 just provided me with even more motivation to study for this damn exam. I still got 2 and 1/2 weeks left and I don't plan on doing much else besides study. My dishes and laundry are stacked to the friggin ceiling!

P54, you mind telling me how you prepared for Step 2? You can send me a PM if you like.

Lesion Of Doom said:
Good lord! P54 just provided me with even more motivation to study for this damn exam. I still got 2 and 1/2 weeks left and I don't plan on doing much else besides study. My dishes and laundry are stacked to the friggin ceiling!

P54, you mind telling me how you prepared for Step 2? You can send me a PM if you like.
i think the reason i failed was because they wouldn't let me use my ear plugs that I brought with me. they would only allow the crappy head phones which actually made the noise worse because the seal is not air tight which allows the air to wisp through and create more background noise.
I don't understand. at the last test center they actually provided the ear plugs, and at another test center they let me use my ear plugs. I just couldn't concentrate without my earplugs

and btw...i'm pretty sure if i had used them i would have passed

i did crush, usmle secrets, boards and wards, and usmle world questions

on top of that I selected the auto release feature of my usmle transcript so now all the schools i applied to know i failed and thus i bet i won't be getting anymore interview invitations, plus they ones i will be going to know will know i failed :(

p54 said:
i think the reason i failed was because they wouldn't let me use my ear plugs that I brought with me. they would only allow the crappy head phones which actually made the noise worse because the seal is not air tight which allows the air to wisp through and create more background noise.
I don't understand. at the last test center they actually provided the ear plugs, and at another test center they let me use my ear plugs. I just couldn't concentrate without my earplugs

You've got to be kidding, excuse factory.

p54 said:

p54, how were you doing on usmle world? What was your final percent score? I'm amazed that someone could get through secrets, B&W, and usmleworld and still fail.

robotsonic said:
p54, how were you doing on usmle world? What was your final percent score? I'm amazed that someone could get through secrets, B&W, and usmleworld and still fail.

Dude, he wasn't wearing his earplugs. Try for one minute, if you can, to imagine passing Step 2 without earplugs. Personally, I used them during Step 2 CS as well and found them incredibly helpful.

sacrament said:
Dude, he wasn't wearing his earplugs. Try for one minute, if you can, to imagine passing Step 2 without earplugs. Personally, I used them during Step 2 CS as well and found them incredibly helpful.

I think you get extra points for wearing earplugs during the patient encounter.

p54 said:

on top of that I selected the auto release feature of my usmle transcript so now all the schools i applied to know i failed and thus i bet i won't be getting anymore interview invitations, plus they ones i will be going to know will know i failed :(

P54, either you are very well-adjusted emotionally to keep a great sense of humor in this situation or this is the perfect example of RATIONALIZATION.

Matter of fact, I just completed a block of USMLEWORLD qbank questions that used an example very similar to yours to explain this concept. It said the student, in reality, did not study hard enough.

Dude, you're a USMG, you'll get a spot somewhere (not rads or derm). And to cheer you up, a guy on another forum failed Step 1 SEVEN times and still got an interview at a hospital in NYC, so do what the above says, and follow your NBME very closely. I just got my score back on Step 2, mid 80's, I was pleased for a variety of reasons. Anyway, do many questions and evaluate yourself on NBME. As soon as I hit 500 on my last NBME I took test 5 days later. good luck!

p54 said:
shamefully, i have no excuse, i'm a us grad *holds head down in shame*
Don't feel so bad or it'll ruin your motivation for passing on the next attempt. Personally, I got mediocre scores on both steps and I knew I probably wouldn't have done better even if I had studied harder. After the first two hours of the exam, I had totally lost my focus and my main goal was to get the hell out of that testing center. I'd rather have taken it over several days.

p54 said:
shamefully, i have no excuse, i'm a us grad *holds head down in shame*

Don't be ashamed, you have alot of courage just for bringing this out when you could have kept silent. Don't let some of these other posts get you down, there are always vultures on these anonymous forums who take pleasure in pouncing on the misery of others knowing that there is no personal consequence for doing so. Everyone that is human has set backs in life, we aren't perfect. It dosen't matter that you have set backs, it matters what you do about it. I know a guy (US grad) that failed Step 1 three times and finally passed it on the fourth attempt. He kept after it and got a good residency. He had previously rotated at the hospital and made a good impression. Keep your chin up and good luck!

What is your school doing about this? I dont think the schools will let you graduate without step II. I've heard that some schools only allow you so many attempts and then you have to repeat the year?

thats not fair to you at all whatsoever, how in the hell is it that certain testing centers allowed you your own ear plugs and others didnt, thats alot of inconsistencies there, and you should complain about it, other than that, yeah I will wholeheartedly agree with you regarding the USMLE, ear plugs are mandatory, there are some stupid mo fo's out there who are incredibly disrespectful, I was ready to get up and shout at this stupid girl who would not shut the hell up, and actually did yell at her at one point, she was making so much fking noise, talking out loud, never closing the door when she took a break and making noises, and get this, I remember it for a FACT that I changed at least three answers from right to wrong just because I was distracted on my step 2 ck, even though I am currently in residency and had good scores, so I definitely agree with you, I mean imagine had I not had the earplugs, and this stupid girl was making noise throughout the entire examination, ironically, the same test as me, step 2 ck, so I wonder why would she not respect my space either.... anyways yeah study again, write notes into crush from qbank, usmleworld, and qbook or nms, or whatever you used, me I used the whole archive of questions on this planet probably, all of pretest at least once, nms most of it, usmleworld six times, qbank three times... overkill yeah, but at that time my career was basically on the line..
good luck to you.