In light of the recent URM Post

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yungdoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was born in South America and came to the States when I was 7. The "culture" in my home is hispanic, but I am also a quarter Korean and look more Asian than anything else. Would I be applying as a URM?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

South Americans are considered white. Hispanic URMs are essentially Mexicans, Mexican Americans and Puerto Ricans. There may be few others in Latin America but it's very school-specific

Reactions: 1 user
https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/urm/

2mhso55.png

Members don't see this ad :)
No.
I was born in South America and came to the States when I was 7. The "culture" in my home is hispanic, but I am also a quarter Korean and look more Asian than anything else. Would I be applying as a URM?

Latin, yes. URM, no.

US Census Data puts South American as Hispanic. So I see no issue checking the box.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much for the replys, everyone!

No.

Latin, yes. URM, no.

US Census Data puts South American as Hispanic. So I see no issue checking the box.
Hey Goro, I am just curious, would I check the Hispanic box only or both the Asian and Hispanic box? I really don't identify with my Korean culture at all but I do look asian and I have a Korean last name (I have both my parents' last name's with a hyphen in between. I am just curious because I had an Asian friend tell me to apply as just Hispanic and not Asian.

Hey Goro, I am just curious, would I check the Hispanic box only or both the Asian and Hispanic box? I really don't identify with my Korean culture at all but I do look asian and I have a Korean last name (I have both my parents' last name's with a hyphen in between. I am just curious because I had an Asian friend tell me to apply as just Hispanic and not Asian.
You may check any box you like. South Americans are not generally considered UiM. Language skills are always appreciated, though.
There is the potential that your choice may be perceived as disingenuous.
We have seen a spate of these recently. Mostly Filipinos applying as Pacific Islanders and (oddly) East Indians applying as African Americans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Are indigenous South Americans (quechua, aymara etc) considered urm?