In need for advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mike1234594

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
you're going to take an extra year regardless of whether you apply this year or not. might as well retake the mcat and apply next cycle

gap years are not a waste of your life. in the grand scheme of things, 23ish vs 24ish has 0 difference. your life would not be in the dumps if you start working at 32 rather than 31

Reactions: 2 users
This is either a troll or a very unfortunate situation. Either way, there is literally no chance of getting an interview anywhere with a 2 in verbal. Retake the MCAT and get around a 30/equiv and you'd be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
yes know, but tbh I don't won't to waste more time. I set everything so I would have my application ready for this cycle. I don't want to wait an extra cycle 2016-2017. Do you think my chances are nill with such stats?

you already answered your own question

also curious to know your language/reading background. 2 in verbal is rare

Hello everyone,
The application for 2015-2016 cycle started and I need an advice please because I am truly lost. I am a first generation student, a chemistry senior with an overall GPA of 3.9. I have countless hours of extracurricular, volunteer work, great leadership experience etc... I have done some research as well, not as significant though, but it was enough for me to get the experience and a letter of recommendation. I have five letters of recommendations from professors, hospital supervisor and my premed committee at my school. Furthermore, I have a very good story for "why I chose medicine" plus I am from a disadvantaged background (btw i'm Caucasian.) Well, here is the core of my problem. My MCAT score is very bad. I am not sure about the reason though. I have always excelled in all my prerequisites, I made an A in physics and ochem when the class average was F. I took my MCAT in January and I ended up scoring a 18 (8P,2V yes 2, 8B). I was shocked when I saw my score, knowing that my average on practice exams wasn't even close to an 18 (it was like 29). I requested a rescore but it didn't change. 2 on verbal? you can guess and make a 3, like this is not even a score for someone who's English is 4th language.
Anyway, I have to apply this cycle because I don't want to waste more time of my life. BTW I am 23-ish.
I think I have no chances of getting an interview with such a low MCAT score. I am not really interested in Caribbean schools, but i won't mind MD or DO paths.
What do you guys think? Serious answers only please, I am depressed.

Your going to have to retake the MCAT. If you get that done before September or october you can still get in osteopathic schools.

The MCAT has changed but you still have a fair amount of time to study for it. If you reach about a 500 (50th percentile) your in striking distance at many medical schools. At this point applying is a waste of time and money. Prepare for the new MCAT (Khan academy has some free videos that I used and suggest) and get your application out asap!

BTW great decision on not going to the carribean.

You people get more and more interesting every day.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't apply this cycle.

i am very honest, it is the latter. Even if I explained my situation?

English is my 1st language. I was surprised with my score as well. I never scored lower than a 7 on verbal !

you can't chose which mcat score to submit. schools will see that 18 regardless of whether you retake or not

You can either apply next cycle as a re applicant after being rejected and spending 3000 dollars on secondaries, or apply next cycle without spending 3000 dollars on secondaries. Your choice.

Reactions: 4 users
So you think that I should submit my application early, then retake the MCAT in August for example? Should I submit my first MCAT score(18) with the application or submit it with the new score?

If you must apply this cycle this is what I would do:

I would fill out the aacomas application get verified and apply to a throw away school. Once new score comes back (I would try to get it out by October for osteopathic schools) then apply to the programs you like.

If you want to apply to allopathic programs you might have to wait till next year since an October application is a killer. DO schools have a longer cycle.

TBH guys I am very concerned about my age. I am 22 now and I feel that I am too late in the process of going to med-school. Everyone i know either started medschool or applying now, even younger students, and I feel like I am behind. I am about to graduate and not sure what do next. This is the reason for why I am kinda depressed.

behind? the average age of people starting med school is 24. you're not competing with anyone in who finishes med school younger or faster. This isn't a race

Graduate, study for mcat and retake it. while you're doing that, go do some EC that you enjoy and is also beneficial to your app

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does this sound doable? Take my MCAT on July18th+submit my application. By the time the application is processed after 1 month I'll have my new MCAT score(August 18th.) Does it sound late? BTW what do you think about my other stats?
Make sure you have enough time to study and improve your scores. You don't want another bad score. I suggest 4 months of hardcore studying. For osteopathic schools October is fine. I got my secondaries out October / November and had a very successful cycle.

Your GPA is fine and will help you. Your MCAT is severely holding you back.

Do you guys think that 2 moth and half are enough as a prep for the new MCAT?
yep. you don't need a 98%ile score, you just need something to replace the 18

Here's the thing: you will be auto screened out at all schools. The 18 is too low for any school. In addition many schools have minimum section scores of like 6. Your application will never be seen by a human. You have no choice but to study and retake the MCAT. It would be extremely stupid to apply this year to MD schools.

Does this sound doable? Take my MCAT on July18th+submit my application. By the time the application is processed after 1 month I'll have my new MCAT score(August 18th.) Does it sound late? BTW what do you think about my other stats?
Don't rush it. The last thing you want to do is take the test again when you're not ready and end up with 2 very bad scores. Have you taken biochem and psych/soc? If not, you're going to need to spend some serious time learning it. August 18th is late for MD applications. It's not an app killer, but when you're already going in with one extremely low MCAT and one unknown, it's a big risk.
I agree with @DoctorSynthesis. Study, make sure you're ready (scoring >30 on timed AAMC practice tests), and retake the MCAT late summer/early fall. You can apply to DO schools (don't bother with MD this cycle) or wait till the next cycle and apply to both MD and DO. If you aren't getting the practice scores you want, wait and take the MCAT

Tons of people take a gap year or two. As others have said, the average age of matriculants is 24. In the long run, one extra year is barely going to make any difference.

The age thing :smack: -- Do you even know how immature that sounds!?

Quite simply, you will not be accepted anywhere (MD or DO) until you have a better MCAT score to replace that 18. So getting that better MCAT score needs to be your number one priority. Do NOT take another real MCAT until you are scoring consistently at or above the 65th percentile in timed practice tests. If you can get to that point this summer - fine. Take the test and shoot for a later DO cycle. (Apply to one DO 'throwaway' until you get your score back and know that it's acceptable.)

But whatever you do, DO NOT take the test until you're consistently scoring well. Unlike SATs, bad MCATs never go away. You've already got an 18 to explain. Don't add a 21.

Reactions: 6 users
What would you guys say about this: I have always wanted to be a physician especially after starting college, however, when I search deep inside, I can hardly imagine that it might take me two more years to start medical school ( I am not sure if I have the wrong ideology.) Like i feel the pain everytime someone asks me about my next time and when am I going to start medical school. Even my parents are worried that I might be lost because they know that all of my friends are MD1 and Md2. I am not a drama queen but just thinking about wasting more time after working really hard in my undergraduate to maintain my high GPA as a chemistry major and volunteering for countless hours, and in the end I find that I have two more years to start the first step. I think about myself now as a student with a highschool degree, nothing more or less. Sometimes I feel down when my family starts giving me live examples of how my friends or their friends' children started medicine or about to finish, or just successful in general(starting their PhDs, finding an awesome job). This is the main reason for why I sometimes feel like "old" or not an accomplished individual. Any mitigation is appreciated guys. Am I thinking wrong?

Yeah, you're thinking about it wrong --

If your MCAT were a 32 instead of an 18, it sounds like you'd be all set to apply, stepping off down the road toward great things... Get a good MCAT in the next few months, and you're still all set to apply (if this year, then DO; likely too late for MD this year). Your 18 is a speed bump, not a brick wall. You've got a strong GPA. You've got strong activities. Those won't go away or expire. None of the effort and hard work you have put in so far has been wasted.

(Unless you quit.)

When your friends and family members ask about the process, tell them that applying to medical school is a really, really hard process that takes a lot of time from beginning to end -- like a full year after applying. Tell them that almost 65% of the people that apply to US MD schools apply to an average of 15 schools but do not get accepted anywhere. Then let them know that you intend to be part of the 35% who does get accepted, and in order to do that, you need to fix a weak spot in your application -- and that because of the time of year, it might take you another year to get that done.

Then go and get it done --

Reactions: 5 users
What would you guys say about this: I have always wanted to be a physician especially after starting college, however, when I search deep inside, I can hardly imagine that it might take me two more years to start medical school ( I am not sure if I have the wrong ideology.) Like i feel the pain everytime someone asks me about my next time and when am I going to start medical school. Even my parents are worried that I might be lost because they know that all of my friends are MD1 and Md2. I am not a drama queen but just thinking about wasting more time after working really hard in my undergraduate to maintain my high GPA as a chemistry major and volunteering for countless hours, and in the end I find that I have two more years to start the first step. I think about myself now as a student with a highschool degree, nothing more or less. Sometimes I feel down when my family starts giving me live examples of how my friends or their friends' children started medicine or about to finish, or just successful in general(starting their PhDs, finding an awesome job). This is the main reason for why I sometimes feel like "old" or not an accomplished individual. Any mitigation is appreciated guys. Am I thinking wrong?

You're comparing yourself to other people too much. There are always going to be someone better than you, do things faster...etc. There are students graduating med school in 3 years. Would you say you're wasting a year of your life by not enrolling in a school that offers 3 year MD program instead of the traditional 4 years??

you're not going to get in med school with a 2 in verbal and applying late this year with a new MCAT (which might not be any better with a rushed test prep) will not help your case either. You can go ahead and apply now, but you will end up with the same 2 extra years if you apply next cycle.

There are people who start med school way older than you and they aren't any less accomplished than people who start at like 20. Your level of accomplishments isn't measured in how early you start med school or what path you took to get there, but mostly what you do with your degree once you earned it. It may be hard to see it that way right now, but you will. I was in your shoes and I'm glad I took an extra year (I should've taken another one, actually)

Hello everyone,
The application for 2015-2016 cycle started and I need an advice please because I am truly lost. I am a first generation student, a chemistry senior with an overall GPA of 3.9. I have countless hours of extracurricular, volunteer work, great leadership experience etc... I have done some research as well, not as significant though, but it was enough for me to get the experience and a letter of recommendation. I have five letters of recommendations from professors, hospital supervisor and my premed committee at my school. Furthermore, I have a very good story for "why I chose medicine" plus I am from a disadvantaged background (btw i'm Caucasian.) Well, here is the core of my problem. My MCAT score is very bad. I am not sure about the reason though. I have always excelled in all my prerequisites, I made an A in physics and ochem when the class average was F. I took my MCAT in January and I ended up scoring a 18 (8P,2V yes 2, 8B). I was shocked when I saw my score, knowing that my average on practice exams wasn't even close to an 18 (it was like 29). I requested a rescore but it didn't change. 2 on verbal? you can guess and make a 3, like this is not even a score for someone who's English is 4th language.
Anyway, I have to apply this cycle because I don't want to waste more time of my life. BTW I am 23-ish.
I think I have no chances of getting an interview with such a low MCAT score. I am not really interested in Caribbean schools, but i won't mind MD or DO paths.

You don't have a good story. You just don't. No one does. Sorry.
An 18 sinks your ship. Again, sorry, it just does.
No, you don't have to apply now. You won't get in anywhere decent anyway.

Last edited:
Along the lines of taking too long --- There's a poster here who's from another country and who completed an undergrad degree there, then applied to medical school here, only to find out that nearly all their coursework didn't count at all. That poster had to start all over with another BS degree. Plus US volunteering. Plus US activities. Plus US research. All over. From scratch. In a foreign language and different culture. (Should I add 'dancing backwards and in high heels'?) S/he was 30 before s/he could finally apply, even though they had not taken any time off. And when that persistence and dedication finally paid off, it paid off BIG TIME with multiple acceptances and several full-ride scholarship offers to some the top medical school in the country.

Now I certainly don't know if you've got that much native talent to work with - I suspect very few people do. But your GPA suggests you've got enough to make it. You're application has one [fatal] weak spot. Just Fix it!

Resilience is a very valuable trait, and absolutely necessary for a career as demanding as this one --

Pay very careful attention:

RETAKE THE MCAT!!!!

You're dead in the water right now for both MD and DO. Luckily you can fix it.

I was going to smack you a good one for the "I am 22 now and I feel that I am too late in the process of going to med-school" comment, but DoktorMom beat me to it. The only person you need to be comparing yourself to is yourself.

Do NOT take a career-deciding, high stakes exam until you are fully ready for it. Only you can determine that. If you have to sit out an app cycle, well, tough. Make good choices. Med schools are not going anywhere.

Hello everyone,

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

RETAKE THE MCAT!!!!

I was going to smack you a good one for the "I am 22 now and I feel that I am too late in the process of going to med-school" comment, but DoktorMom beat me to it. The only person you need to be comparing yourself to is yourself.

Do NOT take a career-deciding, high stakes exam until you are fully ready for it. Only you can determine that. If you have to sit out an app cycle, well, tough. Make good choices. Med schools are not going anywhere.
Actually, I have it on very good authority that medical school as well as the practice of medicine is going to be abolished after this year. We had a good run.

Teaching moment! We've had tons of students like this who crater in med school. They simply don't know how to deal with not merely the stress of med school, but failing at something for the first time. The their pride gets in the way and they never seek help. That's why we look for resilience.

i panic too much because I have never failed in my life.

RETAKE THE MCAT!!!!

+1

I completely agree! It's better to take your time studying than to rush into another test. Good luck!