In need of some guidance...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docE15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need to take the pre-reqs

Members don't see this ad :)
I am new here to SDN and I feel like I am in a position where I have no one else to go to. All my life I knew I was going to be a physician. I was in the IB program in high school and with that I graduated with a year of college credits under my belt. I started college as a sophomore and it was a slap in the face when it came to stress. My GPA was not terrible, but I did switch to Physical Therapy because (1) it was an easier path and (2) I was infatuated with the musculoskeletal system. So here I am now, already submitted my graduation application at 20 years old, but after shadowing for 300+ hours it finally hit me that I was in love with the science and not the practice. I also crave the involvement MD/DO's have in patient care. So I am now pursuing MD/DO schools but am completely lost.
My stats so far:
3.72cGPA/ 3.65sGPA/ no MCAT as of yet
ECs: (I believe this is the issue, I barely got involved)
-Group fitness instructor
-Clinical internship with PT
-Youth group leader
-Feeding the homeless
-Some independent chemistry/math tutoring
-Worked as a medical receptionist under both Psychiatrists and OB/GYNs for 2 years (separate practices, of course)
I have so many questions running through my head.
(1) Should I withdraw my graduation application and continue as a full-time student to take Orgo I/II, and Bio II, English 1/2 (since many MD/DO schools don't recognize IB) as well as join some professional societies and apply as a TA or university tutor?
(2) Graduate, apply as a non-trad and take the courses post-bacc while doing volunteer research and other volunteer EC's?
(3) Give up and live miserably?

If anyone, after reading my long rant, can help me through this? As well as give me some advice regarding strengthening my future application. I am leaning more towards DO..
Apply to schools that recognize IB- assuming your college gave you credit for it and it shows up on ur transcript.

You can do both MD or DO. You would be pretty competitive for DO - ofc we dot have ur mcat.

Take a gap year.

Just graduate and take the remaining courses either as a non-degree seeking student or save some money and take them at a CC.