In permanent residence pending status with a competitive (I think) app. 3.99/521. Whats my best bet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamr

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should receive interviews as an international applicant with your stats. You could wait another year but government bureaucracy is unpredictable.
Apply to all your Texas schools.
These OOS schools accept some internationals:
Boston University
Case Western
Emory
Dartmouth
George Washington
Georgetown
Harvard
Mount Sinai
Jefferson
Johns Hopkins
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
New York Medical College
UPenn
St. Louis
Stanford
Brown
Tulane
UCLA
U Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Washington University
Yale

Reactions: 1 user
You should receive interviews as an international applicant with your stats. You could wait another year but government bureaucracy is unpredictable.
Apply to all your Texas schools.
These OOS schools accept some internationals:
Boston University
Case Western
Emory
Dartmouth
George Washington
Georgetown
Harvard
Mount Sinai
Jefferson
Johns Hopkins
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
New York Medical College
UPenn
St. Louis
Stanford
Brown
Tulane
UCLA
U Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Washington University
Yale
Wow this is so great to hear! International applicants tend to be in the dark regarding which stats/experiences are competitive so this feels amazing to hear, thank you so much! An update to this situation: As of literally 2 days ago, I just received my green card interview invite so i will be getting the details about the date, etc. in a few days. The interview can be scheduled anywhere from a month out to 6 months out, just depends on my luck. And then the GC is usually received 2-3 weeks post interview, but theres no guarantee on that either. This is good because atleast I know I should have my green card at some point in the process and will be able to update schools about it.

Also here is my current school list:
All TX schools
Harvard
Johns Hopkins
Upenn
Stanford
NYU (Grossman)
UCSF
UCLA
Columbia
Washington (St.Louis)
Mayo (alix)
Weill Cornell
Duke
University of Pittsburgh
Yale
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
Northwestern University
Vanderbilt
Icahn - Mt. Sinai
Case Western (Cleveland clinic)
Chicago (Pritzker)
UCSD
- I will definitely look into the schools you sent, thank you!

Is it worth it to apply to schools that don't accept international students in the hopes that I will be able to update them with a change of legal status soon (hopefully)?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no point in applying to schools that do not accept international applicants. If you receive your green card, then you can add more schools as long as is not any later than early October.

There is no point in applying to schools that do not accept international applicants. If you receive your green card, then you can add more schools as long as is not any later than early October.
I actually did not know I could add schools after I submit so thank you for this! I think thats exactly what I'll do.

Sorry to bug you again but based on what I've found online, only McGovern medical school in Texas accepts international students. Based on this, should I hold off on Texas schools until I have my greencard and only apply through amcas for now? or just go ahead and apply to all texas medical schools as international and be ready for some rejection letters? :cryi: I was trying to see if you can add schools on tmdsas after submitting and I believe you can't

Sorry to bug you again but based on what I've found online, only McGovern medical school in Texas accepts international students. Based on this, should I hold off on Texas schools until I have my greencard and only apply through amcas for now? or just go ahead and apply to all texas medical schools as international and be ready for some rejection letters? :cryi: I was trying to see if you can add schools on tmdsas after submitting and I believe you can't
You should check with TMDSAS to see if you can add schools if you initially apply to McGovern only.

Hi @dreamr
TCU/UNTHSC is listed as accepting international applicants (AMCAS).
Although it doesn't "look like" you can add schools on TMDSAS after you submit, you actually can add more schools by messaging TMDSAS within the application portal and asking them to add more schools.

I just reviewed this year's MSAR, and only Baylor and Texas A&M say that they take international student applications on a "case by case" basis.
McGovern doesn't list international at all. If you happen to be a Canadian citizen currently, several more TMDSAS schools look at Canadians as their only internationals.

My advice would be to work on your TMDSAS application as you have time, submit to Baylor and Texas A&M only for now, and add the other TMDSAS schools if you get your green card this summer.

Last edited:
Hi @dreamr
TCU/UNTHSC is listed as accepting international applicants (AMCAS).
Although it doesn't "look like" you can add schools on TMDSAS after you submit, you actually can add more schools by messaging TMDSAS within the application portal and asking them to add more schools.

I just reviewed this year's MSAR, and only Baylor and Texas A&M say that they take international student applications on a "case by case" basis.
McGovern doesn't list international at all. If you happen to be a Canadian citizen currently, several more TMDSAS schools look at Canadians as their only internationals.

My advice would be to work on your TMDSAS application as you have time, submit to Baylor and Texas A&M only for now, and add the other TMDSAS schools if you get your green card this summer.
Thank you for taking the time to do this! I just checked msar as well and I am pleasantly surprised that Baylor and Texas A&M accept internationals on a case by case basis! Any good news is a big victory right now haha. It is weird thought because I called Baylor SOM admissions and the person on the other end said that I have to have a green card at time of applying, not too sure what to trust now. I checked McGovern's website and they accept PR pending statuses (exactly what I am) but not internationals, thank you for clearing that up. I will also definitely look into how I can add schools on TMDSAS by messaging through the portal.

Also an update to whoever is following this thread @Faha : I have received my green card interview date and it is in the first week of June. According to blogs and forums online, people generally receive their GC 2-3 weeks post interview but that is not guaranteed. Should i continue on my plan of applying to schools that accept internationals and PR pendings as soon as I can and then add more schools once i get my GC? or do i need to change up my plans in any way? Also, is applying first week of July super late? I'm grateful to even have that option currently but I am just wondering how much my chances would drop.

Once again, thank you all so much for taking the time to do any of this. It's really a tough and confusing situation for me and you all are providing me the best guidance by far. Thank you so much.

@wysdoc I did some more searching and this is what i found for baylor SOM:
Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 1.53.49 PM.png

It seems like the "case-by-case" might just be referring to the fact that they accept canadian citizens or that their MSTP program accepts international students? I am not a canadian citizen nor am I applying MD/PhD unfortunately :/

@wysdoc I did some more searching and this is what i found for baylor SOM:
View attachment 337063
It seems like the "case-by-case" might just be referring to the fact that they accept canadian citizens or that their MSTP program accepts international students? I am not a canadian citizen nor am I applying MD/PhD unfortunately :/
That’s why your best bet is to wait on the rest of the Texas schools and apply when you are officially a permanent resident

Reactions: 1 users
That’s why your best bet is to wait on the rest of the Texas schools and apply when you are officially a permanent resident
Got it. I will hold off on those schools until I actually receive my green card. Thank you!

Applying in July is not late.
Great! So based on this, should I hold off on all apps till July so I can apply as a PR to all schools or stick to the previous plan and apply asap as an international (to schools that accept internationals), update the legal change to schools when I get the GC, and add the remainder of the schools at that time? I feel like Im being a little neurotic by asking very similar questions again, I apologize, but I just want to make sure that I'm choosing the best route possible in this weird situation. Thank you once again

Great! So based on this, should I hold off on all apps till July so I can apply as a PR to all schools or stick to the previous plan and apply asap as an international (to schools that accept internationals), update the legal change to schools when I get the GC, and add the remainder of the schools at that time? I feel like Im being a little neurotic by asking very similar questions again, I apologize, but I just want to make sure that I'm choosing the best route possible in this weird situation. Thank you once again
Yes, apply in July if you receive your Green Card by then.

Yes, apply in July if you receive your Green Card by then.
Okay, fantastic, thank you so so much. I appreciate everyone that has made an effort to help. I also just learned that at the end of the GC interview, if all goes well, they stamp your passport which serves as a temporary GC while the official one arrives. If this is truly the case, and all goes well, I could potentially apply as a PR in June!

For whoever is following or might need this in the future:
- My plan is this: keep working out my TMDSAS and AMCAS apps for the next few weeks. Go to the GC interview, hopefully all goes well. Apply as soon as my passport is stamped. If any hiccup occurs in June, I will wait till July. If the matters haven't improved in July, I will probably just revert back to the old plan and apply as an international for the time being and update schools about my legal status change when i do receive my GC in the process.

Thank you so much everyone, I truly appreciate it.