In state or Out of State School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socaldpt12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have currently been accepted to 2 schools that I would want to go to. One is about 5 miles from my house in CA and the other is across the country in DC. I am very torn between which to chose.

If I plan on practicing in CA does it matter if I go to DPT school in DC?

Is it worth all the extra money and effort to start a whole new life in DC to get the same degree in CA?

How should i compare the schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea about the cost of living in CA, but so you know, not only will you be paying substantially more for out of state tuition, but DC cost of living is insane. I've mentioned it in other posts, but I chose not to go to a school near DC (Arlington- all Northern VA is expensive) partly based on how crazy rent costs there, among other expenses. I know people with really high paying jobs that live in people's basement apartments running them around $1000 a month (that's one room- they have to share everything else with the house owner + utilities). If you're around LA, you are prob. numb to bad traffic, otherwise, traffic in Northern Va is another factor contributing to a long commute. Not trying to discourage, but rather let you know in advance what you might face.

i say save your money. practicing therapists have told me that all that matters is passing the boards-where you graduated from is only mentioned in general conversations.

I have a little different perspective on this. Have you always live in CA? And you said you plan on practicing in CA? Why not try living in DC for 3 years and get the experience of somewhere new?

I was born and raised in MI, when to college in MI, and now am in DPT school in MI. However when I got my undergrad degree 10 years ago I worked in consulting and lived in DC/Northern VA for just over a year. What a fantastic experience. It introduces you to new people, new thoughts, new environment. I wouldn't trade that in for saving some money in PT school. And now I know what it's like to live away from my friends and family, and how independent I really can be. In your early 20s you are the least tied down you'll ever be in life. Enjoy that! And pray for an income based loan forgiveness plan :)