In state residency status after completing post bac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CycleCA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm kind of caught in a catch 22 as far as residency status for some out of state schools like the University of Vermont, University of Miami, etc who have post bac programs I'm interested in... the thing is that I want to be considered an in state applicant for whichever school I end up going to, because as it is I live in California where there are TOO many people applying for too few spots. I spoke with residency officers and other admissions people today about how they determine residency, and I even looked at state residency guidelines, but so far what I've found is info related to calculating tuition for in state vs. out of state, and not in state computations for determining admission to the med schools, which is what I've been looking for. Basically, I'm trying to find out if I will be considered a resident when I apply to med school in whichever state I'll be going to for the post bac... for instance, Vermont had 85 applicants to their med school from in state, and about half got in. If I went to vermont's post bac program for a few years, and continued living in Vermont for the glide year, would I be considered an in state applicant? Same question with Florida. I think that my question, in general, is pretty important and I haven't seen it discussed on here before... many many people apply to out of state postbacs and residency status is a huge issue since so many schools prefer/accept in state applicants only.
Signed,
the guy in CA who's in residency limbo

Members don't see this ad.

I'm bumping this poor, lonely thread. Anyone know what the deal is with my residency question? :hungover:

From what I recall, Ohio grants you residency if you go to school there for 12 months. I remember this because some SMP listed it as a benefit of their program. HTH

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I recall, Ohio grants you residency if you go to school there for 12 months. I remember this because some SMP listed it as a benefit of their program. HTH
In OH, those 12 months almost always have to be consecutive. In most states, to determine residency you have to live in that state for 12 months (almost always consecutive) and be a tax paying citizen or have parents that claim you as a dependant and are residents.

I heard something weird about people who have residency in Washington DC. Apparently they are considered residents of all states. Which menas you could be considered an in state resident for PA, OH, NC, etc. If true, that'd definitely bost you med school chances.

ohio is 12 months but you won't be considered a resident until you apply to another school. won't be a problem for medical school if you are applying from a postbacc/smp, but just to clarify....

PS:
ohio has the most lax residency requires that i know. many state med schools, 1 DO school that gives pref to IS apps, and 2 SMP programs (cincinnati and toledo). if you're moving from california, ohio is where i would go.

texas is probably the hardest to get residency (ie live there for 5 years W/O going to school, etc.)

every state has different requirements. you need to look them up.

i'm not sure about other states but for NC, even if you did a postbac here and were granted residency, UNC and ECU show much more preference to people who have lived here their entire lives or a great portion of it in NC.

Also, i'm assuming you mean UM in miami, fl, FL schools don't have a huge break on cost for in state/out of state and obviously UM is private so there is no difference at all. so if you're looking for a "cheaper" med school option i might consider a different state.

good luck but know that this process if expensive and a crap shoot anyways, regardless of residency status. in my opinion, while i know the # of applicants is more than double from california than any other state (or something like that), i don't think giving up california residency is a great idea. if you do manage to get into a UC school, you're education will be top notch and dirt cheap. something to definitely consider.

You sure? It says 12 months prior to enrollment. I don't think being a student would count?
This is how it is for OH (here's the state guidelines). You are not considered a resident for OH under state education guidelines unless you've been there for 12 months CONSECUTIVELY OR can establish immediate residency via moving there for a reason other than educational purposes. If you own land, pay taxes, etc it helps prove your status as a "resident". If you move there and are just a student you will not be considered a resident unless you meet specific guidelines which are listed in that document. From what I was told just going to school in OH doesn't count unless you meet the criteria listed above. That's just my understanding from reading the guidelines
A person who has been a resident of Ohio for all other legal purposes for at least 12 consecutive months
immediately preceding his or her enrollment in an institution of higher education and who is not receiving, and has not directly or indirectly received in the preceding 12 consecutive months, financial support from persons or entities who are not residents of Ohio for all other legal
purposes.
UC is saying otherwise, that doesn't make much sense to me. But hey, if it works I'm guessing you have to get an Ohio license and register to vote and stuff?

OK is similar to OH, also has a loophole that you can apply for residency if you marry a resident of OK.

NJ is the easiest of all to prove residency b/c you just need a lease and a drivers license I believe.

MI is one of the HARDEST states b/c you need 12 months consecutive residency WITHOUT taking ANY educational credits.

from personal experience:

it's relatively easy to gain residency in ohio. if you go to an SMP program (or any school) in ohio for 12 months, when you apply to ohio medical schools, you are considered IS. this is 12 months from the moment you send in your app, not 12 months before your expected matriculation. being a student counts as long as you are paying at least half your living expenses (loans count). there are exceptions (eg marrying an OH resident).

but if you apply to an ohio school as an OOS, it's generally harder to change residency status with that school even after 12 months. so if you are in an OH 2 years master's program as an OOSer, after 1 year, you are still considered OOS for that school for tuition purposes. but if you apply to medical school after 1 year, you apply as an OH resident.

Not true. You can read about texas residency here:
http://www.admissions.txstate.edu/future/residency.html

i stand corrected.